“Good rooms, comfortable sleep but a bit noisy from car park”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Nelspruit
Reviewed 5 July 2017

We stayed in 110 - bottom floor. I would stay away from that side due to proximity to car park. Pool facing will be better. We ended here unplanned as it was too late to drive back to JHB - luckily we had a change of clothes. They could not pick up my Prokard details which i found strange as i logged into my account using my mobile. I was disappointed that the prokard rate was about the same as the walk-in rate. As they struggled with prokard profile - i had to just take the walk-in rates.

We were tired so opted for the buffet supper. The home made chilli sauce was the bomb! variety was not that good for a Saturday night. Only had Chicken, Wors and Pork for main protein. They had a grill and when i asked what was available for grill - nothing for the buffet - only the a-la-carte. This is disappointing - at least have some fish or steak for a weekend?

The food/beverage manager on shift that night was great. We had 2 families with 3 kids of various ages. The kids were running around and playing with the balloons - especially our little 3yr old. They set up the PS4 for the other kids. Some people at supper complained about the noise around the time the kids were ready for bed - so we went to sleep.

Breakfast was good - usual fanfare. I expected to see more fresh fruit - melons were not sweet and juicy. good breakfast.

Room Tip: bottom floor (no lifts) - pool facing (away from parking area)
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 June 2017

As advised by the receptionist, water is complimentary and you could call reception any time to request. Called reception and an hour later I was still waiting for the water. Had to walk to reception to get my own water cause they forgot about me. To top it off, when I called to speak to the GM I was conviently put through the person who gave the water at reception. How convenient- receptionist working together to cover their own mistakes. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Garrick G, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

Dear m0gien

I am in complete shock to have heard of your experience at our Hotel. Please accept my apologies for they way in which we dealt with your request. I can assure you that this is not our standard and all will be done to rectify these short comings.

In order to deal with this matter on property, i would like to obtain more details regarding the events mentioned in your review. I would like to request you email me on garrick.grabe@proteahotels.com with your details and I will then make contact with you to discuss the matter further.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards
Garrick Grabe

Reviewed 2 June 2017

the place is nice with welcoming and friendly staff. The dinner service was not so nice though, varieties of drinks were not always available. The electricity in the room was sometimes cut off (dont know why), but the staff was very helpful and quick to respond in situation like that. There was no gym.
Overall, nice place and close to most amenities.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

Battling to connect to wifi for the past two days I spent here

The tv news channel should also cater for local as to know what is happening around us instead of Aljezeara and CNN only. As for the Soweto TV it's a turn off . Rather put Mzansi Magic there.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Garrick G, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Dear Abe T

Thank you for your review.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused by the WiFi that was offline during your stay. The system was down due to some errors in the software. The WiFi service provider tried to rectify this as quick as they could. The WiFi was back up and running yesterday afternoon(1 June 2017).

We have noted your comment on the television stations and will conduct a further survey to establish the need for a change.

We trust that this stays experience will not deter you from utilizing us again in future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Garrick Grabe

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel has been revamped.We love the decor up upgrades.The menu has been revamped and prices lowered. Good family value.Staff are very motivated and helpful.Food is excellent as in well prepared and good portion size.We love the Protea group and use their Prokaryotic for best deals.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nelspruit
3.5 km away
0 km away
Panorama Guest Farm
Panorama Guest Farm
#5 of 18 in Nelspruit

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit? Share your experiences!