See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 March 2018

They were not aware of my booking. I specifically requested a room with a bath but was then given a room with a shower. I was then moved to another room but when I wanted to go to bed, the linen was dirty. Website is very misleading

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Called to enquire, as the trip advisor reviews were so bad. An Afrikaans lady answered. Wasnt helpful said I should check the reviews on FB etc. And that these e=reviews were done years ago. I told her the last one was last ear Sep16... a few months ago. When I asked about the layout downstairs that they open into the restuarant and its not private and everyone can hear everyone speak.. as reviews said..it appears its still the same. Their sie just looks stunning but the layout is the same.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank SandiaSunshine
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Only 3 reviews so far this year! On arrival, we were received by Siya the night guard, who was the high point of our visit. He could not do enough to help us. Parking was a serious constraint. There were 2 non guest vehicles in an already very small parking area. We booked a family room due to luggage requirements. We declined an upgrade offer to the Honeymoon suite, but on arrival had been upgraded anyway. Our heavy luggage now had to be carried upstairs. The room at one point had been very well appointed, but now suffered a serious lack of maintenance such as chipped vanity, loose soap dishes, cracked bathtub bottom, missing shower drain cover, loose handrails (safety issue), aging furniture etc. Nowhere to put used teabags etc, had to use a glass. Used tea candles not replaced. We had a good nights sleep, but when having a shower in the morning, my towel had old stains on it, 2 mornings in a row (cringe). When looking out of the bathroom window, one sees a roof with plastic over it and rocks holding it down (Farmhouse?). The front view from this honeymoon suite is stunning though. OK, so we will go down for our booked breakfast at 07H30. Not a soul in sight, only Siya the night guard who was already into overtime but would not abandon his post. A short while later we had to let another staff member in the gate with our remote. The Manageress does however stay on the property in one of the guest rooms. By 8am we had to leave without seeing the Manageress or having our breakfast. When booking out we only saw the Manageress due to requesting that they call her from her room at 8am. Her dress code was not conducive to her position but was more suited to home lounging on a Sunday. We recently stayed at the Babbling Brook B&B in Pietermaritzburg and received 5 times the service and quality for 65% of the cost. It must be noted that whoever cleans the rooms in the week is in the same category as Siya. The rooms were spotlessly clean on arrival.
NB! We, unknown by management, booked in as potential buyers of the establishment. Needless to say we found it wanting and overpriced. We have moved on.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce D
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Nels River the staff are friendly and helpful. It's situated in a quiet suburb of Nelspruit. So no noise from busy roads.

The room I stayed in was the love room which is upstairs, and had a view of the river. Although open plan so the bedroom,bathroom and lounge area does not have any doors leading to them this didn't bother me as I was alone.

There are some down falls though, the breakfast is set and there is no selection. All the rooms lead straight to the breakfast area, and at night if you talk everyone can hear what you are saying. It is difficult to get in and out of the parking.

But otherwise a good stay.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed 28 April 2016

Nels River Guesthouse is a great place to stay. I really enjoyed my self at the guest house with great services , the rooms are clean and high hospitality from the staff. I regards it as my new home every time I visit Nelspruit. Thanks a lot for all care and hospitality , Nels River Guesthouse rockssssssssssssss!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business