Lowest prices for your stay
USD 126
USD 107
Priceline
USD 113
eDreamsUSD 107
TravelocityUSD 126
Trip.comUSD 251
1,399 results
All reviews elephant whispers the river kruger national park ceiling fan tour group stayed here for nights thatched roof our honeymoon south africa minute drive game drives beautiful place phabeni gate lawn elephants safari ephraim
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 January 2021

we really enjoyed our time at Hippo Hollow. The staff has been super kind and professional, preparing a special welcome to us in the room as we were just married.
Atmosphere is very relaxing, you can enjoy breakfast looking at the river and if you are lucky spot some Hippos.
The night was amazing, there has been a dance show from locals dancers and amazing special food options like Crocodile and Worms. Everything was super fresh ! Just a paradise in the middle of south Africa ! very recommended!

Date of stay: August 2020
1  Thank Francimau1
Reviewed 19 May 2020

Located in the Hippo Hollow Country Estate on the outskirts of Hazyview the property's restaurant is a charming place with a terrace overlooking the Sabie river. Lunch was rather unique and mouth watering (particularly the dessert). I do strongly advise anyone to have a meal there if you happen to be in the area.

Date of stay: January 2020
Cristel Jonker, General Manager at Hippo Hollow Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2020

Dear Iolanda A

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it very much.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our main restaurant and that you found the food and service above your expectations.

It was such a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2020 via mobile

We went to Hippo Hollow during the day to see if we could book a table for that evening. Not only did they book us in, they showed us around (and we got to watch some Elephants across the river) and then convinced us to join them for their entertainment (traditional dancing) and buffet. We arrived later, not knowing quite what to expect. The entertainment was great and the food was excellent - I think possibly the best meal we had all trip. Would definitely come back again!

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Kristinaamanda

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it very much.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us at Shangaan River Club, we were honoured to host to.

Thank you for all the compliments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2020 via mobile

I first stayed at Hippo Hollow about 10 years ago when also traveling for business and loved it. So when I found myself in that neck of the woods again, I thought I would go back.

All that has changed is the size of the establishment. It is substantially bigger but equally better. The staff were superb, there was a delicious glass of iced tea at the gate for me while my reservation was processed and off I went to me lovely cool air conditioned chalet.

I had one overlooking the pool on a lovely sunny day. The property is also situated very close to the Kruger National Park for game lovers.

There are three restaurants on site that could cater for my vegan requirements and I chose the main one with a buffett of Salads as starters. There was also soup. This was followed by a delicious vegan curry and a variety of desserts. Scrumptious.

It was a little cool that evening so I did not sit on the deck overlooking the river where there are real hippos but I did sit on the deck the following morning for breakfast. So beautiful.

It is still a delightful treat to stay there and I am so pleased that it is doing so well and is so lovely. It has become fondly known as the ‘happy hippo’ between colleagues and I from 10 years ago and I am happy to report that it remains the happy hippo for me.

A beautiful place with beautiful people. A must.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear 99julesm

Thank you so much for your beautiful review, it was such a pleasure reading it.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your welcome, the location, the restaurants, the food, the service and your overall stay. We loved having you here! The staff would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2020

Visited for the show & dinner at the Shangaan River Club. It was a excellent evening with authentic dances and a great buffet. The show was really full of energy and the dinner very tasty with lot of traditional choices and tasty desserts. Perfect organization!

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank Regenerator101

Dear Regenerator101

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it very much.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us at Shangaan River Club. It was a pleasure hosting you and hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards