“What has gone so wrong ”

Thava Indian Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 107 Restaurants in Ballito
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

We had a shocking lunch experience.
Upon arrival greeted the manager who was very friendly on our last visit. He was distant and seemed stressed. Knew then something was wrong and should have left.

They kindly put a table outside for us. Stunning view, almost right on the beach. Asked for a corona beer. Don’t have. Chose two beers - they were warm!! Drank them anyway.

Ordered our favourite onion bhadjies. They were so bad could not taste the onion - just a big lump of very greasy dough.

Ordered a glass of white wine. Warm. Barman - who was very rude and unhelpful - said no other bottle!!! Use ice!! If I wanted a glass of ice that is what I would have ordered. I wanted cold wine.

Ordered fish curry and simple Logan josh lamb.

Fish was mild as asked for but it was flavourless. Tasteless. Bland, tough fish pieces in yellow thick slush. Rice horrible.

Lamb curry was also bland and mild , we ordered medium which is normally quite spicy.
Had served some on plate and did not eat when realised it was a stew.

They took it back and our plates with the lamb pieces not eaten.

Only brought back the gravy. Asked manger for a new organ josh - medium.
Again he brought back the gravy with no meat with chilli.

So no warm rice, no lamb curry. Had to pay for it. I did not have even one piece of lamb.

Was horrible food and horrible service .

Mlamuli was trying to be helpful even though he was not serving us. He noticed the wine issue. Unbeknown to us he put a bottle in the freezer. Very clever and thoughtful. Sadly by the time he brought it we had finished our awful food. He needs a promotion.

Sadly our last visit there. Won’t be back

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

We visited Thava after been recommended by friends we started with the onion bargees and the king prawns the prawns were amazing the bargees were so hot the burned my throat my husband had a chicken vindaloo which he loved I ordered a chicken korma but again I was disappointed as the chicken was dry and the spice was not like any korma I had tasted before they did take it away and bring me another one but again not to my taste don’t think we will return

Reviewed 25 January 2018

A taste of real North Indian cuisine is what you will experience at Thava. Conveniently located in the Ballito area of Natal near the main resorts, it is within walking distance from La Montagne, for example. About 20/25 minutes walk at a medium pace. Thava is part of the Boathouse complex and has superb ambiance and overlooks the Indian Ocean shoreline of Ballito, North of Durban. Our take was that it could be described as SA/Indian "fine dining" such was our positive experience. A romantic setting by day or night. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

In my opinion , this is the best Indian Restaurant on the North Caost. The tastes generated in the kitchen are excellent and we are never disappointed. We are fotruante to have such an authentic Indian Restaurant right here in Ballito.
PS There is always enough to take home for the next day.
We often take advantage of the Take Away Menu..

1  Thank Garth M
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We went to this restaurant looking for bunny chow and were disappointed that they didn’t have it but decided to stay. We ordered different prawn curries with garlic naan. Although the naan was more of a flatbread than the naan’s we’re used to in the UK it was delicious. We both loved our prawn curries too. The house speciality one was quite hot and although I ordered one that was supposed to be medium they looked worried about me having chilliest so I asked for them on the side. I didn’t get them so I think their was a language barrier but it was very nice mild anyway!