“Overprized !”
Review of Beluga - CLOSED

Beluga
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We had dinner at Beluga yesterday. As a starter we ordered some prawn dumplings (84ZAR) from the Dim Sum menu as well as some sashimi (112ZAR).
Whereas the food was good it was ridiculously overprized. I got 3 tiny pieces of dumpling for 84ZAR. I complained about it and was told that 'the Dim Sum is imported from Singapore'. So what does that tell me? Apart from being overprized its not even fresh. The sashimi was 4 mini pieces, the smallest portion we were ever served in a restaurant.
As a main course I had some tuna Sushi which was ok (albeit also not cheap). Hubby had a Teppanyaki Combo for 175 ZAR which was neither good nor bad.
Also they only serve 1l bottles of water and no 500ml which I found certainly irritating.
We paid 621 ZAR for a very average meal and I even left hungry.
Despite the taste being ok, we will not be back. Much better food out there !

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We decided to try the Pearl Bar for sushi and was pleased with the sushi. Will be back for more... soon.

1  Thank TAMISH-ZN
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Lunch in a mall is always dicey!! St Beluga no different!! I was watching those untrained girls rolling the rice taking chunks of rice and rolling it after dipping her hand in her bosom and then carry on with our food.. such untidy sushi????? I was shocked !!! One girl had no idea how to make the prawn salad... she kept asking what to do!!! I am fluent in Zulu and could understand everything... I'm holding hands that I don't get sick!

1  Thank Aaltjie
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We frequented beluga in ct so we're excited to have the chain here.

The service was terrible. The food indescribably bad. The chef has never seen Japanese sushi. The sashimi was soooo thick it was chunks. The platter had been sitting around for a very long time. The salmon had changed colour. It was inedible.

The manager brought a desert as an apology!!! I don't eat desert. Give a refund to lure us back. A desert???

In fact nothing will get us back. What a shame. Bad food is bad value even at half price.

1  Thank Mespey
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I am not too sure whether I am being harsh but my review is benchmarking Beluga Ballito with the Belugas in Gateway and Cape Town.
The service is very good and the staff are friendly. One part of their training that they do remember is to keep wine glasses full and thereby encourage the purchase of another bottle!
I ordered the Green Plate of sushi that came without the seared tuna. This was soon rectified with an apology and the seared tuna was cold and probably seared that morning.
The salmon roses on my plate had the hints of "caviar" on top but that on my partner's plate did not.
The Caron rolls had been pre prepared some time earlier. The prawn inside the roll was cold and the "tempura" batter around the prawn tasted like the standard household fish batter.
I think what I am trying to say is that second best seems to be the normal standard today. A pity.
Supervision and an attention to quality is obviously lacking.
Although the manager was helpful and apologetic and we received another better prepared Caron roll free of charge it does not make the situation any better.
We would be happy to pay for good food at good prices but with the competition now available in Ballito the wheat will be sorted from the chaff.
C'mon guys - polish your stars!

1  Thank Stephne A