All reviews midlands meander separate toilet lovely hotel grand old lady old world charm general manager ideal location curry a la carte menu rooms are spacious clean hotel room service food was fantastic will stay there again our honeymoon natal midlands prawns
Reviewed 12 April 2017

From the moment I arrived I should have known this was not going to be a positive experience. The security guard was talking on the phone and barely managed to communicate asking me why I was there - Driving alone at 9:30 I would have imagined that going to check- in was an obvious answer. The reception was cordial and without giving me any assistance despite my foot being in a brace. when I could not find my room I finally found a cleaner who escorted me to my room - with a mop in his hand. The room was adequate but had a damp smell and when I asked for a two- prong plug to charge my phone was told that they never had one - Really!!. In the morning another guest had the same complaint and we were told that the plug on the dressing table should work - but neither mine nor hers ever did. At breakfast I had to ask three times for coffee. when I decided to check out a day earlier than planned the receptionist never even asked why I was leaving early. Despite paying for bed & Breakfast there was no comment on a refund on breakfast or questions about my stay? Once again I struggled with a limp and files and walked through the lobby with no assistance from staff or person at the door. All together not a good experience, and the external charm of the building was certainly not carried through into the lived experience.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 13 April 2017

Good Afternoon DianeV957,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the review regarding your last stay.

Our aim is to provide all guests (especially you) with an unforgettable hotel experience and your honest feedback is an important part of that process. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us.

We are happy to inform you that even though we have experienced some issues with our security, this has been rectified. We are also able to use your constructive feedback as a training tool to ensure that all our GUEST's expectations are not only met, but exceeded.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future

Kind regards
Melinda Nakedi

Reviewed 4 April 2017

Great venue for conferencing, plenty of rooms and centrally situated close to the N3, good for conferencing for townies wishing to get onto the Midlands without travelling to far, facilities good, old world charm greets you, roaring fireplace in December was strange but the weather fluctuates where four seasons can be experienced in one day,

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 5 April 2017

Good Morning NerveEventsSA,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review regarding your last stay,

I am glad that you loved our conferencing facilities as we always strive to deliver the best GUEST service.

We see that you got to experience our amazing weather, where it ranges from a misty drizzle to a scorching hot day.

Have a wonderful day and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

We stayed at the Protea for 3 days at the end of Feb 17 and the room was well equipped and OK for a standard business type hotel. We left and returned again two days later and were in the next room to the original stay. It was exactly the same so we knew what should be there. However the hairdrier was missing, the safe wouldn't work and the soap dish was missing from the bathroom. We reported this within minutes of moving into the room and were greeted with totally passive response.

Needless to say we mentioned it again the next morning as we went out pointing out that our valuables were unprotected since the safe was not functioning.

After the two night stay we checked out but later that day when in another hotel, I needed the USB memory stick which had been on the desk in the room but which I could not remember packing in my business bag. I couldn't find it anywhere and concluded I must have inadvertently left it on the desk in my room at the Protea. I called the hotel three times and had a totally negative response and they did not ring back as they had promised. Next day I called again and spoke to Tim the manager who was profusely sorry about my problem and promised to hunt for my USB stick. He did call back and said that it had not been found but would get Brenton the head of housekeeping to do a search and call back- he never did. I had told Tim that if the missing item didn't turn up, I would have no option but to treat it as theft and would report it as such.

So beware, if staying at the Protea, make sure the safe works and your valuables are in it otherwise they might go missing as was my case.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the ground floor near reception because you'll probably have to make many trips there to have your rom key reprogrammed
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank PaulT555
Management response:Responded 13 March 2017

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Duty Manager about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Hilton.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for all the inconveniences that you experienced. As mentioned by Tim, when our GUESTS depart and any items are left behind, the items are immediately reported to our Housekeeping Manager, logged in our lost-and-found book and safely locked in our lost-and-found storeroom. The room that you have stayed in was searched numerous times, but unfortunately no item was found.

Our aim is to provide all guests (especially you) with an unforgettable hotel experience and your honest feedback is an important part of that process. We once again sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel TEAMS to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Hilton.

Kind Regards
Melinda Nakedi

Reviewed 13 February 2017

After booking a suite, and arriving to find a hotel that has a cured pork smell (unexpected ambiance) we were politely told that we had been downgraded because they'd overbooked the rooms and had given our room away. After viewing the musty and damp room we raised the issue with management, and we quickly offfered an even worse room and a free breakfast.
Luckily we found another hotel who actually managed to fulfill their promises. We won't be back.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank SimonBr78
Management response:Responded 15 February 2017

Good Day Brinckmann Family

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our GUEST Satisfaction Survey. Your comments and reviews are of utmost importance to us as they help us improve our Hotel operations.

After taking time to investigate this matter, I found that our Reservations Manager had been communicating with you via email, in terms of the booking in question. The last correspondence is one of her indicating to you that you would be moved to a Queen room and a cot would be added for your son. Unfortunately their was no response to this email and we commenced with altering your reservation. For this error, kindly accept our apology.

We did all that we could in order to assure you a large and comfortable room as an alternative to the lounge suite. Our Hotel was overbooked due to GUESTS that were already in-house extending their stays. It was an overwhelming situation for us, that we could have handled in a better manner, and so again we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We did, however, provide you with a full refund in order to ensure that you had alternative accommodation.

You are a valuable GUEST to us and I hope that you will consider coming in our direction and staying at our Hotel the next time you are in the Hilton area.

Regards
Zama Nxele
Guest Liaison
Protea Hotels by Marriott Hilton
zamanguni.nxele@proteahotels.com

Reviewed 10 February 2017

Very friendly and efficient staff, clean, comfortable and nicely furnished rooms made it a very pleasant stay. Situated close to the N3 highway with ample parking. Will return when staying in the area again.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 11 February 2017

Good Day Derek937

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our GUEST Satisfaction Survey. Your comments and reviews are of utmost importance to us.

Wow! What a pleasure it is to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will definitely pass on this lovely review to the rest of our STAFF. Our aim is to always make sure that your stay is nothing short of magical.

Have an excellent day further.

Regards