All reviewsself cateringhluhluwe national parkmemorial gateperfect locationwatch the wildlifereal highlighthluhluwe game reserveclean roomsswimming poolthe reserverondavelhutsshowerkitchenetteimpalaaccommodationlodge
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

We have had the most magnificent weekend at Zululand tree lodge, from our arrival finding zebras in the parking lot, to the super friendly check in staff who offered us a refreshing cool towel and delicious beverage ... stunning room with viewing balcony. Just after we arrived he had about 5 giraffe about 5 meters from our cabin, when walking to dinner there were Nyala all antelope all along the path. The meals were all delicious and the staff were so incredibly friendly. We booked a morning game drive for the day after we arrived into Hluhluwe game reserve, we saw 4 of the big 5 including 3 lion ambushing a herd of buffalo. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone, I own a travel agency and will most certainly recommend this lodge to my clients. We will definitely be back

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angelameyer
01stephang, General Manager at Zululand Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Angela, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback! Hospitable is the work we use on a daily basis. I am very happy that you saw this in our great team. Our goal each day is to be friendly and very helpful with a smile! We are very fortunate to have the right team for this. Our goal is to always provide high level service. When you are happy, we are happy. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing! Staying at this lodge was beyond what I expected. My sister and I shared a room, however there was enough space for at least 3 more persons to sleep as there was a bunk bed in a smaller room. The room were self contained huts that are ideal for a week's stay. Overall the room was very comfortable and there was heat in the rooms (for winter and AC for summer). The one downside to this room is no wifi. Wifi was only available at the lobby.

On to the best part...you pull your curtains in the morning and there's wildlife. A giraffe on your evening stroll. Zebras strutting through the fields. Monkeys, ostriches, bunnies, wildebeests. This was an absolute treat to me, as my main attraction in South Africa was the wildlife.

This hotel also offers a safari within their compound but will not allow you to see the Big 5. They do offer trips to Ubizane game reserve where you can possibly see the Big 5 if you're lucky.

Definitely recommend this hotel ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback! When you are happy, we are happy. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

The location is great and the grounds are nice. The room is fine, it has everything you need however I found the sheets to be fairly dusty and stained. The blinds are essentially see through so everyone can see in your window in the day and at night. The shower we had was pretty bad, although we there was second option outdoors, it was just too cold to use it. The food at the tree lodge was good and the guide we had on our game drive was good. Sadly could not see many animals but these things happen. I would stay here again but having stayed in both the safari and tree lodge, I would choose the tree lodge. I would say it is quite overpriced considering it wasn't that clean.

Room Tip: Choose the tree lodge, not the safari lodge
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

roisin1212, thank you so much for telling us about your experience. I take all surveys very serious. Our goal is to always provide guest 100% satisfactory during their visit. Our team is not happy with just being OK. Please accept my apologies on the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to provide the best service at Ubizane Wildlife Reserve. I will most definitely follow up with my housekeeping manageress regarding the linen complaint you raised. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2017

We booked this accommodation because it is so close to the gate to enter the Hluhluwe park...

First of all: the staff is amazing! They were very helpful and were very welcoming on arrival. Always so nice to feel welcome after a long drive!

The rondavels (bungalows in local style) are spread out in a very dry garden, never the less it has been raining quite heavily the previous days.

The rondavel itself was a bit out of date and not completely clean to the expected standards. I didn't like the brown concrete floor and the out site shower has a lot of spiders webs. This kitchen looked old. The roomjust didn't feel cozy... (It felt beter with the lights on once it was dark.) But it was a very comfortable bed and we slept like babies! It was very nice to see the impalas and zebras walking around the rondavel.

Big and nice pool!! Pooltowels were provided.

One evening we took the buffet but the sky was filled with bugs and they were anywhere. Even in my plate. The tablecloth was dirty. The food a bit to expensive but there are hardly any alternatives in the area!

We payed 275 euro's for two nights without breakfast! Quite expensive for the quality we got but most accommodation in this area is pretty expensive!

But again: gray staff!!!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for telling us about your experience. I take all surveys very serious. Our goal is to always provide guest 100% satisfactory during your visit. Our team is not happy with just being OK. Please accept my apologies on the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to provide the best service at Ubizane Wildlife Reserve. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

Had the opportunity to stay at Zululand Safari lodge from the 19-23 December 2016. We were welcomed by energetic and friendly staff with cold litchi juice and a wet towel to cool us down during a typical hot summer day. Rooms were clean, air-conditioned with a great view, Braai area a short walk away. Really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return. Very close to Hluhluwe game Reserve, Fig Tree Cafe, Zulucroc, Emdoneni cat project and a 50min drive from St Lucia.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Keaton Joseph R, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback! Hospitable is the work we use on a daily basis. I am very happy that you saw this in our great team. Our goal each day is to be friendly and very helpful with a smile! We are very fortunate to have the right team for this. Our goal is to always provide high level service. When you are happy, we are happy. We look forward to seeing you again.