USD 84
USD 105
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 130/night.

USD 88
USD 73
  • Breakfast included
USD 66
USD 90
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 105/night.

USD 116
USD 136
USD 136
USD 129
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 December 2015

It was alright, for the money you pay. It was basic, but it was clean and spacious. There was no shower, only a bath. Breakfast was nice, and included within the room price. This hotel is okay to stay for a couple of nights if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2015

we had the pleasure of enjoying a great room with a great view on the 5th floor, of Durban's harbour.

It is a budget hotel, but the staff were exceptionally friendly and I loved the busters budget diner downstairs.

If you're looking for a budget stay in Durban CBD, this is great value.

Peter was also a great help!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
5  Thank Naureen K
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Overall, an average stay.

The hotel’s location is good because it is right by the water, and on the city’s bus route, and the hotel site and just outside it is safe. But due to inputting the hotel’s address incorrectly in the GPS when trying to initially find it, we got an unintended tour of the neighborhood. Because of that, I advise you to not go for a stroll at night. During the day is fine. This is in the center of the city, and this is still South Africa, so safety is really good considering that.

The hotel is older and has some peculiarities to it. The elevator was indeed a curious contraption; its door looks like my high school’s classroom door (think about the ones you might have seen in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off!). It’s not the typical left-side-right-side closing in the middle. The other oddity I noted was that the outside “wall” of the hotel is almost all glass panes and wood, rather than brick/concrete and set-in window panes. When the winds gusts, you can feel it in the room. This really made me hustle with getting dressed after my shower; I was freezing!

One thing I was disappointed with is with the climate control in the room. I know it is not typical to have heating in South Africa, but this room was equipped with a wall-mounted A/C, but it did not have a heat function. July is cold in South Africa; if there was heat from that wall-mounted A/C, that would probably be a huge plus and reason to choose this hotel over others in the area. As with all hotels stayed in during this July South African holiday, the blankets provided were more than adequate.

The hotel is a bit run-down. Everything works, but it’s the feel of the place feels uninspired and missing that certain je ne sais quoi with décor.
The staff was always helpful. They helped us out with electrical adapters and lent us a blow dryer. We also got some advice for visiting Durban.

The “Buster’s Diner” is the hotel restaurant. It serves good food, but the old mommas they have working there are so mopey, unenthused, and sluggish. There were no smiles or being made to feel welcome for us or anyone else, and communication to get our order straight was awkward and some of the food came out with missing side dishes, which we had to remind the waitress more than once to bring those side dishes out. As a waiter in my younger days, I realize people have a bad day occasionally. When I gave a few rand as a tip, they lit up and were smiley all the sudden. We ate there several more times (breakfast is free), and noticed that to get a smile or warmth from this staff, you have to tip first. Perhaps I was the first one to give tips in that place!

The price is a big plus if you are on a budget and a central location is a must.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank paulino636
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the location of this hotel makes it a great destination for the budget traveller who needs nothing more than a place to stay. it is within close proximity to many of the must see activities of durban.

the rooms are clean comfortable and well serviced with helpful staff.

having said that- it must be noted that the front of house manageress is a tad aggressive and sloppy who needs to learn the fine art of cusomer service, grooming and deportment and taking care of her personal hygiene.

the breakfast provided by the hotel is outsourced to a cafe attached to the hotel. Whilst every attempt is made to provide a more than adequate breakfast - the basics like filter coffee is not provided even though the ammnities are available and no attempt will be made to provide coffee even if you offerred to pay for it seperately.

i will definitley visit this hotel again - as the pricing and position is well worth it and the overall experience is good.

i have travelled extensively and this served my purpose to get up and go....

Room Tip: ask for a room higher than the 2nd floor and facing the harbour opening onto a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank ganhes
Reviewed 22 February 2014

when I needed a place to stay in Durban I remembered one of the names my father mentioned more than 20 years ago "Riviera hotel". I booked in on 17/07/2013 and checked out on 19/07/2013 and I had a pleasant stay. A very warm welcome from Joan and Bongani. Bongani was very helpful with directions for surrounding places and tips as I had a lot to do in Durban, Thank you Bongani :) Beauty's warm service at the restaurant was amazing, there is something about her that made me feel at home although I was away from home. The food at the restaurant is divine *thumbs up*. However the room floors could do with a little more attention (keep it clean guys), otherwise BiG up to the Riviera hotel staff, I had a lovely stay and I'm sure to pop by when I visit Durban again even if it's just for the food and to say Hi to Beauty :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo