“Long Lunch”

Toadbury Hall Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 35 Restaurants in Muldersdrift
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

What a great setting. Great menu and fantastic attention to detail. Lovely place to while away a long lazy afternoon under the trees. And a great place to to stay over if you have had a little too much.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Last year in July we visited Toadbury Hall, which was a disaster. We were contacted by 'Phillipe' who promised to cook us a meal - needless to say that never materialised.

We returned nearly a year later to give Bijou another try. The beautiful grounds are well cared for and the setting is lovely. That is where all, unfortunately, comes to an abrupt halt.

We asked if sparkling wine was available by the glass and were told that they only serve a glass if a bottle was open or some left in the bottle.. I then sent the waiter to enquire if there was indeed a bottle 'open'. Upon return he informed that there was not an open bottle and they could not open one for me. I found this odd - as what is this 'left' over in the bottle scenario - from a customer?

We then decided to order a bottle of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc - to our dismay the waiter returned to say it was not available. For a 5 Star establishment this is unacceptable. A very limited range of wine is available for this type of venue.

We ordered our starters. My husband the Carpaccio and I the Salmon Gravlax. My husband's carpaccio was fine, my salmon gravlax was inedible - top layer seemed like it had been rinsed with water and the bottom layer raw!
I asked to see management - Philippe - (as his name is still on the menu - as it is on the website) only to be informed he has left and is working in the Maldives. Someone else came from management to apologise and mentioned that the chef had indeed put raw salmon underneath the top layer.

It is quite evident that there are no controls in the kitchen. The table of four people right next to us experienced an issue with their food as well and said that they would not be returning.

Toadbury Hall needs to decide if they are a prepared to cater for the public at their restaurant or rather concentrate on the Wedding and Event business - as clearly they are not able to do both .

Toadbury Hall, as beautiful as the setting is, cannot under any circumstance call themselves a 5 star establishment - it is no where near!
We unfortunately will never return, for a meal and will not recommend it to anyone, which is a pity.

1  Thank DiscerningStylist
Reviewed 31 January 2018

Large portions of tasty, well-seasoned and well-presented food are served by friendly staff in a beautiful setting.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We visited toadbury for a picnic and what a delight!! Blanket, pillows, table, shade and a picnic basket to die for!!! Order drinks from the menu and we were setup for a whole afternoon of pleasure! Well certainly be back for more!!!

Reviewed 24 December 2017

Just a few minutes drive from Lanseria airport and you feel away from the city and settled in the country where you can hear the birds and breathe, away from the hustle and bustle.

There are a few options for dining. We chose the Bijou restaurant with a set 3 course menu. There are options for each course, however the menus on the internet are not updated to reflect latest offerings which is always a pity, if one arrives with a preconceived idea.
Overall we were happy with all the food. We both had the calamari starter. I chose the stuffed chicken main course which was tasty but the sauce was a bit too salty for my palate. My husband enjoyed the beef fillet steak also looked very appetizing. For dessert I had the tarte tatin while my husband had the cheese platter.

From around 2pm they had live music playing by the pool. There were more people having picnic baskets in the gardens and listening to the music than there were at the restaurant. My feeling is with the picnic about the same price as the sit down lunch I will choose the latter but it seems the picnics are more popular. There are many garden spots where they set these up and each group is far away from the next.

Would like to return which is always the best compliment you can give a venue.