See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2014

typically african lodge good service good hospitality and delicious foods amazing exotic juices if you stay in johannesburg its will be good choice of the preffer this lodge do not forget your personal securty keys or main door remote keys ;)

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed over on Fathers' day, just to get away from home (a whole 45 minutes' drive!) and experience something a bit different.
We were pleasantly surprised by how nicely the tents were equipped, although it was a bit to cold for me to partake of the "outdoor-indoor" shower! However, having your own bathroom s great, especially if it has a tree growing through it.
The added advantage (apart from hearing the lions roar at night) was that one could go for drives and cub interactions (included in the accommodation cost) before or after the mobs are there - and it DOES get busy during the day!
Of course the resident giraffe that visits the tents was an additional bonus, especially for Junior!
All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Tents 3 & 4 have trees in the bathroom, which is quite quaint.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lara_Bored
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My friend and I were in South Africa last February.
I already had been here in November 2008. The Reason was a documentary about the lion man, which had seen. I was so thrilled, so I had to take my friend over here.
In contrast to 2008, the tents have own bathrooms (with shower) now.
The tents are equipped with four beds, two in the fisrt rooom and another two in the back.
Behind the second room you find the bathroom.
You have a refrigerator and microwave, towels, soap, shower gel and shampoo.
Everything is clean.

You can sit on your terrace in the evening and you can watch the animals right in front of you.
It's fantastic.

You can ride through the terrain with your car and watch lions, cheetahs, hyenas and jackals. You'll see black wildebeest to giraffe, antelopes, leopard, black leopard, caracasl, wild dogs, spotted hyena and black-backed jackal. Then you'll find seven large herbivore species, bles-buck, water-buck, springbok, impala, zebra, gemsbok and black wildebeest - BEAUTIFUL.

You also can enjoy all the animals on a guided tour. That's interesting, because you'll get a whole lot of information about the various animals.

If you want to, you can cuddle lion cubs.

My favorite is Gambit, the giraffe (see the pictures I took). I alreday had fallen "in love" with him in November 2008. I was happy to find him healthy. By the way: You can watch his sister Purdy, but she's a little bit shy. Both of them (and the ostriches) like the pellets you can buy for less money.

You can get breakfast and a snack in the evening in the restaurant.

Resume: It's a must for animal lovers and don't forget your camera!!!
It's a special feeling to be in bed and hear the lions roar pretty next to you.

Room Tip: Animal lovers - BOOK IT!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Petra G
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The accomodation rate is very reasonable as it can be upgraded to go on a day/night game drive for just an additional R100 which gives you R150 savings per game drive. The tent we got for which we paid for double occupancy has 1 double bed and 3 single beds! The bed and pillows are comfortable. The tent has huge zipped windows which you can unzip to allow the cool breeze to get in. It is equipped with a small fridge (with freezer!), drinking glasses, cups, plates and utensils. The balcony has a picnic table and bench (camping chairs are also available inside) and a bbq grill for an authentic South African braai! It's perfect for groups and families. The bathroom has hot/cold shower. Towels and toiletries are provided too.

The tents face the game park so as you get out of the tent, you could see bucks and zebras.
The night is perfect with the cold Johannesburg climate and "wildlife sound"! The tent is inside the game park where we do game drives and so when I went outside I saw 2 zebras strolling behind our tent. It's amazing how the sound of lions filled the night!

The park has excellent curio shop with most of the African souvenirs you can think of. Right next to it is a restaurant that closes the kitchen at 5pm so beyond that time until 8 pm they will only serve pizza.

The game drive is great especially if you do not have time to visit Kruger Park. Since this is a small park, sightings are guaranteed... and since it's a lion park, there are plenty of them! It is nice to go during feeding time.. but I must say, they the cubs really look cute even when they are devouring bloody meat!

The highlight of my stay is the interaction with the "super cute" cubs. It was really amazing. We went in the afternoon to see them but with the numerous visitors, each person was only given 5 minutes to be with the cubs. Since we stayed for the night, we had the chance to spend more time with the cubs after most people have left. They are like giant puppies that love to lick and give playful bites! i felt so sad that I couldn't have one of them.. they are amazing!

Ooopss.. and by the way, there are giraffes roaming around.

This is an excellent overnight destination. One night per visit is enough as you will run out of things to do.. but I will definitely go again for another visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wandering_dive_geek
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The best time to come to the park is early morning. We came at about 8:30 on Wednesday (February), and there were just a few people, so we had lots of time to take pictures with the giraffe and lion cubs, not being disturbed and waiting in a queue. It's life time unforgettible experience to touch and pet lion cubs, I don't know any other place in the world where you can do it freely. The pictures are amazing! Then we made a self-drive and saw a lot of white lions and a cheetah. Also the curio shop is a good place to buy T-shirts with South African animals. We enjoyed the lion park a lot and hopefully will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple