“Must be the best place to stay as an elective med...”
other traveller has booked this property
view from patio
view from bottom of garden koi pond
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
view from patio
view from bottom of garden
koi pond
swimming pool at night
entrance to Swanage
Leopard loft
a double bed room
dining room tables seat 16
kitchen view from scullery
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Josh M
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Must be the best place to stay as an elective med student”
Reviewed 18 August 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Alan has created a perfect home away from home at Swanage. He welcomes you into his house gladly and is an excellent host. I stayed here while undertaking my elective at Baragwanath and found it to be perfect. Clean, comfortable and good facilities! Alan has plenty of local knowledge to help you make the most of your stay in South Africa. Wouldn't hesitate to return!

Your age range 18-24
23 Aug 2017
Mustafa F
“Best place, look no further”
Reviewed 23 June 2017 for a stay in April 2017

If your looking for a place to stay during your medical elective, look no further. Swanage is hands down the best place to stay during elective. It is like a home away from home. You will probably be staying with other people on elective at your same hospitals so they will be able to show you the ropes and you can car pool to work together and save costs. Swanage is in the sweet spot where you get that community family feel but also have the independence to do your own thing when you want. Alan is the best thing about the Swanage experience he welcomes you into his house and makes you feel right at home and part of the Swanage family. With his local knowledge and 10 years of hosting students he will be able to help you with everything you need to get sorted. The area is really safe and has a local spar 100m from the house, so you wont go hungry. Also Alan being a part time ranger means he has a vast knowledge of the natural world and regularly​ organises all inclusive safaris for the Swanage guests, and others can join also, it is a must do if your staying with Alan and its by far the best deal out there you will not regret it and you'll come away with loads of great photos and memories. Like a said at the beginning look no further and be sure to book early because he is popular and I wouldn't want you to miss out on the Swanage experience.

27 Jun 2017
Thank you Mustafa it was great having you stay.
c8u
London, United Kingdom
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 18 June 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Swanage is a great place that brings together elective students and Alan is amazing man - very warm and kind.
Sandringham is a really safe area and the neighbours are also extremely friendly - if you love dogs then all the better!

23 Jun 2017
Paras W
“Alan and Swanage: a second home for sure”
Reviewed 4 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

"Home away from home" is an expression that has been used by others before me but I feel like Swanage can not be better summarised. You have independence yet the security and care of a family. Dr Alan Peter goes over and beyond what may be expected from a landlord and treats us like his family. Once you live at this home Swanage, you permanently become one of the "swans" and are always welcomed with both arms home. The home is safe, secure and has all amenities including almost every appliance or backup supply you can think of. It has a lovely pool, garden. And of course Dr Alan Peter loves to entertain and ensure we have an enjoyable experience. He has an incredible personality, which make the Swanage dinners, the braai parties, and the personalised safaris awesome experiences. And he loves a good friendly banter with us! ;-) I feel like I may be repeating what's written on his website so check it out for more details. I did my elective at Bara for 5 weeks. Until I got my car, Alan gave me a lift whenever our timings overlapped. We prepared meals together and he organised a number of lunch/dinners to which all our friends (even those not living at Swanage) were invited. Alan has all the insider knowledge and readily and happily shares it whenever you need and ask. I had a really fun safari with Alan and our safari group from December 2016. Thanks all! Alan also allowed my brother to stay with us and helped my bro and I organise the best spots for our own Kruger safari. My room was my room during my time with Alan; even though it's his house, I felt like we all 'house shared' with Alan rather than 'rented' from him per se. I don't know what more to say really. Thank you Alan and the other students of Dec 2016 for being the best host family. Swanage was perfect place to unwind and feel safe after travel or shifts at the hospital. I hope others get in quick and take advantage of their stay at Swanage.

4 Jan 2017
Thank you Manshu as you journey back to New Zealand
Hari J
Greater London, United Kingdom
“More than just accommodation - it's an experience”
Reviewed 26 September 2016 for a stay in June 2016

I had an absolutely great time at Swanage. Along with my elective experience at Baragwanath and Bheki Mlangeni, the experience of living at Swanage with Alan and the other students will stay with me. Alan made me feel so welcome and importantly I felt extremely safe - something which was initially a concern for someone going to Johannesburg for the first time with some fairly unfounded preconceptions. Living at Swanage also meant that I was able to join in with Swanage activities like cooking dinner together, going to Alan's friends' house for dinner, going on safari and a whole host of other things. As mentioned all of these experiences will be treasured and I wholeheartedly recommend any elective student to stay here!

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
26 Sep 2016
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing