All reviewsquad bikingpolo fieldtables laidhuge groundssouth africagarden routeplunge poolbeautiful hotel setrose cottagebeautiful estatewonderful groundsattention to detailsmall tvcape townowners and staffbreakfast and dinnerwonderful place
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I visited twice for lunch - a lovely property with big porches and comfortable sofas overlooking the fields and horses grazing. The food is exquisite and the service excellent. Next time I must make a plan to use the spa / swimming pool and perhaps
stay over to experience their hospitality. At all times one gets the feeling of quiet relaxation. Due to the size of the place you will never be on top of any other diners / visitors. The gardens and flowers are magnificent. I hope to be back soon!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
DDHowell38, General Manager at Kurland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Good Morning Esther B

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of your experience with us at Kurland. We are delighted that you enjoyed our fare and service, and I will be sure to share these comments with our TEAM. It will be our pleasure to take care of you should you decide to come and stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Kurland in the not too distant future.

Until then,

Reviewed 23 February 2018

This is my first ever review and had to do it as this hotel was so good I am struggling to find another one I have stayed in as good and I have stayed in many 5 star hotels. .We turned up after long journey.We had checked in elsewhere and the staff at the other place were so bad that we checked out immediately.We arrived and were met at door by Diana with glass of champagne , then offered tea and fresh scones and cream and velvet cake on veranda overlooking the pool.We were also met by Diana's no 2, I am terrible with names so I must apologise but her assistant couldnt do enough for us she was amazing.The scones are made fresh as is all the cakes.Our room was like having a wing of your own in a stately home with its own plunge pool.All of the staff were so friendly and helpful.The Hotel has large grounds and large fields with horses who come up to be stroked.There are many acres of land and the whole place is very calm.When you turn up at the front door there is a gated entrance with security and you feel very safe and secure as you come throught the gardens to the hotel front.I asked Diana for afternoon tea in our room by the pool and as it was my wifes birthday I asked if a cake was possible.At 3pm all of the staff from the hotel turned up at our wing with silver service tea, scones, fresh sandwiches with home made bread and the best chocolate cake I have ever had.It had just been made and the chef/baker brought it in.The staff were all beaming and sang happy birthday to my wife.It was truly memorable .The dinner on an evening is superb with only 5 or 6 tables and very personal service.The staff team there are excellent.We had a 6 course dinner on valentines day.As we had booked in that day we didnt want to go anywhere else and so went with it.The food is excellent, on par easily with the Ivy or any of the london restaurants I have been to.The price was 35gbp per head, amazing value, you cant get such a meal at that price in the UK and indeed all of the meals were first class and decent priced .We ate there every night as we thought why go elsewhere when you have excellent service, excellent food and very reasonable price in a superb setting.If you are going to this part of South Africa this is the only hotel to stay at.It was a perfect find.ps we also met the owner Peter, a proper gent and good company

Room Tip: ask for Paddock 6
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
DDHowell38, General Manager at Kurland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Greetings from Kurland

What a wonderful review of your stay with us at Kurland - it was indeed a pleasure to have looked after the family and we are thrilled that you enjoyed our hospitality. You have written an interpretation of what we stand and strive for each and every day and your fabulous and positive comments and compliments will be shared with my TEAM who were delighted to be of service to you and your family.

Hoping to see you at the end of the year!

Kind regards, as always,

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We spent three days here last week and want to encourage the world to visit! Apart from the Datai in Malaysia, a very different setting, this gorgeous, old colonial, Dutch Cape estate is sensational.

There are only 12 suites. It is old fashioned but spacious and extremely elegant and comfortable. The welcome and staff service were friendly and kind and the food delicious.

The setting is spectacular, with acres of land and polo fields. A pavilion, lake, and easy access to the Plettenberg Bay Area.

Everything was just perfect with enormous attention to detail and no hint of pretentious management often found in luxury 5 star hotels.

Congratulations to the owners and staff for welcoming us so well. We had just checked in and out of our prebooked neighbouring lodge which was too awful at reception for us even to begin to review on TripAdviser.

The Kurland team rescued us and gave us an amazing and memorable three days.

Thanks you again and until the next time..

Jeremy and Rachel Taylor

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
DDHowell38, General Manager at Kurland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Good Afternoon Mr and Mrs Taylor

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this most welcome review of your stay with us at Kurland. It was such a pleasure to have you here, and as you say ... until the next time! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

GENERAL MANAGER - KURLAND

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed at a lot of nice hotels along the garden route but this place blew them all away. The Rooms were fantastic with warm fires and your own court yard and pond. Quad bikes to race around the estate and staff who give the most amazing service and will do anything for you. This place is 300 years old but caters for all ages with a great spa and pool for adults plus a kids pool, games room and tennis court. Don't miss this hotel on your vacation trust me

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 15mpw
Kurland, General Manager at Kurland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Kurland Greetings 15mpw

Thank you for taking the time to write this review after your stay at Kurland. It is always wonderful to hear that we took good care of you and made you happy. Your positive comments are received and accepted most graciously and will be shared with my TEAM.

Hope to welcome you back to Kurland one day.

Kind regards,
Diana Howell

Reviewed 2 November 2017

As we planned our 3 week tour of South Africa's Garden Route, we looked for somewhere special which would merit a 3 night stay and offer a luxurious break in the midst of extensive travelling. We found just the place in Kurland. General Manager Diana couldn't have been more attentive and helpful during the booking correspondence and she led the warmest of welcomes, along with Alana and the team on our arrival. Our "Rose Cottage" accommodation with attached "loft" was perfect for my wife, student son and me - space, luxury and attention to every detail - including the crackling log fire lit in our room by the "turn down" staff during our time at evening dinner. The long walks through the beautiful estate - looking up towards the Outeniqua Mountains - alongside the lake teeming with bird life and then around the manicured polo field and pavilion are a joy morning and evening. And all this to work up an appetite for the excellent food in the cosy, classy restaurant served by impeccably efficient, gracious and friendly staff who gave the clear impression they loved their work - recommendation enough for any establishment. Kurland is possibly the finest place we have stayed in many years of travelling - higly recommended !!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Banj01

What a delight to read that such an enjoyable stay was had by you and your family with us here at Kurland. It is always a great pleasure to welcome guests into 'our Kurland home' and to ensure that all needs are met.

I will most certainly share this review with my TEAM and we so look forward to welcoming you back as 'friends of Kurland' one day soon.

Thank you also for taking the time to write this review - it is appreciated.
Kind regards from us all,
Diana Howell