“Delicious!”

Price range: USD 5 - USD 13
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Independent, family-run Bistro established in 1985, since 2013 trading from the sunny terrace of the Bayview Hotel, situated in the center of the village. The restaurant has panoramic views of the ocean, mountains & town. Our cooking is country-style, using fresh local South African ingredients wherever possible, featuring sustainable seafood & selected choice grades of beef & venison. Poultry includes chicken & duck dishes such as duck confit . Our loyal clientele now feature 3rd generations of families who have enjoyed The Med's family-style ambience & offerings for many years.
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

The menu online seemed to be very nice so we decided to have diner at this bistro.
There were not many people inside, probably because it's a little bit hide away.
Though the food was very good and we really enjoyed it.
You just have to try this place, you won't regret!
We took the calamares with chorizo and the basil chicken curry! Yummie!

1  Thank WesGee

Reviewed 5 July 2018

The restaurant seemed good from the street, but once inside, very empty.
The service was average but the food, once it arrived, was ok.
They don't seem to know how to make a Classic Martini, but we powered through and enjoyed the meal.
Upon close inspection, the restaurant is tacky, with photostatted menus and dirty table cloths - not a good first impression.

2  Thank Minx A
local-happy, Owner at The Med Seafood Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hi Minx,
Thanks for your visit & for taking the time to do a review - but what happened between leaving the restaurant & you penning the review ?
You mentioned to your waittress that everything was lovely & that you will bring your family around, as they have never been to The Med -then everything went lukewarm & belly-up :
The closure of the town's main thoroughfare has had a severely detrimental effect on businesses north & south of the cut off area, and even more so at night. Maybe you have not noticed ? The "dirty" oilcloth table covers are marked by affected by unexpected downpours as they are only used outside. Our winter menu is a shortened, seasonal version of our regular menu to enable us to offer winter specials off the menu - therefore the photo stat version. And Classic Dry Martinis we've been making for the past 30+ years - I supervised the mixing of yours , Bombay Sapphire gin being used (The olives we had was very soft & I did not want to use it, so I garnished with lemon which is regarded as acceptable).
I hope this addressed your concerns & that we could welcome you back closer to summer?

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We arrived, having booked a table, to an nearly empty restaurant, with 2 tables occupied.

Staff seemed efficient and helpful, but after ordering we realised that did not apply to the underworked kitchen and our food took ages to arrive. Food was OK, nothing more and that meant it was overpriced for what we got.

Plett is a busy holiday town at this time of year, with crowded restaurants. This one was certainly not busy and I can see why.

2  Thank grahamee
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a tasty seafood linguine and a Gorgonzola and pear salad followed by creme brûlée and an ice cream with Amarula liqueur. Great two course dinner for two with drinks for 350R. Our waitress was friendly and made us feel welcome. It's a bit quieter than other places on Main St and feels like a hidden gem!

local-happy, Owner at The Med Seafood Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

SO happy that you enjoyed & felt welcome at The Med, Adam!

regards
Marianne

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

A memorable night of poor food & shocking service. We’ve been here many times, over many years - dating well back to their old premises across the road. But never again. Our elderly waitress was ratty & rude. Got the orders wrong, refused to acknowledge it, and asked my father-in-law if he was going to be “the moaner” after he asked where the avo was in his avo & prawn salad (which had no visible hint of the former).

My seafood soup arrived in disguise as a vegetable soup and when I asked why it wasn’t seafood, she snapped, “don’t you remember I said puréed vegetables?” - which naturally I couldn’t recall, seeing as we never had the conversation - and my wife & her sister couldn’t eat their fish as it was mushy & smelled of ammonia - only to be told by the owner that the chef says it’s perfect for that kind of fish...

My recommendation in one word: Avoid

4  Thank Abraham312659

Hi Mr Lapiner - my idea for matching our usually patient "Aunty Acid" with your side of the table and the younger waittress with the younger brigade at the other end of the table obviously did not work. I think she just wanted to lighten the mood at the table but in this case her particular brand of humour was unappreciated ?. The second complaint: around the 3rd January we sell so much fresh line-fish by itself & in combination with other dishes that we do not have fish lying overnight in the cold room. Your complaint thus surprised me & on investigation in the kitchen we seriously could not detect any problem. Why it was only those 2 gurnard fillets that caused a problem - no idea: we had no other incidents that night. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologise and do hope that you will pop in again on a next visit to Plett to make up for the mishaps on this evening. We shall keep "Manuela" away