“Not worth the money”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I were in the Phoenix area for some spring training games, and I always like Marriott properties. This, however, was not worth what it cost. The best part was the fitness center, which was a step above and larger than the average hotel FC. Complaints are that they charge $10 per night to park in their garage when you look out your window and see vacant lots everywhere! Also, our room overlooked the courtyard, and they leave music on in the courtyard all night. Even with no window or door open, when we woke up in the night, it was annoying to hear that music going. Got a drink at the pool bar and the lady couldn't get the cash register to work right. Being next to Westgate was kind of nice, since there aren't many other places to eat in the area, but it wasn't worth it. We moved across the street to the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nhplanner

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I previously stayed at the Renaissance Hotel around the corner. This is their newest place built next door to the Jobing.com Arena (Coyotes NHL Arena). I made the mistake of booking my room online not realizing this was one of two possible Renaissance Hotels in the vicinity. I was not greeted with a smile and the desk clerk did not explain to me that the adjacent parking garage is NOT included in the $ 210+ per night charge. These are the only parking spaces I saw available unless you park in the valet drive right in front of the entry way. Don't drink the bottle of water in your room unless you want to fork over another $4. My toilet wasn't working properly and the water / toilet ran for the first two hours I was there until I shut off the water supply valve. No breakfast is included either - that'll run you around $10 for anything I'd consider a meal. Better run to the gas station down the street or just plan on checking out and then going for breakfast somewhere else. The noise from the people leaving the hockey game was bad for about an hour - around 9:30 pm or so. Then I had to listen to all the people coming back from the game for another hour - slamming doors, elevators "dinging", and people talking loudly in the hall. DO NOT accept a room near the elevators - so anything like room 601, 701, etc. Too much hall traffic noise. I don't know how they set up the plumbing but every time the person in the next room ran their water I had to listen to it - I even got up the first time because I thought my bathroom had sprung a leak. I will say - the place looks really nice but it's not worth the money. I'll gladly stay somewhere else next time. Oh, parking costs $10 per night... just so you know. The nicest person there was the door man who was very friendly and had a smile on his face the whole time. Something I didn't get from any of the other staff. Interestingly enough, I didn't get smiles from any of the other guests either. I think this place is mainly for business suits who want to look impressive. Dress up - maybe you'll get a friendlier greeting?

Room Tip: Do NOT allow them to put you in a room near the elevators. The elevators have electronic greetings...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank JuliaWarhol
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I had the privilege of staying at the Renaissance Glendale in July, 2011. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and accommodating. Clearly, the Renaissance staff subscribed to the philosophy that the customer is right and treated us that way. When one of the people in the group wanted an Irish Coffee, the barman went out of his way to get whipped cream. In spite of the blazing sun door men were waiting to open the door, and escort me around the nearby Westgate Mall in a golf cart. I hope to have occasion to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I just recently completed a 2 night stay here while in town on business with my main focus on being close to the arena next door for the NHL game.

I checked in a bit early, at 1230p since my flight was on time and had other minimal travel delays, the courteous front desk staff let me check in and said it was not an issue at all. While you are checking in grab a handful of complimentary caramels.

This property has a very big and expansive lobby, as well as any thing else you would see at a resort, lots of wide open spaces here, never felt cramped at all.

Every thing in my room was in order. Lots of electrical outlets, a patio, tv changed channels quickly, big closet with double doors that opened up wide, and the room was super quiet.

Everything you expect at a high end Marriott hotel, and its close to the Westgate area with multiple choices of bars and restaurants.

Breakfast at the on site restaurant was priced reasonable I thought so I ate there one morning, it was very tasty

If you stay here, refill your water bottles in the exercise room where there have bottled water dispenser, ask the "navigator" for advice on taxis, car services and local attractions..And listen for the music playing in the background of the lobby.. oh yeah, one other thing, buy a cup of regular coffee at the coffee stand and get free refills all day..And free internet in the lobby areas...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My son and I stayed here for the 2012 Fiesta Bowl. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. Good flatscreen TV. The pool and jacuzzi were a plus. The bar in the lobby was a fun place to hang out and watch the other games (on a huge TV screen). Walking distance to stadium and also to plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars. We will definitely stay here again if going to a sporting event at the U of Phoenix stadium.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family