“Best dim sum in Arizona”
Review of Phoenix Palace

Phoenix Palace
Ranked #179 of 708 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Featuring Dim Sum, BBQ and Seafood
Description: Featuring Dim Sum, BBQ and Seafood
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Revisited on a Sunday and was really impressed. Arrived late at 2 PM (no dim sum after 3) and was not expecting much selection and assumed the dim sum carts would be full of picked over leftovers given the time. To my surprise, there was a full selection of tasty freshly made dim sum including all my favorites. Ive had dim sum in LA, San Francisco, and Hawaii and I dont think this dim sum needs to apologize to any of them.

For newbies, dim sum are the small plates of the Chinese culinary world and include steamed, fried and baked savory and sweet goodies such as sticky rice, dumplings, bow, cakes, and noodle dishes containing meats, seafood, veggies and other goodies. Dont come here expecting to order regular Chinese entrees although you can and they are excellent. You're here for the dim sum and youre sure to find things you like because the variety is so broad.

The carts come out from the kitchen and go round and round the tables, and diners just ask the server what items are there, and select what you want. You pay by the dish which usually 2-3 items unless they are bulk or noodle items and there are several price points for the different dim sum and your bill is calculated by tallying the number of each type of dish you get.

My favorites include steamed sticky rice with Chinese sausage wrapped in a leaf, pork ribs steamed with garlic and jalapeno, bow (steamed or baked dough with meat inside), gai lan (Chinese broccoli), steamed shiu mai dumplings), shrimp chow fun rice noodles, grilled turnip (actually daikon) cakes with pork, baked curry beef dumpling, and on and on. The adventurous can order things like juk (rice gruel), steamed chicken feet or beef tripe. Save room for sweet desserts such as sesame balls and sweet bean cakes, sweet custards and fruit tarts.

Cart ladies are great and try to explain each item although their English is sometimes limited. But you know you're getting authentic, right?

You can easily eat on $10-$15 per person if sticking to water or tea for refreshment and still take home leftovers. Drink lots of hot tea to buffer your stomach because some of the steamed items can get a little greasy. Enjoy!

Reviewed 18 July 2017

My friend and I have dim sum here each month, and the variety of delicacies is the stuff of food fantasies. I may not be a connoisseur of dim sum, but I am from San Francisco and Chinese food is kind of in my blood. To me, these dishes are delicious, fresh, chewy, juicy, crunchy, etc., etc. The ladies know us and tend to our needs, and any language barrier was overcome a long time ago. I have a couple of food allergies, and have never been steered wrong. If you get there early, say 11 a.m. on a weekday, you can get one of the big comfortable booths. We will be back again and again for more feasting on dim sum at the Phoenix Palace.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

First time at Phoenix Palace. I arrived for lunch at 11:30 on a Wednesday and there were six tables full. Before I even sat down, I was asked by the Dim Sum cart lady if I wanted some. Having never been here, I declined so I could see the menu.

After five minutes, I'm glad for my decision. The lady offered neighboring tables the same. Her English was so bad that they were utterly confused about what they ordered.

I ordered Kung Pao Chicken and an iced tea for $12.50.

I added beef chow mein from another cart lady.

The flavors of the chow mein were very good, with minimal oil but even less beef. In fact, there was no meat.

The Kung Pao Chicken, which is a spicy dish, had zero spice aside from the dried peppers that were added at the end.

My lunch came with a vegetable roll and steamed Gyoza, which were nice touches. The TV was playing judge Judy, which, I guess is what they like here. At least they had a tv!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

This was a long drive from Cave Creek, but we wanted dim sum! Arrived mid-afternoon Sunday and there were HOARDS milling around outside restaurant. That was bad. Good news was mostly Asian, so we felt that indicated some good eats and worth the wait. But there was very little wait. They have a great system---despite the numbers, we were seated within 10 minutes.

The dim sum carts came around at the perfect intervals and we hardly passed up a one, so I can't even tell you what-all we had, except it was uniformly hot and good. The dim sum ladies didn't have a lot of English, but mostly they could explain what the dish(es) were on their carts, and if not---what the heck, right?

It was just so much fun, and we ate and ate and ate and still ended up with a super-reasonable bill. We will totally plan another road trip to Chandler and Phoenix Palace---and it's the perfect opportunity to stop in at Lee-Lee's International Market to pick up some exotic stuff for the pantry!

Reviewed 25 February 2017

When in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area the Phoenix Palace is a good choice for Dim Sum with friends or family. Get there early or expect to wait in line. They carry the usual dim sum fare and have a variety of cards as well as ordering of the menu. There is a bonus a international grocery store and bakery in the same mall. Well worth a visit.