Review Highlights
Great experience

We did the full day Passage Canal kayak and it was definitely a highlight of our trip. Wayne is so... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
LizMarshall97
Plymouth, Michigan
Fantastic group to book with!

We did the Blackstone Glacier kayak and the local rookery tour. The people were very friendly and... read more

Reviewed 1 August 2021
travelynntoo

All reviews salmon bald eagles hour tour skirt guide alaska sound
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Alaska Sea Kayakers were extremely helpful from booking until the return from the kayak trip. Pete handled a severe and rare allergy so well and accommodated our family without hesitation to make this trip possible for us. Kevin took a small group of five out on Blackstone Bay for an 8 hour kayak trip that was unforgettable. His knowledge and patience was impeccable. He took time with the guests, trained us on safety and general kayaking and served up a wonderful lunch on the rocky beach. We hugged the shoreline, kayaked near a waterfall, past several glaciers, and even had time for a short hike up to the toe of a glacier before our charter boat picked us up. The company provided us with dry bags, zip locks for our phones, rain suits, and rubber boots. The only thing we needed was an extra layer. Unforgettable experience!

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank jbborks
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We went with rain gear and extra clothing in waterproof bags, basically everything we thought we might need and they suggested. But they had rain jackets, rain pants, rubber boots, and waterproof bags for everything. So, we didn't need a lot of our gear. They gave us excellent instruction on what to expect kayaking and what to do if we accidentally tipped over. (As I understand it, the demographic that has a problem keeping kayaks upright are usually teenage brothers.) Anyway, we started from Whittier, went down the right side of the bay, across, and up the other side by the kittiwake rookery. I counted 8 bald eagles, a sea otter, a harbor seal, black oystercatchers, jumping minnows, more kittiwakes than I could count, and probably forgot a few more things. We stopped on a rocky beach and had a fabulous lunch provided by our guide. (That's where we had the oystercatchers entertaining us with their mating dance and cries.) I'm glad I was quick enough to pull up the hood of my (their) rain jacket when we got by the rookery because I got "blessed" on my arm. We had an awesome afternoon and great pictures of birds and water falls. I recommend these guys to anybody looking for some outdoor adventure in Whittier.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank Vger1701
Reviewed 1 July 2017

My friend and I did the Kittiwake Day Tour, which left right from the harbor and led us around the area. Booking was very easy; we did it on the day of. The guides were super nice and helpful; they gave us the option of longer kayak or stopping for a quick hike to a waterfall, which was fun; we chose the latter. It was a few hours of kayaking, which was enough for us (we're in good shape, but hours of kayaking still tires you out! even in a double kayak). Whittier is a pretty strange, unique place, and we were glade that we made the trip and had the experience of getting to Whittier in addition to the fun we had kayaking.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed 6 June 2017

We did the half day tour out of the Whittier Harbor which was about 2 hours to the beach for lunch and 1.5 hours back. Our guides were very helpful and made the trip enjoyable. We were lucky to have a very nice day on the water. I thought the tour would have had a little more activity in terms of a short hike and moving more quickly on the water but it just depends on the group you are with. The lunch was one of the best parts! We were taking to a glacier beach with with amazing views and the tour guides made the perfect lunch of snacks and fresh cooked salmon. Great tour if you are in the area.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank christiney704
Reviewed 30 August 2016

We, family of 5, did not have a reservation. We had gone into Whittier hoping to do a boat tour of the glaciers, only to find the boat was out of operation for the day. We walked into Alaska Sea Kayakers, and they squeezed us into their next outing. Super nice people, great equipment, and knowledge of the area and nature. We had no set time-limit or speed ... just enjoyed the beautiful day. We saw eagles, salmon, and a humpback whale in the distance. Thank you Suzanne and Pete.

Date of experience: August 2016