2,977 results
All reviews turtle sanctuary glass floor te ava jean marie overwater bungalow fish our honeymoon main island large glass the miki miki bar beach hut the activities desk sea turtles pool bar st regis other resorts french polynesia
Reviewed 20 August 2009

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! This place is amazing. We stayed for 3 nights in an overwater bungalow all inclusive and had a fantastic time, this place is heaven on earth. The bungalows are awesome and BIG, loved the fact that you could jump straight into the water from the deck. The resort itself was fantastic. The bar, the restaurant, the pool - unreal. The food was excellent, the staff fantastic and the place better than could of been expected.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karen_brad
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights. Had booked a Lagoon View room but was upgraded for free upon arrival to an overwater bungalow (OWB) that was more than half way out on the pontoon with great lagoon views and slight views of Bora Bora's main mountain. Since this resort was the first on this part of the lagoon, the views here are the best and most unique of any of the high end resorts. They are just finishing up some renovations to some of the common areas and are adding a fitness center.

The rooms themselves are really amazing with lots of interesting decorative touches and are spacious enough. They have a pretty sizable beach b/w the 2 OWB pontoons and I cant rave enough about the view from this beach. The inner lagoon is also nice and swimming with the turtles is a pretty sweet perk to staying here. The inner lagoon is the place to snorkel as the main beach and by the OWB's, the water is clear but lacks any serious concentration of fish.

Service was good and when their waffle machine broke and our room service breakfast was late, they gave it to us for free without any complaining or hassling on our part. The main restaurant was very good. Otherwise, everything service wise was quick and easy and we even got a late checkout. They offer regular service to the mainland and can arrange pick up for free to lots of main island eateries. We got a couple's sunset massage which was nicely done. I would recommend skipping the sunset premium as you cant really see the sunset during the massage so what's the point. Just get a massage at any time during the day. The massage oil was vanilla scented from Tahaa and it was very pleasing. Only complaint echoes a prior poor review....the massage chairs weren't the most comfortable for your face and could have been better.

Overall, this was an amazing place to stay, especially for the rate we paid (~1/2 list price). If I had paid $800-1000, there may have been a few minor details that would have bothered me more...you can tell the resort is a little older....railings are a little rickety/loose, our toilet was broken at first (quickly fixed though), and the general state of the pontoons just looks older. The dulling of these edges is minor in my opinion and I thought the place was wonderful....if you are the type of person who goes looking for the little things that arent perfect and are used to 5 star luxury all the time, this might not be the place for you....but otherwise, I would stay here again in a hearbeat....plus....most of these "dull edges" are on the outside of the bungalows b/c inside, the rooms still look amazing and the glass floor here is incredibly huge.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RivAndRock
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We came to Le Meridian after a week at Sofitel in Moorea. This resort was more expensive but superior to the Sofitel. We had two lagoon bungalows for 3 nights for our family of 5. We needed only to step out our door to an almost private beach and a hammock and lounge chairs. The closets even had life preservers and cushions for the lounge chairs ready and waiting. Our view looked out across the interior lagoon which was full of turtles and colorful fish to the mountain on the main island. I felt this location was much more private than the overwater bungalows. There was some construction to the left of us on the lagoon, and a new pool is being completed on the island side. Of course, we would have preferred not to have this going on during our stay, but the workers were respectful and were not too noisy during our 3 nights there. We ate at the breakfast buffet for breakfast and the a la carte restaurant for dinner. The dinners were superb in all ways--decor, service and quality and presentation of food. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels, and the dinners here were worthy of 5 stars for sure!!!! What is nice here is that the kayaks and small sailboats do not cost extra, and even a 20 minute sail on Tahitian boat across the lagoon guided by an experienced sailor does not cost any extra. The rooms were very nice with a daybed set into a well-lit alcove. The double sink bathroom had nice touches like coral mounted on the wall with designer lighting and driftwood mirrors. We enjoyed the 10:30 feeding of the turtles in the preserve and the knowledge of the conservators. I would come back here in a heartbeat. The people here were much more friendly than those we met on Moorea. I don't know why, but that was our experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank fieldmom
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Bora Bora is an amazing destination and I think my expectation level for Le Meridien Bora Bora was very high as it is a Category 7 hotel in the Starwood family. This is the highest level property and I expected a five star resort at the level of a St Regis. Unfortunately, Le Meridien Bora Bora is old and tired, when I was there in May 2009, it was literally a construction zone. They are adding another pool on the beach, next to the existing one and enlarging all the lagoon beach bungalows. Construction fencing everywhere, noise wasn't really an issue, just the unsightliness.

I booked my 5 night stay on Starwood points, 40,000 points per night, with fifth night free for beach bungalow. The points per night may have gone up since I booked. As a Starwood platinum member, I emailed the resort in advance to request an upgrade to over the water bungalow and they were gracious to email me back with this confirmation of upgrade. I can send you the email address, if you send me a message.

They also arranged the airport transfer via email, which was excellent. Once you walk into the Bora Bora airport, all the major resorts have a stand where you are given a lei greeting, they help you with your luggage and whisk you away by boat to your hotel. Everyone is very welcoming and helpful. They have bottled water for you on the boat and it is a gorgeous scenic ride.The cost for the transfer is 5,000 xpf round trip per person.

Once you arrive at the hotel dock, you are taken by golf cart to a comfortable lounge with cold drink and you do your check-in. Again, everyone is welcoming and friendly. You are given your room assignment, short tour of the resort and then whisk to your room. If your room is not ready they have a transit room, so you can change into your swimsuit. The over the water bungalows are in two separate sections, rooms 201-245, rooms 301-340 and the lagoon bungalows rooms 402-415. I have the map of the property, if you send me your email, I can send you a copy.

The rooms facing Mt. Otemanu have the best view. Although my bungalow 337 was not considered a premium , it looked directly onto Mt. Otemanu and the bungalow next door was considered premium. The Le Meridien Bora Bora is like most of the resorts and is located on a motu and not the main island of Bora Bora, where Mt. Otemanu is. The motu form a circle around the island and the water in between is a lagoon, where the over the water bungalows are.

The St Regis and Intercontinental Thasso are on each side of the Le Meridien, and it has it's own separate lagoon within the resort. You can walk to the backside of the resort to see the ocean and I am told you could walk to the other resorts, although I was not that adventurous. ( wild dogs!) I was at the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort before coming to Bora Bora and the Hilton is sheer perfection! Everything at Le Meridien was inferior to Hilton and I felt like hopping on the next plane and going back to Moorea. I would say that Bora Bora at another resort would have been wonderful.

The bungalow is smaller than Hilton and the worst part about it is the deck, it offered no sun protection and was really too hot to sit out on. The deck chair was even worst, as I am all of 99 lbs and I felt cramp and uncomfortable in this chair. The water under the bungalow isnt shallow and calm like Hilton, so you have to go snorkel at the lagoon to see fish, which isnt near the bungalow. The beach chairs are no better, but at least there is shade. You are either sitting straight upright or reclining so far back you get neck strain with trying to read. Isn't the whole point of the trip to be able to lounge around, relax comfortably and enjoy the view from your private deck?

The pool is located at the restaurant, so there is alot of activity and not the most restful, relaxing place, but they had umbrellas and nice comfortable chairs. The noise from the kitchen equipment was really annoying and you have to sit at the farthest chair to not be bothered. The view from the pool of Mt. Otemanu is great. I brought the aquasox, but never used them. When I was in the water, I had the snorkel flippers on, so didn't need them.

The room had flat panel TV across from the bed (over the day bed.) The traditional TV and DVD player was on a wheel cart. I was able to watch my Netflix on the DVD player. On Demand movies available for 10,000 xpf and DVD library for free at the concierge.

Walk in closet, separate shower, tub and toilet, dual sinks, robe and slippers, safe, refrigerator, fan and air conditioning ( didn't work as well as the Hilton). Large glass floor, but there was nothing to see under, like there was at Hilton. You can request an electrical adaptor and give a refundable deposit for the use. I like to read in bed and the lighting is terrible, another annoyance. One thing I did like was the electric hot water pot in the room, which is like the ones in Asia hotels, and I like the Hermes toiletries ( at first I though someone left these behind, cuz they also have the standard Le Meridien toiletries).

Welcome gift of champagne and t-shirt is nice and the guests receive resort credit during the renovation. Stay of 1-5 nights receive 10,000 xpf. I used my credit for cold buffet breakfast at Le Tipanie, which is only open until 10 am, so I was there as they were closing and cleaning up. I also ordered room service full breakfast on my last day, which was a treat ( I would not have done this, except I had the credit left) and had a good pizza at Te Ava ( beach/poolside restaurant) for 18,000 xpf. There is also Le Miki Miki bar, which is nice for watching the sunset. The Le Tipanie restaurant is on the lagoon and has theme dinner buffet every night or a la carte, also Polynesian Show on Tuesday and Friday.

There were no mosquitoes at Moorea, but were at Bora Bora. Bring your repellent and the cream for the itch after the bite. There is a free shuttle to the island base on Bora Bora every hour. From here, you have pick up for restaurants, car rental, bike rental, taxi. There is a store here, where I picked up fresh baguette (yummy) ham, cheese, soda, water, snack, chips, etc. There is a school right next to the base, and it was so cute seeing the kids singing in the open air gym. The main town of Vaitape is on the other side of the island. The boat shuttle ride is only 5 minutes and I did the boat ride a few times, just to be out on the water and it's a nice comfortable boat. The hotel staff use it to get home, for the one's that don't live on the hotel property.

There is not alot in Vaitape, unless you want to buy pearls. My friend recommended Robert Wan pearl shop. The hotel concierge can call them and they will send a private boat to pick you up and they have a private dock at their store in Vaitape. Robert Wan is flexible with their pricing and has the highest quality pearls in Tahitian islands.

I was recommended to go to Restaurant Aloe in Vaitape for casual, informal, well priced, local restaurant. It was good, I had the tuna tartare and delicious black forest cake!
The Tania Collins pearl store has beautiful pieces, but it seems expensive. They will pick you up at the island base, if you have the hotel concierge arrange it.

The free activities at the resort include, snorkel, windsurf, pedal boat, ping pong, volleyball, canoe, kayak and sailing outrriger. Other activities for fee include, shark feeding tour, scuba diving, jet ski, hobbie cat, private picnic, 4 WD safari, Lagoonarium, water ski, parasailing, circle island tour, deep sea fishing, helicopter. There is an activities desk and hut at the beach. Kids playground in the shade is also onsite.

In the TV room, there is a free computer for internet. This is very popular. I think there is also internet available in the room ( for a fee?) In addition, there is a small Gift Store for postcards, t-shirts, drinks. And there is a Spa in a converted bungalow. I know they have plans to convert the wedding chapel into a Fitness Center. There is also an pearl shop next to the Activities Desk.

The best part about Le Meridien Bora Bora is they sponsor the Turtle Sanctuary. Every day at 10:30 am, Sebastian and Christopher feed the turtles, fish and moray eel, then give a wonderful lecture about the turtles and the work they are doing to save them. It is also available to non-guests for a fee.

Although Bora Bora is an ideal tropical getaway, I would recommend that you stay at another resort for an over the top experience. There were some issues with the check out bill, nothing major that couldn't be fixed. The Le Meridien has a long ways to go before it is a five star resort ( needs alot of renovation) and since I was there on points, I am not sure how the rates compare to other hotels. Please enjoy my Picasa Web album, click on http://picasaweb.google.com/SusieJue/BoraBora#

I really appreciated the upgrade to over the water bungalow, the resort credit and the late check out of 4 pm, because my flight was at 6 pm. The staff is friendly and welcoming. There are good things to say about this resort, just not enough for me to recommend it.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
8  Thank SusieJue
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Can’t understand how other hotels in Bora Bora have been ranked above Le Meridien on trip advisor. This hotel and our week long stay here was genuinely amazing! From our warm welcome and easy check in to the friendliest staff(especially Alain) who went out of their way to help us. On some reviews, it was mentioned how the bedrooms here were outdated but either they got it completely wrong or the rooms have recently been refurbished. We stayed in a premium OWB, where we were lucky to have seen a Shark, a Ray and an Octopus beneath our glass floor. The breakfast was out of this world but what really set this resort apart was the Turtle Sanctuary. Every morning at turtle feeding time they gave an hour and half teaching session on the life of the endangered turtle. Having snorkelled a lot on our 3 month honeymoon, the snorkelling here in Le Meridien’s own private Lagoon was simply unbeatable! Mask, snorkel, flippers and even kanoes, sail boats, etc were all available free of charge (a great extra) The Shark and Ray feeding tour organised here was also incredible. Probably best value for money on this very expensive island. The characters running the tour were comedians, musicians and fantastic fun and the things we saw were out of this world. On this 3 month honeymoon we’ve stayed in some pretty amazing hotels but this is the only hotel that has ever given us that “WOW” factor! We’re planning our return already for our 10 year anniversary

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple