2,947 results
All reviews turtle sanctuary glass floor te ava jean marie overwater bungalow fish our honeymoon main island large glass the miki miki bar beach hut the activities desk sea turtles pool bar st regis other resorts french polynesia
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Staff seemed annoyed to help you, activities desk was not well informed, value at hotel is horrible, food is much better on island, buy as much as you can at the market and bring it back! The beauty of Bora Bora

3  Thank MKW142
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora for 10 nights in November 2011 on our honeymoon. Overall the resort was beautiful and the location was particularly good. We stayed in a premium overwater bungalow (rm 333), which had an unobstructed view of the main island. The bungalows are modern and clean. The bed is comfortable enough, although a bit on the firm side. There is a large section of glass floor, although we never saw any fish under our bungalow. We only saw fish under the bungalows closer to shore. We enjoyed spending time on our own large deck and swimming directly off our bungalow. It was deep enough to jump in from where we were. Maybe 8ft deep or so.

Overall, the facilities were great. There are two infinity pools, one with a bar, and one near the restaurant where you could order lunch. The pools were great and we had no problems getting a lounge chair and an umbrella. The beach was nice as well, and the beach house was well equipped with free snorkel gear, kayaks, jet skis, wind surfing, etc. Our one complaint was that they were often out of towels, which was surprising given the fact that it is a pretty small resort.

We brought our gym clothes with us with the hope of getting in some exercise while on our lengthy stay. When we arrived at the fitness centre, we were very disappointed. There was one pathetic-looking treadmill, which was unusable. The belt would run, but every time you stepped on it, the belt would slide and stop. There were two stationary bikes, and neither of them worked either. So we pretty much gave up on working out. There is nowhere to run outside either. You would have to go to the main island, I guess.

On to the food. Our one major complaint. We ate 4 meals at the resort in total (other than lunch by the pool). We had one breakfast buffet (which was average and pretty pricey - $50 each). After that, we decided to go into Vaitape to get some boxes of cereal and milk and we just had that in the morning. We did have one other breakfast, when we ordered room service. We had very salty omelets. We had one dinner there on our second night, which was a-la-carte. We had high hopes and ordered foie gras, seafood pasta, and scallops. The food was mediocre and not cheap either. The next night we decided to try the buffet dinner, which was Asian themed. It was $100 each plus wine, and was absolutely disgusting. We had better food in Cuba in April. Pretty awful sushi and even worse chinese dim sum. We also waited 30 minutes and had to ask 3 times for water! After that, we decided not to eat on the resort any more (other than lunches at Te Ava and the Miki Miki bar by the pool - which were ok, but nothing great either). The next day we went to the activities desk, and booked dinners at La Villa Mahana (better to book this in advance), Fare Manuia, La Bounty, Kaina Hut, Bloody Mary's, and La Suite. All of these restaurants were MUCH better than the food on the resort, and with the exception of La Villa Mahana, were either the same price, or cheaper. The standout restaurant to us was Kaina Hut. The food was terrific and the price was not bad.

The staff were very friendly overall, especially at check-in. We did have a little half bottle of Feuillate champagne waiting for us when we arrived at the resort, which was nice. But on the third or fourth night, we randomly received a bottle of Veuve Cliquot and some strawberries freshly dipped in chocolate. This was amazing! There was no note or explanation, so the next day we went to the front desk to ask if someone had sent this to us. They said that no-one had sent this to us and it was actually a gift from the hotel. I was VERY embarrassed when I got home and went to work, only to have my colleague ask me if I received the bottle that my team had sent me. The hotel claimed responsibility for their gift!

I highly recommend you pick up some bottles of alcohol at duty free (we did so at LAX on our layover). This will save you a lot of money, as buying drinks at the resort, and even at the supermarket on the island, is VERY expensive. I would also recommend getting snacks, bottled water, etc.. in Vaitape at the store. We also got plastic bowls, spoons, cups and a little dish detergent there as well.

Overall we had a nice time and though the resort was one of the nicest we saw on our trip. I wouldn't necessarily discourage people from staying at Le Meridien. In fact, I thought the value was pretty good for what you get there, relative to the other resorts. The property is beautiful, the lagoon is great for checking out some fish. However, if you have the budget for it, I would suggest the St. Regis. That is where we would stay if we went back.

4  Thank AlexG1234
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Although Le Meridian may not be the highest rated or most expensive hotel, it still has enough Bora Bora charm to make a stay here a true taste of paradise. The standard over-water bungalow may be on the small side, but it is clean and modern with every amenity needed. The rooms have an over-sized glass bottom floor which adds a very dramatic feeling. You truly feel as though you are staying over water. The rest of the property is equally as dramatic as it is constructed around its own large lagoon that is separated from the waters of the caldera by a double-sided sandy beach. Also along the beach is an infinity pool that enjoys unobstructed views of the mountains of Bora Bora.

While the service is friendly and accommodating, it does seem to lack a certain polished excellence that can be found at the Four Seasons or St. Regis. Many of the staff struggle with English so one may want to practice their french a bit before coming here. The main negative about the property would be the food. Most of the time I found the food to be sub par. If you stay here try to dine out at other properties or on the main island most of the time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smooth_Obturator
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Let me start by saying that normally I wouldn't be able to afford to stay as we did but my sister works for Sheraton and Le Meridien is part of their properties. We stayed in one of the over the water bungalows. If you can afford it do it for at least 1 night. The rooms are huge. There were 3 of us in the room. The king bed was big enough for 3 people but they also had a nice couch that they made into a comfy bed for my friend. The glass floors are incredible at night. We saw sting rays and reef sharks. There is a fridge with stuff for the mini bar but we brought our own and took out what was in there to keep our stuff cool. There is a tv and phone but we didn't use any technology except for camera's on this trip. The bathrooms are huge separate shower and tub. There is a dry line cord over the bath tub.

The staff is friendly and genuinely happy to help you. The food is always fresh and cooked to order. The tap water is safe to drink. We ate at the breakfast buffet several times. There is plenty to choose from and they even make huge omelets to order. Sample everything. The fruit juices are amazingly fresh and tasty.

There is an awesome deck with chairs and a small table outside. From there you can walk down your private stairs and splash into the water which is always warm. There is also a rinse off shower at the bottom of the steps as well.

There is a good hair dryer in the room and you can get extra converters at the front desk. There is also a clock that has a plug in for an ipod or iphone. There is only one radio station on the island. We had the ac cranked and then had both the front door and back doors propped open to crate a wonderful breeze. The humidity was really high so you feel as wet all day as if you just walked out of the shower.

There was a towel shortage at the towel shack so when you get one hang on to it for a few days. Make sure you bring an underwater camera of some kind. Bring plenty of cash as many places on the island do NOT take credit cards. The hotel can arrange for a taxi to pick you up one you take their ferry to the main part of the island.

There is an inner lagoon you can snorkel in and a regular pool as well.. They have rental gear if you need it.

Plan on walking around the hotel a lot and drink plenty of water. There is a little gift shop by registration that has some water and sodas as well as sun screen. If there are more than 2 of you expect delays so they can make table arrangements.

We had an awesome time and enjoyed our 4 days there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melanie W
Reviewed 26 November 2011

You come to Bora Bora for the spectacular views. You get them with this hotel. We were upgraded to an overwater bungalow, fortunately one that faced the lagoon/mountain. For the most part the odd numbered ones in the 200 series face away from the mountain and the hotel. I guess it's more privacy but they look out to the St. Regis and a lot of nothing. Nice, but I much preferred walking out on my porch and seeing Mount Otemanu in its glory, so I'm glad we had an even numbered room (212). Spectacular at sunrise, sunset and every time in between. Both inner and outer lagoons have plenty of fish and rays, great for snorkeling. The bungalow was very nicely laid out, with lots of amenities. The glass floor was impressive. But again I highly recommend that, whichever type of room you book, you pick one that specifies mountain view. Otherwise you really could be anywhere.

The hotel grounds are impeccable and the activities desk is super helpful with booking restaurants, excursions, diving, transport, etc. Everyone is extremely friendly.

The food is the one sore spot. First of all, it's horribly expensive (drinks too). The buffet is $160 for two people. Okay, so you might expect that if going to Bora Bora but the thing is...it's not that great. We had the Polynesian buffet and were greatly disappointed. We talked to other guests who said the other nights were not better. We tried the a la carte restaurant once and it wasn't much better (compounded with service issues). The breakfast buffet was good and the only one I'd recommend. FYI it's not explicitly stated but if you just do the continental side of the buffet (which is a lot of food and variety) and pass on the eggs (the American breakfast as they refer to it) you pay a little less. We were quite happy with the continental variety of cheeses, breads, pastries, yougurt, desserts, fruit and smoked fish and cold cuts. So I'd suggest avoiding paying for full board upfront and eating on the island: transfers are free and organized by the hotel (totally easy and painless) and some restaurants were actually very good, like La Suite. So I'm glad we did our research and knew that going into it. We just had snacks for lunch and saved room for dinner. We spoke to some guests who had paid for half/full board and felt stuck.

Their scuba provider is excellent and took us to amazing sites (make sure you ask the activities desk to check what day the manta day dive site is scheduled for!). We also rented a little solo boat to go around the island (fantastic!) and a safari 4x4 tour which was very cool.

All in all I highly recommend Le Meridien, just not the food, but you have plenty of options on the island.

1  Thank GC_WorldTraveller