Review Highlights
Not a typical tourist attraction

This is a working dog kennel. It's not a fancy tourist attraction. That being said it is... read more

Reviewed 1 September 2018
Travellover196650
Lusby, Maryland
via mobile
Musher Dogs

After the visit came to know how the dogs were trained to run/Sledge in the winter season and how... read more

Reviewed 30 August 2018
AJITPATEL62
London, United Kingdom

All reviews iditarod race dog sledding dogs run great tour great fun interesting facts highlight of our trip salmon jerry puppies musher sosua jeep harness sleds bred woods
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

A remarkable tour that I would highly recommend. Jerry our guide has run the Iditarod for many years. His knowledge was shared openly and no question went unanswered. The ride was more fun than I expected! The dogs were amazing and it was so refreshing to know that the owners knew everyone of their names and personalities. ( over 65 dogs) it shows how much they care for their animals and the treatment that they receive was evident. This should be one of the tours on the top of your list.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Dogs in Alaska are born to run - they love it! After the dogs were all clamoring to be the ones chosen, the twelve finalists were hitched to an ATV (as we rode along) that kept them to the ten miles per hour they need to learn to maintain over the arduous course of the Iditarod, then splashed in a stream to cool down before taking us back. Jacob Vallee, a promising musher, guided us through it all, with interesting insight into the training of a sled dog. They also had puppies, which were a delight. Very enjoyable!

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I am truly a dog lover (I have 7), and was looking forward to this excursion on the land portion of our Alaskan trip!!!

It was HORRIBLE! The owners were very unfriendly. I have read that the wife's name was Kathleen, but would not know as she never introduced herself. The husband was rude and condescending. My friend asked him to take a picture and he said "take your own picture, surely you can see I'm busy". They obviously detest tourists!!!

The "sled" portion of this event was the dogs pulling an running RZR.
Nothing fun about it!! And not safe!!! Three passengers standing up in the back hanging on a roll bar and dodging low limbs, no seat belts or other safety equipment.

The worse part about this was the poor dogs. We visited 2 other sled dog kennels on our trip and this one was nothing less than shameful. It smelled, was not clean and they were very rough with the dogs. They tried to say that this was how you have to handle sled dogs, but this was NOT how the dogs were handled at other facilities. We were given NO opportunity to interact with the dogs. The entire place was just SAD!!!

The entire trip was about an hour and a half, but I was more than ready to get away from these people!

I don't understand why Princess still continues to list these people in their land excursions. I talked to Princess employees in the Mt McKinley Lodge who said people always complain about how they treat the dogs and how they treat the tourists. Your time in Alaska will be SO limited, don't waist it on this!!!

We went to "Tails of the Trail" with Mary Shields in Fairbanks. A delightful time with the first women to finish the Iditarod. She loves to tell stories of her adventures and she adores her dogs (they are treated like family). A much, much better experience!!!

If I could have given Sun Dog Kennels zero stars I would have!

1  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been to other kennels and this was by far in the worst shape of them all. it smelled terrible. I never smelled anything at the other kennels I have visited. Kathleen was less than friendly and actually said she looks at us as bags of dog food. wow. While it was informative regarding the Iditarod, I really wasn't impressed overall. Honestly, once you have seen other kennels you will know what I mean. There was very little interaction with the dogs. other kennels let you walk right up to them, scratch their bellies, etc. I really was very disappointed and would suggest you research another opportunity if it presents itself. Just take the riverboat cruise in Fairbanks to see the difference. Also, several in the Canadian Rockies.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

This is the REAL DEAL! We visited Sundog Kennels while we were in Talkeetna at the end of April. My 8-year-old son is studying the Iditarod at school and was interested in seeing a real sled dog kennel and interviewing an Iditarod musher. The end of April is a tough time to find tours in Alaska because winter tours are over and summer tours haven’t started yet. But Kathleen at Sundog Kennels was very accommodating and also willing to work around our other plans in Talkeetna. The experience was fun, interesting and so valuable for my son to see and hear about the process of running a sled dog kennel in addition to participating in a dog sled race such as the Iditarod.

My son observed activities and asked many questions related to caring for the dogs including the kenneling, feeding/watering, harnessing, handling, training, etc... (At the end of the tour, my son commented “Wow – taking care of that many dogs is a lot of work”. I appreciated the realistic perspective that there is a lot of hard work that accompanies the many rewards of dog sledding.)

We went on a training run with the dogs. (There was no snow so we were in an ATV on a trail with a team of 12 dogs.) There is nothing like riding behind a team of sled dogs that fosters love and appreciation for this breed of dog and for the sport. They are so powerful and driven to run. It was fun to see them working together and to hear about each dog’s personality.

After the training run, Jerry discussed the process of running the Iditarod and the gear/logistics involved in running this 1000 mile plus dog sled race. My son had many questions for him and Jerry answered them thoughtfully and thoroughly.

My son (and I) gained a deep and well-rounded perspective of and great appreciation for dog sledding from this experience. Many Thanks to Kathleen and Jerry for hosting our visit! It was really fun and very interesting!