“Great Fun”

Talkeetna Sundog Kennel
Ranked #19 of 26 Tours in Talkeetna
Reviewed 7 July 2017

My partner and I went on this tour. My partner has always wanted to do this activity since she was young. It was very exciting on the ATV with the dogs. The dogs are truly bred to run and just goooo! We also had to opportunity to hold some puppies!!!

All reviews
in 22 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

A remarkable tour that I would highly recommend. Jerry our guide has run the Iditarod for many years. His knowledge was shared openly and no question went unanswered. The ride was more fun than I expected! The dogs were amazing and it was so refreshing to know that the owners knew everyone of their names and personalities. ( over 65 dogs) it shows how much they care for their animals and the treatment that they receive was evident. This should be one of the tours on the top of your list.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Dogs in Alaska are born to run - they love it! After the dogs were all clamoring to be the ones chosen, the twelve finalists were hitched to an ATV (as we rode along) that kept them to the ten miles per hour they need to learn to maintain over the arduous course of the Iditarod, then splashed in a stream to cool down before taking us back. Jacob Vallee, a promising musher, guided us through it all, with interesting insight into the training of a sled dog. They also had puppies, which were a delight. Very enjoyable!

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I am truly a dog lover (I have 7), and was looking forward to this excursion on the land portion of our Alaskan trip!!!

It was HORRIBLE! The owners were very unfriendly. I have read that the wife's name was Kathleen, but would not know as she never introduced herself. The husband was rude and condescending. My friend asked him to take a picture and he said "take your own picture, surely you can see I'm busy". They obviously detest tourists!!!

The "sled" portion of this event was the dogs pulling an running RZR.
Nothing fun about it!! And not safe!!! Three passengers standing up in the back hanging on a roll bar and dodging low limbs, no seat belts or other safety equipment.

The worse part about this was the poor dogs. We visited 2 other sled dog kennels on our trip and this one was nothing less than shameful. It smelled, was not clean and they were very rough with the dogs. They tried to say that this was how you have to handle sled dogs, but this was NOT how the dogs were handled at other facilities. We were given NO opportunity to interact with the dogs. The entire place was just SAD!!!

The entire trip was about an hour and a half, but I was more than ready to get away from these people!

I don't understand why Princess still continues to list these people in their land excursions. I talked to Princess employees in the Mt McKinley Lodge who said people always complain about how they treat the dogs and how they treat the tourists. Your time in Alaska will be SO limited, don't waist it on this!!!

We went to "Tails of the Trail" with Mary Shields in Fairbanks. A delightful time with the first women to finish the Iditarod. She loves to tell stories of her adventures and she adores her dogs (they are treated like family). A much, much better experience!!!

If I could have given Sun Dog Kennels zero stars I would have!

1  Thank Sandra M
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been to other kennels and this was by far in the worst shape of them all. it smelled terrible. I never smelled anything at the other kennels I have visited. Kathleen was less than friendly and actually said she looks at us as bags of dog food. wow. While it was informative regarding the Iditarod, I really wasn't impressed overall. Honestly, once you have seen other kennels you will know what I mean. There was very little interaction with the dogs. other kennels let you walk right up to them, scratch their bellies, etc. I really was very disappointed and would suggest you research another opportunity if it presents itself. Just take the riverboat cruise in Fairbanks to see the difference. Also, several in the Canadian Rockies.