“Relax and Enjoy Ambience at Okeefes”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Colonia
O'Keefe's Waterfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed at Okeefes Waterfront Inn last week with 3 other guys on a dive trip to Yap. We are all diving instructors or divemasters, and wanted to enjoy the pristine waters of this remote island state in the FSM.
This is the second time we stayed at Okeefes. The best reference for this is the fact we wanted to go back. Sure we wanted the diving, and that was our driver to return. But we could have stayed at several other locations instead of Okeefes. We never considered doing so for a moment.
Okeefes is a small inn on the water front in the harbor of Colonia, Yap. It is right next door from the Manta Ray Resort. Consequently, it is good to compare the two. First, the rooms at Okeefes are compact but elegantly maintained, and very tradiional and quaint. In a word, the rooms have "character". Second, each room at Okeefes is on the waterfront as the name suggests. Each has its own balcony with an unobstructed view of the harbor and the sunrises on Yap. We enjoyed wine and cocktails nightly from our balcony, and walked across the street to what we considered the best restaurant in Coloinia for the price, called the Oasis. What could be more convenient? The convenience was as thought the Inn had its own restaurant.
The food was better than and less than that offered at the Manta Ray Resort, so many of the Manta Ray's guests were found at the Oasis in the evenings for dinner.
The staff and management of the Inn are first rate, and very helpful. They were always polite and respectful for the privacy of the guests.
We wanted a rental car on our last day in Yap, so all we had to do was ask at the front desk, and the staff took care of it.
As stated above the trip was for scuba diving. Okkeefes management assisted me in the organization of our dive package and coordinated with our operator which was not the Manta Ray Resort operator. We ended up with better pricing as a result, and also we dived our own schedule and locations.
I plan to return to Yap in the future for the diving and I will once again stay at Okeefes. Why consider anywhere else?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mcleanlaw

Reviewed 16 March 2011

After making absolutely last-minute plans to visit Yap for the dances and cultural displays on Yap Day 2011 (actually two days, Feb. 28 and Mar. 1), I was particularly grateful that the staff at O'Keefes was willing to give me a room, even though it meant cleaning the room of a departing guest at 3:00 am so I could move in a couple of hours after I arrived at 12:30 a.m. As it turned out, another guest didn't show so I got into the room at 2:00 a.m. I've been traveling to Yap almost annually for 40 years and this was one of the most enjoyable visits I've had, in part because O'Keefes Waterfront Inn is such a comfortable place to stay. I'm especially grateful to Don and Kenag and Leo and the other staff who made the stay so comfortable and were so willing to help and answer questions about Yap Day activities. I've already recommended O'Keefes to other friends planning visits to Yap, and I'm looking forward to a return visit later this year.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DR-GU
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We traveled to Yap to get away for a few days and stayed at OKeefe's Waterfront Inn. The staff were great and all knew our names before we got there. There are only about 5 rooms. There is a small restaurant across the street that is part of the inn with good food and more reasonable prices than Manta Ray Bay next door. We dove with Manta Ray Bay resort which was right next door and easy to walk to. If I remember correctly, Capt OKeefe was from Savannah, Georgia and the Inn is refurbished in polished wood giving it a nautical/colonial/Southern sort of ambiance. The owner sat and had a beer with us and was a treasure trove of information about the island and its history and culture. The scuba diving was great and I wouldn't miss it but Im glad we took a couple days to see the island too. We hiked one of the ancient stone paths across the island and even had a chance to help with one of the villages' projects to maintain and repair their part of one of the paths. We also got to see several of the village dances at a holiday fundraising festival they held at the community center in Colonia. The people were wonderful. I cant wait to go back to Yap and I will stay at OKeefes again to enjoy its atmosphere and people. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PyratePete
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We loved O'Keefe's! The diving in Yap was absolutely amazing, and it was right next door! It just doesn't get more convenient. We arrived late at night and the gentleman at the front desk was kind enough to call Yap divers, even though it was late. Their representative came right over to introduce himself to us and assure us we were all set to dive the next morning. He even arranged for someone to return the next morning to pick up all our dive gear and carry it next door for us.

As for the hotel, we couldn't have been happier. It was really cozy and charming. It felt like staying at a quaint little inn in England, only on a tropical island instead. There were plenty of restaurant options within walking distance. Each evening we would pre-order our breakfast for the following morning and it would be delivered to us quite early before we would begin our day of diving. All the rooms are set up beautifully and are directly on the water.

Also, the hotel is kind enough to extend a late check out to you due to most airlines flight times being so late at night. I believe the late check out allows you to stay in your room until around 5pm, but we asked to keep the room right up until our 2am flight, and were only charged half a nights room for that. Which is more than reasonable, I think.

My husband and I are hoping to return to Yap before we leave Guam and will definitely be staying at O'Keefe's again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank juliefnyc
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We had an absolutely wonderfulb stay at O'Keefe's Inn on the island of Yap. If you are staying on Yap this is the place to stay - it is perfect! Our room was really beautiful and very tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. Each of the rooms has a lovely terrace onto the sea which was great. The ambience is so perfect and you are made to feel very special by the staff. The staff are all incredibly helpful and work really hard to make the stay very memorable. It was great to be somewhere so quiet where there were no cars or traffic.

The inn is decorated beautifully throughout with lovely furniture and furnishings. The bar is great and served up a wonderful G&T which was a lovely surprise after being on a different island.

The Inn is owned and managed by Don who was just amazing! He was so helpful and organised all of our diving and sorted out a private trip around the island for us. His knowledge of the island and the people was really helpful.

I simply cannot recommend this place more highly. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tooting_diver

Been to O'Keefe's Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!