All reviews tongariro alpine crossing stayed here place to stay package deal definitely recommend this place enjoyed our stay old coach road great hospitality friendly hosts cooked breakfast national park chris spa bedroom
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with 2 bathrooms. It was very spacious and very well equipped with very comfortable beds and good hot water for the showers. The lighting in the living area was very poor making it hard to read, bedroom lighting was better. We appreciated being able to use the spa pool in the hotel, although this was a little tired and the jets were a bit feeble. It was a bit untidy outside the cottage with some things which needed tidying away. Chris the owner, and his lovely dog were very welcoming, we would visit again.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2016

This hotel offers an excellent package for the Tongariro Crossing. Everything is well organised and clearly outlined to you when checking in. From there on it was plain sailing. The meals and lunch provided were very good. Chris and Christine were extremely hospitable. We appreciated the special touches, especially the spa and a selection of up to date magazines.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2016

I booked three grab one deals for our family to stay and do the crossing. Right from the start Chris our host was very accommodating. This really is a great base for doing the crossing. Our dinner , lunch and two breakfasts were provided and enjoyed. We took advantage of using the lounge area to have a few drinks with friends. Everything was taken care of. Rooms are clean and comfortable although a little dated in decor. No complaints from us - a great stay and excellent value. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2016

We booked a Grab One deal with the intention of walking the Tongariro Crossing, which sadly didn't eventuate because of the weather. No matter, Chris was an excellent host and we had a great stay! Our room was perfect; well kitted out and the bed very comfortable. Had dinner with the other guests which was a nice touch. Will happily stay again. Take up the Grab One offe; it's a winner.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2016

The hotel itself was very comfortable and clean with good breakfasts - certainly no complaints there. A minibus, arranged by the hotel, took us to the start of the 8 hour walk beginning at 8 a.m. The walk was fairly busy and approximately 20 km. The views were great although to be fair at the start we didn't get the clearest of weather. The problem occurred on the way down on the last 2.5 hour section. Up until that point we were well within the target time to meet up with the arranged return transport pick up at 4 p.m. but then I developed really bad pressure on my toes which were blistered and bleeding and I was in real pain - making this downhill section slow. It became obvious that, although very close to the end of the walk, I was not going to make it at the scheduled pick up time. So my husband went ahead and let the minibus driver know that I was going to be about 10 minutes later than the 4.00pm deadline. The minibus driver said she would not wait that extra 10 minutes but went without me. I hobbled back at at the car park at 4.08p.m. (with another lady also suffering - also from the same bus / hotel). My husband had to go on the minibus without us in order to get back to the hotel and collect our car (appoximately an hour away) and then return to pick up myself and the other lady and her husband who had stayed with us. We waited the 2 hours for my husband to return with the car.
To us, it is unacceptable, that people (I'm 65 this year) are left stranded and in pain in a remote spot, without transport, for the sake of just a 10 minute wait. The driver was told that we were just 10 minutes away. Unfortunately the hotel owner agreed with the minibus driver that she need not have waited for us as they were on tight budgets.
My recommendation is that, go and enjoy the walk, but seek a more responsible driver / hotel that take their duty of care more seriously and ensure that their guests (having walked for 8hrs on a mountain crossing) are returned. All our friends who have done this crossing have been horrified that the driver would not wait 10 minutes and all spoke highly of the extra effort, when needed, that was taken by their transport drivers on their trips.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple