“Perfect ”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited for my birthday on Easter Saturday. We had been semi frequent diners about 10 years ago but have had kids and moved away from the area. It was as good as I remembered. Very good service. Yummy food. We had the Easter special of 5 courses and glass wine for under $70. Very good value for money. Yes the lobster was small but for that price I'm not going to complain. I love that you can byo wine at no charge. I can't wait to come back when my kids are old enough to sit quietly and not disturb others. Every course was delicious. A little more sauce with the prawn cocktail is literally my only suggestion for improvement. Thanks again for a nice child free special dinner.

Sue M, Manager at Lobster Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review for the Lobster Cave, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your feedback regarding our customer service and cuisine. Our Staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service is delivered at all times along with a exceptional dining experience. Wonderful to hear we are getting it right. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

What a dreadful experience. I received an sms with a seafood platter special offer and thought it would be great to take advantage of it with my wife and daughter. We sat down and the waiter asked whether we wanted a bottle of sparkling water. We said yes and he came back with 3 opened bottles! We said that we only wanted one, but ended up taking all 3 because we felt bad (at $20 for a 3 X 300ml bottles). We ordered the platter and asked whether the calamari in the platter was fried or grilled. The waiter informed us that it was fried and we asked if it could be grilled. The waiter told us that there were no variations to the menu. This was odd as the restaurant was very quiet and it would just be a different cooking method, so not sure why it couldn't be done. We then decided to order a side of grilled calamari as my wife cannot eat fried food. When the platter came, it had grilled calamari on it! So we ended up paying for two grilled calamari dishes despite the waiter wrongly informing us (an extra $15!). We began eating and realised that the oysters were off - very bitter tasting and off in texture. We ended up not having them at all. The waiter then came by with a plate of chips which we didn't order. When we finished our meal, we asked for the bill and noticed that we had been charged for the chips (which was subsequently taken off the bill). There was a charge of $15 which I inquired about to be told it was a public holiday surcharge. This was the first time I had heard of such a charge. Not sure why this was charged as the restaurant was empty. Probably to cover waiter penalty rates. I was really annoyed by this and then paid by credit card to be told that I had to pay another 1% credit card surcharge (another $17 between the two charges). I asked if I could use an entertainment book voucher to be told that I couldn't as it was a public holiday. I have been to the Lobster Cave a few times before but I left having an average meal and feeling very ripped off. I was never informed of the holiday surcharge when booking, I ended up paying for 3 bottles of water when only ordering one, almost had to pay for a dish I never ordered, had to pay for an extra dish when I didn't need one, paid for food that I didn't eat (oysters) and then had to pay extra for using my credit card. Sadly, I will not go back.

Sue M, Manager at Lobster Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

So disappointed to be reading this. As a speciality high profile celebration, occasion restaurant since 1987 and under the one ownership, with no views or prime positioning, we service over 300 clientele a day. A restaurant in this industry does not survive as above if it was substandard. If you would like to discuss any of your concerns we would welcome a conversation. Our number is 0589 6329 . Thank you.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We are regular diners with Lobster Cave and usually it is a Groupon Deal. We often recommend Lobster Cave’s Groupon deal to friends for lunch or dine to celebrate birthday, anniversary or just a get together.

Lately I found the standard of the food is not as good as they used to be. Not as great value for money as they advertised. Here are my comments and experience.

Entrée
Seafood Chowder is rich and generous in size. Not always available
Lobster Bisque is very flavoursome
Kuro Prawns are coated with panko crumbs and charcoal infused. The panko is very hard and dry took the flavour away from the prawns.
Cold Smoked Tassie Salmon is fresh, tasty and a good choice if you like salmon.

Main

Surf & Turf seared lobster tail, eye fillet, tempura prawns, S&P squid – it is neither lobster tail nor seared. There is a different between having lobster tail which is meaty and flavoursome when cooked properly.

Ferg’s Flaming Favorites – it was ½ a tiny lobster with less than a spoonful of meat. It was not flame grilled and was undercooked. The eye fillets on 2 dinners were rare and not medium as said on the menu. Meat was tough.

Marinara Pasta looks good and seemed a good choice.

Desert

Crème Brulee – is always a diner’s favourite
Figs with icecream – very small serve of dried caramelised figs. Not enough to actually judge flavour. Ordinary

Service was excellent and staff is very attentive and helpful.

It is an excellent way for restaurants to advertise on Groupon as it draws the attentions of diners searching for a good place to eat with value for money. There are a lot of restaurants around Lobster Cave so it is a very competitive industry. I miss the old Groupon Lobster deal where you actually have a Lobster Tail and not minute lobster and was properly cooked as said on the menu.

Sue M, Manager at Lobster Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

A very extensive review. Thank you. I will make sure our head chef receives your feedback, We offer friendly, reliable service and menu choices to all demographics allowing our customer’s to steer their expenditure and choice whether it be $40 per head or up to $300 per head. We have had a very good response from our Groupon menu and we appreciate your comments however, it is not always easy to please all. This menu does tend to vary based on availability of produce. Appreciate your comments and value your opinion.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We responded to an email they sent to us promoting flame grilled lobster, garlic prawns and rice with a glass of boutique wine.

The waiter was wonderful, the decor was great, the little corn fritter and after dinner chocolates and port were greatly appreciated.

But...when you are The Lobster Cave and you are promoting lobster as the first item of the email burst, you really need to serve a fair portion of LOBSTER.

Ours were each a tiny half that by the time we took the meat from the shell, it equated to the size of about two small sardines out of a tin.

Would not be returning and paying serious money for a serving like that.

Sue M, Manager at Lobster Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to write. We offer friendly, reliable service and menu choices to all demographics allowing our customer’s to steer their expenditure and choice whether it be $40 per head or $300 per head. Lobster is very pricey at present so the serving size is based on the expenditure. The deal in which you have paid for at either $19.90 pp or $35 pp is giving our clientele still the option of having lobster without it costing a small fortune. It is very much a price point driven product based on the weight of the Lobster you are having.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Where to start? Well firstly this place is not easy to find. Try looking up the address in your GPS and see how that goes. Not good in my case.

Well we found it eventually and headed in. I’ll cut to the chase....the oysters, which range from $6.90 to $7.50 each (that’s $82.80 to $90.00 a dozen, making them THE most expensive in Australia) were rubbish. Total crap. However they were very apologetic, blamed a new supplier, told us good oysters were very hard to get at the moment (rubbish) and took them off the bill.

For main we had lobster, I mean why else go to a place called the Lobster Cave, and it was ok. The accompanying salad was so salty it was inedible and the chips way overcooked.

It’s a pity because this place used to be good and we went with great expectations but seriously it’s very very expensive and the whole proposition just does not stack up. We left really disappointed and won’t be back.

Sue M, Manager at Lobster Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

As a speciality high profile celebration, occasion restaurant since 1987 and under the one ownership, with no views or prime positioning, we service over 300 clientele a day. A restaurant in this industry does not survive as above if it was substandard. As I spoke to you on the night we did have a new supplier that we were trying on the night you had dined with us. I also took the oyster's away and had the three dozen you ordered deleted from your account. In which the very next day we had been on the phone trying other supplier's we even took the oyster's off the menu until we had another patch in. We are extremely happy with the oyster's we have on our current menu and would challenge anyone to find better. As for the Lobster I was of the understanding you and your wife enjoyed it and I seen you both out with a complimentary bottle of wine. We are sorry you will not return as I am sure you would not be disappointed.