“refuge in Bali”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Canggu
Schwaz, Austria
“refuge in Bali”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Located about 45 to 60+ minutes from the Denpasar airport [traffic depending], this is a fine little gem of a hotel. Canggu is a popular beach for surfing on Bali, and the area draws a mix of young surfers and middle/older age tourists - Russians were greatly in evidence. The Bali Tugu hotel is a bit of an oasis just off the beach with its two story wood villas, manicured gardens and pool walled off from the outside. It's a very short walk from the hotel over to the beach - and you can stretch you legs walking quite a distance along the ocean. A serious ocean too - for what makes good surfing does not always lend itself to a casual dip. The beach can also be quite dirty, as trash washes up at times - greatly diminishing the appeal.

On the other hand, the hotel has an attractive small pool with a half dozen lounge chairs to wile away some time reading/relaxing. The spacious villas have dipping pools and/or large sunken tubs, and provide the feeling of a luxury stay in colonial times, only thankfully with air conditioning.

The grounds also include several beautiful buildings offering interesting dining options [Chinese, traditional Balinese], however these appeared more suited to groups than one or two guests. Nevertheless the hotel offers an extensive menu of Indonesian and Western dishes - nearly all well prepared. We found the quality of a few breakfast items uneven. Note that there are some excellent restaurants in the vicinity for a change of pace. The hotel graciously provided a car and driver to the restaurants [based on availability], and taxi fares to the surrounding area were reasonable [<USD10 one way].

In summary, we found our stay relaxing and enjoyable; the service excellent; and the ambiance warm and welcoming. One caution is that the beach experience may not measure up to expectations - if those are white sugar sand with clear blue gently rolling surf. If you have a board on the other hand...

Room Tip: The nearby Sarong restaurant provides excellent Asian inspired dishes.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PhileasFoggII

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Indonesian first
Hamburg
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed 5 day at the Tugu Bali and it was by far the nicest, most special and wellcoming place during our 3 week trip through Bali. Everything about the hotel is done with so much attention to detail and respect for the balinese culture and history. A truly special place with wonderful people. We hope to come back to our little paradise on Bali.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank baresis
JasmineHolidays
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Tugu is like nowhere else in Bali - it's really probably my favourite hotel on the island. It's got so much character it just makes walking around the place such a delight (don't forget to ask the front desk for a little tour of the hotel). Yes imagine that - a 'tour' of the hotel! You don't get that at the Hyatt or the Sheraton.

I stayed in a Rejang Suite which is the second floor room. The rooms have sea views with large terraces and outdoor bathtub... You can hear the sound of the waves breaking from the bed - so nice!

I had a good look at the other rooms and would highly recommend the Walter Spies or Puri Le Mayeur Suites. The Walter Spies Suite contains personal artefacts of the artist, and the bed headboard is constructed from his wooden garden gate! They are really special places to stay. All the rooms are full of character, without compromising on comfort.

Food at Tugu was great - loved the Indonesian breakfast. Service is very friendly and personal without being too corporate.

The beach – well it’s not the Maldives, but the beach here is quiet – it’s a surf beach so you can hear the waves breaking. For a beautiful beach - stay at Tugu Bali for a few nights then go to the Tugu Lombok which is on a really fantastic beach.

If staying somewhere authentic with character and soul is important to you, then Tugu is THE place to stay in Bali.

Thanks to the lovely people at Tugu for making my short stay special.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JasmineHolidays
North America
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Right from several months before our stay until they loaded us up into our driver's van with heartfelt goodbyes and a beautiful fruit basket, the staff at Hotel Tugu never ceased to amaze us.

We had never been to Bali before, and this being a "big" anniversary trip, I worried about the "right place" to celebrate. I could not have picked a better hotel. Right from replying quickly to any inquiry to getting us a correct electrical adapter for our room, to the great VIP pick-up service from the airport, the staff were extremely gracious, professional, and pleasant to deal with.

The Tugu is located in an oasis of beautiful gardens, with gorgeous Canggu Beach just steps away across a narrow access road. I picked the hotel as it had beautiful, traditional, architecture but was outside the chain box. Hotel Tugu delivered just that and much more. We had a Dendari Suite, which is on ground level with a private dipping pool. The private pool was large, and surprisingly deep; I am 5'2" and the water came right up to my collar bones. The rooms are beautifully and thoughtfully decorated, with our suite containing a gorgeous semi-outdoor bathroom with rainforest shower head and a view out to the many fish in the canals that wind through the property. The bed was extremely comfortable and the air-conditioning was great, the Tugu being one of the rare properties that provided adequate A/C during our Indonesia trip. Soaps and other amenities were packaged in "vintage" hand-made paper and everything, I mean, everything, at the hotel had a beautiful "vintage" look - evocative of the romantic 30's, right down to the "aged" post card with a greeting written on it for us and to the twig pencil in the room to write with.

I have read previous reviews of the hotel being "old" but those people sadly did not "get" it. The Tugu is meant to be romantic, and traditional - that means tastefully picked out antiques, teak furniture, hand-carved doors, with modern touches throughout. If you want minimalist, stainless-steel surroundings, you will have to look elsewhere. Everything was also clean to the point of being pristine.

I am the first to try local restaurants and really advocate supporting local businesses, but the food was so delicious and well-done at the Hotel Tugu that we ate there for most of our meals! Breakfast is very comprehensive - from traditional Indonesian to Western dishes to pick from and everything done perfectly. You can have as much as you want and you probably will skip lunch. I can safely say from what we overheard from other guests and from what I've read here on TA is to get the FRENCH TOAST. It is incredible!!! However, I repeat, everything is done so well. I had the best club sandwich here out of all our travels at this hotel (and you can tell from my profile I've been a lot of places).

We had a romantic dinner included in our package, and it was a five-star gourmet experience, with several courses. Set in an ancient Chinese Temple on the grounds, it was very unique and something we will remember in years to come.

I took a cooking lesson from one of the chefs and it was such a great experience, I learned a lot, and cooked a lot! The chef and the staff member who interpreted for me were great ladies, and at the end of the day, it felt like a few girlfriends getting together to cook and chat. My husband had a couple of spa treatments and said they were great.

There are no words to describe how wonderful they made our anniversary. This is one of the very few hotels we would return to in Indonesia. Hopefully we will be able to try their other properties in the future. Note: You can get the best deals with Luxury Link but bring a printed copy of the package you buy; our package changed from the time purchased to the time we stayed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lady_World_Traveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

It's difficult to overstate a place like Tugu without coming over all weepy and retrospectively romantic. Put simply it's a great example of when a entire country's culture and people as sympathetically fused with some outstanding historical buildings. My girlfriend and I spent 5 nights in the Dedari suite and they were arguably the best of a 14 day trip. The accommodation is largely faultless as soon as you get into the feeling of being largely removed from Western influence. Walking into the main temple flanked by Koi ponds, with Bats overhead darting between aged and blackened beams, jet-lagged and slightly dazed was pretty unforgettable.

I should add at this point, that if given that opportunity, plump for the VIP pick up for about $20 a head. An associate of Tugu will whisk you past the waiting hoards at Denpasar arrivals, magic up your Visas and get you to the sound of the waves crashing on Canggu within the hour.

Food is exceptional, as others have highlighted the traditional breakfast is something to behold. The Kawisari coffee is molten caffeine and I'm only gutted I didn't bring any back with me. Dinner by the Lotus pond was unforgettable.

What Tugu has managed to pull off is that feeling that you’re one of a very select few staying at the hotel. A combination of great use of space and attentive service maintains the highest levels of privacy that you can tend to crave if you live in a city like London. Some have commented that they felt the service can let the place down. I have to disagree. If you want simpering falseness then head to Dubai or Vegas. The Balinese, more than anything, want you to enjoy their country and the employees of Tugu are clearly proud of the place that they sustain. Dewi, Sri et al were the best of hosts and I wish them all well for the future. We’ll certainly be back to Tugu, but next time I’ll remember to take home some coffee.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulyonder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
0.8 km away
#10 of 146 in Seminyak
0.5 km away
FRii Bali Echo Beach, Hotel

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Canggu

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!