3,533 results
All reviews club room sky bar infinity pool tides restaurant terrace restaurant club restaurant private beach beach view room arabian sea the main hotel the cliff golf cart amazing property coconut water ayurvedic spa god's own country beach side
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Made a short trip to kovalam and Leela proved a good choice . The location is the best thing about the hotel , situated right along the beach some of the rooms ( as part of the Club ) provide you really good view of the ocean ( thats what geo tagging say Indian Ocean :) with adjoining pool and a restaurant .
The private beach is pretty small but well maintained .
Buffet spread is ok but quality could have been better .
Specially with kids , the property gives ample stuff to indulge in .

Room Tip: A beach facing room is worth it even though they charge a little extra for it ..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NitinBansal_27
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We took a all meal package considering the brand equity of the name. But i was truely mistaken, the vegetarian food was so less. The nan / roti served was more a chewing gum. I escalated the matter to F&B manager, who was reported of not being in hotel. On complaining to duty manager, we got a response that they are serving food.
So they set themselve lawfully right, but in hospitality they stink. I was really mislead as i tried leela banaglore for dining, which was excellent.
For the caddy to the beach, waiting time was like 20-25 minutes. The caddy people / guard use to behave as if they are doing great favor for taking us on caddy to beach...
You will not feel to be in any 5*. The duty manager seems to be some new lad or a college fresher, not knowing any etiquette of even reverting back to guest's problem.
Anyways, will think of not visiting any leela any future if they are not refunding my full money. They really ruined our mood and my honeymoon landed to be really bad....
Anyways sorry for late review, was bit occupied in things...

Room Tip: Dont go for Leela, I went to Taj in Kovalam for dinner, it was a an awesome experience. Go for it..!! Even they charge you 25-30% less than Leela. You can imagine food at Leela, that i left my paid lunch at Leela and went to Taj for it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank eternal_ankit
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We spent a wonderful Christmas at the Leela. We stayed in a Club room and therefore used all Club facilities, something I would highly recommend. The Club was hugely luxurious and the service was wonderful. Spending Christmas morning staring out over the Indian Ocean eating that wonderful buffet breakfast was memorable. A fab hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the Club
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JandA28
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Went to this place for a offsite meeting and spent there a weekend. From Airport around 12 Kms away, welcome drink and way handled by the front desk people was excellent. Once check-In done, through buggy reached to room. very clean and kept everything in place. Swimming pool also very close by and well maintained.

Room Tip: "Rooms which are beach facing ( 100 to 115 ) are good one and within budget"
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank gvkumar
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I've broken down my review into a few different sections:

Check in:

Nice welcome with coconut water to drink, sea shell necklaces etc... we arrived at 10:00, asked to wait as our room was not ready. The lobby is nice and overlooks the pool. We had to wait until 1pm for the room to become available. Really if there is going to be such a long wait, guests should be offered shower and changing facilities - I remember staying at Le Meridien in Dubai where we were offered similar services.

Anyway while waiting for our room to be ready we ordered some food. I went for a vegetarian lasagne and my wife had some indian aloo tikki. The lasagne was absolutely revolting - tasted worse than any frozen supermarket dish I have eaten. My wife said the tikki were okay.

The room:

The rooms are styled as mini-chalets I guess - ours was at ground level by the beach. The property is situated on a rocky outcrop with the main hotel being at the top; there is a road down to the beach, Tides restaurant and further rooms by the private beach.

In terms of positives, we have a lovely view of the sea, beach and coconut trees from our bed. The room was spacious and clean. The bed and pillows were wonderful. Large TV.

Now the bad: Perhaps 100 metres down the road is a mosque. Like all mosques, there is a 5 x day call to prayer - in this case using loudspeakers!!! It actually didn't bother me at all but could be very annoying for light sleepers to be woken up at 6am. The bathroom was so-so - the shower screen was stained and hot water was luke-warm at best - we had hotter water on our houseboat compared to this hotel. No decent ventilation in the bathroom. We also had trouble with the AC, intermittent wifi connectivity and lastly the room was looking a little faded - for example there was a broken Honeywell thermostat on the wall - useless, unsightly but still there.

The property:

The hotel is situated in large lush grounds overlooking the sea. Most rooms are situated around the main hotel but, perhaps 20 or so are by the beach. Getting to the smaller set of rooms involves a walk down a steep path and having to cross a public road. You can get a lift with a golf buggy but there is often a wait. When crossing the public road you get the inevitable hassle from taxi touts etc... The whole property is looking like it needs an update. When driving in we noticed a large statue of an Indian lady holding a basket - it was badly painted and ugly - why was she jumping out of the bushes?

The pool is by the main lobby. It's nice, infinity-style but again needs an update. A lot of the tiles are broken on the floor.

The beach:

To be fair we went in monsoon season - although no rain during our stay and beautiful sunshine every day. The beach is dirty and the 'private beach' is non-existent. When the tide is up there is no beach, when the tide is down there is a lot of litter. IF YOU ARE AFTER A BEACH HOLIDAY YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Food:

Breakfast is a good selection especially if you like Indian food. Plenty of fresh fruit. Good coffee. We did not eat in the main restaurant again after our disappointing initial meal.

We did eat at the Taj for dinner which was excellent - really very nice - the poolside restaurant.

Service:

Good and bad. My wife lost an item of jewellery poolside and staff very helpfully found it by the next day. However there were plenty of cases of indifferent service - e.g. wanted to borrow a book from the library - all locked up - sorry sir the guy with the key is out for lunch, come back in 45 minutes - hmmm, a little forward planning & leaving the key with someone else might be helpful.

Rudeness - at checkout. The woman who checked us out was on the phone constantly to another member of staff about another room. Sorry, but not what I would expect at a 5 star hotel. You full attention should be at the guest.

Overall:

I do not think I would come back to this hotel. I guess that is the sign of our satisfaction (or lack of). Having eaten and wandered around the Taj, I think this is a much better option.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the mosque
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mr_rushLondon