Open today: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
one peaceful hour just before closing

Reviewed 19 September 2016

from USD 105.00
from USD 180.00
from USD 95.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We visited here as part of a cruise company tour. The stop was fairly short but the complex is not very big. If I were passing on the street I would not have know what was inside or the historical significance. There are some nice, small size temples with other historical displays (with English translation). It's a nice stop as part of a tour but I wouldn't say it's a "must see". It is interesting to note the emperor respected Confucius enough to allow the the use of the gold roofing, reserved for the emperor.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

...( * But had no reason to ask)...The tour bus pulled up along side a walled compound in the financial district of downtown Tianjin and with a knowing wink and nod the tour guide herded us past the admission kiosk (the admissions attendant was grinning broadly so I sneeked a peek at posted admission price: it said 30RMB). 30RMB (US$5) are you kidding? This better be good... Inside the grounds and facilities were immaculate as if maintained and handed down through the centuries by some invisible hand. The various exhibits were accompanied by explanations written in both Chinese and English. However, I noticed very few local Chinese at the temple, just busload after busload of western tourists. It took less than an hour to peruse the various displays. On the way out, just outside the walls I noticed two retirement aged Chinese men talking to each other and gesticulating while taking in the spectacle. (The average life expectancy at birth in China is now 76 years, up from 36 in 1949 when chairman Mao and his merry men took control). I do not pretend to speak Mandarin but do understand body language so allow me to translate what they were saying: "Tourists on parade".

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Tianjin Confucian Temple is peaceful place. You will enjoy the visit and the statue of Confucius that live 500 years BC.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Located among surounding large, modern buildings. Grounds are very peaceful. There's not much written in a English. Buildings look very similar to others in China.

1  Thank ncjc2013
Reviewed 10 April 2017

This temple is in the middle of modern Tianjin but once you enter the grounds you are taken back hundreds of years and can enjoy the tranquility of the Temple grounds. Wonderful old buildings and Temple gates. Interesting statue of Confucius. Good washrooms as well.

Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

I've visited the place an hour or so before closing (4PM) and we got ushered just when we came to a hall with English info. Otherwise not many other texts in English. Nice series of peaceful courtyards and halls, a good introduction to chinese historic architecture. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

The Confucian Museum is a pleasant surprise for me. It is located in a shopping district, next to a shopping mall called New World Department Store (where Carrefour is located). It cost RMB 30, which is not cheap for a temple, compared to RMB 5 for Dabei Temple. But it is certainly worth the money for these reasons:

1. You can learn about the teachings of Confucius in the museums. One thing that surprises me is the wide availablility of English explanations in the exhibition halls. Thus it was a pleasant experience learning more about Confucius. Beyond the exhibition halls there are very little English descriptors.

2. There is a section where you can pay RMB 30 to RMB 40 to get a plaque to make your well wishes to Confucius. It is a popular place to ask for good academic results. The lady manning the stall and hall is very friendly. She taught how to pray and volunteered to take many photos of me posing next to the wishing wall. She even advised me on the interesting things I can find in other halls. For a foreigner who knows little about Confucius, this really makes my day.

3. The temple is safe and not crowded (except during the Chinese Exams Gaokao period). There are no beggars or con man around the area. In fact, it is a temple surrounded by so many skyscraper malls that you might even miss it.

4. The toilet is clean but a bit dark. My advice is you visit the toilets at the Friendship Mall next to the temple instead.

5. I was pleasantly surprised that the halls in the temple were very cooling even though there are no air con or fans. This was despite a hot Friday afternoon. The ancient people are really good at building houses with natural cooling designs.

In short, it was a highly pleasant experience. Definitely my favourite temple in Tianjin. It will take around 1 to 1.5 hours to explore the halls.

1  Thank jonascn
Reviewed 2 May 2016

The Confucian Temple is serene and is a great place for some relaxation and photography. It is surprisingly peaceful inside the grounds, given what is happening outside.

1  Thank DJRix007
Reviewed 20 December 2014

I spent about an hour here while waiting for my daughter to finish class and got some great photos of the restored and preserved temple. Each building features different Confucian icons related to various needs, wealth, health, etc.. I went early in the morning so I was basically alone. It costs 30 kuai and I believe it's free to residents of Tianjin. If you like Temples and the traditional Chinese architecture, you'll enjoy the visit.

Reviewed 17 December 2014 via mobile

Interesting place, beautiful buildings and surroundings. There were lots of signs in english about confucianism but unfortunately none about the temple or its history. It would have been nice to know more about which parts were authentic and which were rebuilt. It was however worth a visit!