RW's Fishing & Big Eddy Resort
USD 171*
USD 157*
Best Western King Salmon Motel(Soldotna)(Great Value!)
USD 169*
Kenai River Lodge(Soldotna)(Great Value!)
USD 158*
Soldotna Inn(Soldotna)
USD 147*
USD 137*
USD 116*
Aspen Extended Stay Suites(Kenai)(Great Value!)
USD 169*
USD 129*
USD 125*
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I purchased a trip here through a fundraising auction and was a little skeptical at first because of some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We arrived late on a Saturday evening and were greeted with a smile by (Deanna) and told we were not scheduled to fish for the next day and that was fine with us. We had planned something just in case, so we were prepared. Our room (condo) was very clean, cozy and very spacious being that it was only 2 of us and not a traditional group of 4. It had a fridge, stove, microwave all you would need to cook and more, including a grill outside. RW's also rents fishing poles and gear for the week if you want to fish on your own. We opted to rent some gear and we fished right at the resort for reds with mixed success, some days great and some days ok. Our first guided day of fishing was on a halibut charter out of Homer. We didn't mind driving the distance to Homer because we wanted to explore other places anyways. The halibut fishing charter was great and I would recommend them. (Rainbow Charters) Our second day of fishing we were scheduled for the 3:15 a.m float trip on the Kenai. One thing people have to understand if you are there when the reds are running everyone and their dog will be on the river. In addition to that you have to drive 30-40 miles away to get to the boat ramp. We had no problem getting up that early for the first crack at a good spot. Although fishing was spotty because the run was winding down our guide switched us to trout and we had a great time reeling them in even though we couldn't keep them. I will say that is some great customer service to just switch species and keep us on some fish. Our other days were supposed to be salmon days, but obviously the Kenai was closed for kings and the drift boats were full of other guests so they sent us on another halibut trip. Perfectly fine in my book being that our trip didn't include a second halibut option. We had one more day of fishing that we had to cancel because we had booked a fly-out fishing trip prior to arriving. RW's even went through the hassle of trying to rearrange their schedule and reschedule our fly-out so they could get us fishing. That is great customer service and they didn't have to do it. Every employee at RW's treated everyone the same and were very accommodating and professional, including the fishing equipment guy (Dick) and the fish processor (Bill). RW's even had a special BBQ and fishing for the Wounded Warrior Project while we were there. Overall the fishing was good not great, but the accommodations and customer service were excellent. The spotty fishing had nothing to do with the guides or resort. We still caught fish and had a great time. That's why they call it fishing and not catching. There are no guarantees when fishing, even in Alaska. It all depends on when you go. Based off of my experience I would recommend RW's Fishing and I WILL be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Yellowstone75
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Checked in on a Saturday and was told that King Salmon fishing was closed on the river indefinitely last Thursday. Off to a bad start!!!

The good.

The property is really nice and the condos are great. Very clean and spacious. The entire property is very well maintained and beautiful.

They take good care of your fish and are a professional operation when it comes to packaging.

The bad.

There are no fish! Talked to many other people at the resort and heard the same story. Went all day with four people and we caught 2 fish in 6 hours of fishing. Went on a river drift fish all day and didn't even get a bite.

The halibut charters are a subcontractor to the resort and are out of Homer. It is 75 miles drive one way. Bottom line is it's a 10 hour day for 2 hours of fishing. The fishing is really fun and good. Rainbow charters is a great company and has great crews on their boats. Everyone got their 2 fish that averaged about 15 lbs. each. Got some nice filets to bring home.

Bottom line.

These people are all about the money. The entire trip felt adversarial. The staff was not friendly or accommodating. We asked to switch from salmon fishing to halibut and were told no way. Called the halibut charter company and they told us they had plenty of room. Had a member of our party that was not feeling well and we were scheduled for a 3 AM salmon charter (getting up at 2AM) after getting back from Homer at 9PM. They told us if we did not go we would have to forfeit the trip. We did not go. The folks that did caught nothing. The world famous Kenai river is in serious decline. If your a serious fisherman this area is not for you. Going back to Cabo next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Bayboy56
Reviewed 16 September 2012

hmmm it's a very *flexible* place i guess. The time of departure was confirmed one day before. And somehow i thought the day trip for silver salmon charter is deep ocean trip. Guess not. Basically we only spent 5 hours on two spots on the river, and the spots are just sorta part of the resort. But it costs 220 per person I guess. So the cost feels a bit ridiculous to me... it's just some baits and less than 5 minutes boat drive.
The guide is not good, he always told us things after things happened or toward the end. We lost two chances to catch silver salmon.
And since the day the river is filled with pink salmon, it's so hard to catch a silver one.
We had four people that day and got nothing which is really disappointing... and after it's done, no one greeted us when we were back, we just dropped the suits and that's it... no any thing to compensate for our sad feelings :( guess it doesn't welcome newbies like us?
Dunno.. it made me feel i wasted a precious day in Alaska there with doing nothing. Meh, I'm sure i won't go there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank JuliaPetite
Reviewed 13 July 2012

No matter how hard they try, you can't catch when there are no fish in the Kenia River. Upper Kenia was closed and they just opened lower Kenia the day we got there. From what we saw....or didn't see...very, very few are catching fish. The Russian River "combat fishing" grounds were bare. Every year, the numbers are diminishing. I realize they had a cold winter since there is still snow on the ground on the 4th of July and the salmon are not moving upstream. RW's did a good job setting up other trips but it could have been better. If you are planning this river for fishing, you may want to reconsider.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank She60_11
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My sister and I went up to RW's. Our guide Nate was the best. We were a bit early for the first run of Kings. But that is why it is called fishing not catching. But we still brought in two Kings and had the best time in the boat. Nate not only meet us with a smile he kept them on the whole day. If and when I can afford to go again we will. The memories my sister and I made on this trip will be with us for a lifetime. Thanks Nate, My sister is still smiling. Lori

Room Tip: All the condos are nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends