“When your looking for GOLD-peace, love and warmth, stay at Hatcher Pass B & B!”

Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Hatcher Pass B & B is at the bottom of road to Indepndence Mine State Historical Park or Hatcher Pass Management Area. Nestled in the quiet woods cabins await you need to get away to a refuge of comfort and peace. Liz Jackson, formally known as Lisbeth, has created cabins with a homey feel and a delicious breakfast that you can choose and cook in your in your very own well stocked kitchen. From the beauty of the meticulous constructed well lighted log cabins, to Afghan throws, to counting sheep beds, and comfortable furnishings, you WILL have and excellent homestead to explore this unique area. Your cabin is not only down the road from Independance Gold Mine, and doable mountain hikes, but also close to proximity to the towns of Palmer - Wasilla which grew due to the Colony Farm Project to support the industry of Alaskan farming in the Matinuska- Susitna River Valley. Tour a farm. Visit the Palmer Tourist Center, Colony Musuem, and gift shop. Small but way cool-watch film on farm families who moved to AK from MI. WI, & MN and their struggle to create these farms. Eat a home cooked meal at the Palmer Hotel or wet your whistle around the corner at the Palmer Bar. Oh by the way you will be HELD CAPTIVE by mountains for they will surround you in a civilized kinda way. STEP BACK IN TIME! SLOW DOWN! WATCH the mysterious wind swirl that spreads the sediment that makes this land so fertile. Clear skies, warm sunshine, jaw at the presene of Pioneer Peak, named after these brave pioneers of yesteryear. All this begins, at Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast. Give Lisbeth a call! If you rest as I did, I am sure you will have the energy to explore, maybe even climb the valley butte.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
HatcherPassLiz, Owner at Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

I love your writing and Review - many thanks for your kind words. If you are in need of a new career, consider being a travel writer! So positive, so descriptive and so kind - again many thanks!

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

The adorable little cabin was great...on the outside. Inside the space, intended for two, was cramped with the addition of a bunk bed! Hardly any room to move about. The refrigerator and cupboards were well stocked, but the counter space was too small to actually cook using a hot plate! The bed was very comfortable and a welcome sight after a long hike at Hatcher Pass. Sadly, the bathroom light was also the main cabin light, so my husband's early shower woke me up. The cabin is not secluded....it's a stone's throw to the main highway, so it's a bit noisy. The trees block any views.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
HatcherPassLiz, Owner at Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out you review of Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast. I am so sorry that you were in the cabin with the bunk beds - I usually try to put all couples in the cabins that have the futon instead of bunk beds. Families with children and the children's love of the bunk beds is what causes me to keep them - otherwise, you are so correct they take up too much room and making them is not my favorite chore!
Thank you again for your time here at Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast and your thoughtful review. If you are ever by this way again, I hope you will allow me to provide the cozy atmosphere both inside and outside of the cabins - and provide you a cabin with a couch/futon instead of the bunk beds.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

This was a difficult review as it was a tastefully outfitted little cabin with all that one would need for a stay. The hostess was very charming and if it had been a stay for just my husband and myself, I believe it would have been almost perfect. My husband called and the owner said she did have availability for 4 adults. Somehow she switched us to a cabin without the bunk beds, and a futon instead. These are very small cabins, smaller than a standard hotel room and really not adequate for 4 adults. She kindly charged only for 2 adults and my husband and I slept in our camper. These cabins are not set very far from the roadway and at an intersection so not as quiet as I had imagined they'd be. I don't mean this as a negative review but their location and size are drawbacks for otherwise lovely little cabins.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
HatcherPassLiz, Owner at Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out your thoughtful review. The sourdough (smaller) cabins are truly best suited for two guests, but are able to accommodate four guests with either a futon or a set of bunk beds in addition to the queen bed. The grande cabins are very suitable for two couples as they have two bedrooms.
Thank you again for your time and consideration of Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast. I do hope to see you again, when I can offer you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We stayed 5 nights, and used this a base camp for day trips into Palmer, Willow, Hatcher Pass, Denali Park, and Eagle River. The cabins literally had everything we needed, and the decorations were beautiful. The grounds were covered with beautiful flowers, and the fall colors were just beginning. Liz saw to it we were well stocked with breakfast foods, and made us feel very special. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
HatcherPassLiz, Owner at Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words about your time at Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast. The location really is perfect for day trips to many beautiful and incredible sights in Alaska.
I look forward to your return!
Many thanks again.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights right at the end of our road trip in Alaska. We thought it would be special. It wasn't ! The breakfast is a joke.You must cook it yourself. We were provided with exactly 8 eggs ( 2 each for 2 days) 2 bagels and 2 soggy english muffins, 2 containers of yogurt. There was a pancake mix you could mix up. 4 bags of juice you stick with a straw to suck up. All of this for 198.00 a night, not exactly giving the cabins away. What a joke.There wasn't a spot of personal touch...baked bread, jams, etc. You know the things you expect from a B&B. Their website says "away in the trees" Right....they are on the corner of 2 busy roads that are very noisy from 6AM to about 7:30AM. Across the street is a gas station and across the street from our cabin was a commercial garage. WOW..such ambience. The only reason I gave this two stars is because the cabin was just OK. Again with no personal touch. This is a sham , Oh and did I say it was $198.00 a day. I don't get the higher reviews, but i guess many people have low expectations and therefore are easily satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

My sincere apologies for your disappointment at the breakfast stocked in your cabin, and that you may have missed the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage, jam, coffee, tea, cereal, and oatmeal that was also stocked in your fridge or cupboard. I try to make sure everyone knows this is a CYOB style bed and breakfast, and I never advertise a fancy or special breakfast service. Rather I wish to accommodate independent travelers that want to eat what they want and when it is convenient for them.
Please forgive me if I forgot to ask you to call or come to the house if you needed anything. I typically let everyone that stays here to please let me know if they need anything or have any questions as well. I would have been happy to help fill that empty fridge!
Because of the wonderful recreational opportunities and natural beauty of Hatcher Pass we have experienced some growth in the area. This has caused some increase in traffic.
I am so sorry you were obviously disappointed in your time here, and I do wish I could make it up to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
17.6 km away
11.7 km away
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#5 of 13 in Palmer

Been to Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!