“Almost Only Game in Town”
Review of Colony Inn

Colony Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmer
Colony Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Pasadena, California
“Almost Only Game in Town”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Most people who visit the small town of Palmer most likely do so when in the area to view the great outdoors; however, I was in town on business, and was there after the tourists had left. When I arrived at the hotel, it seemed deserted, and did not even have a front desk. Luckily another guest arrived, and told me that I had to visit another hotel in town, which was a 2 minute drive away, to register and get a key. When I had called to make my reservations (the Inn does not have a web site or use email!) the person to whom I had spoken had not mentioned this. Once I registered, the room was similar to something you'd find in a B&B. I was on the ground floor, and that made me nervous, because anyone could have come in through the unscreened windows. There also is a second floor, but no elevator. Although the Inn has a restaurant, during the time of year that I was there, it was open only for Sunday brunch. I will be returning to Palmer, and most likely will stay at the Colony Inn again, because it is almost the only game in town.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
California
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Like other reviewers, we found this a charming and comfortable place to stay. It is a former residence for teachers of colonists who came to Alaska to start farming in the area during the Great Depression. Viewing an old picture book in the living room of the facility gave us a good idea of the project that brought immigrants from the upper Midwest of the USA to Alaska. A very attractive alternative to the usual motel or hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allan W
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We decided to stay in Palmer on our way from Denali to Matanuska Glacier. It's a convenient stop along the highway and is close to stunning scenery all around. It's also fairly close to Anchorage, which is where we headed next.

Palmer is a charming little town that feels like Mayberry RFD. The Colony Inn delivers historical charm and is situated in the center of the old part of town. We walked all around and picked up some food at the very nearby supermarket. The Colony Inn is not a B&B, but there is a coffeemaker (with coffee & filters) and microwave in the hallway and there's a fridge in your room so it's all very convenient for snacks and a continental breakfast. They have a common area with tables & chairs downstairs. The restaurant wasn't open during our stay--it only served Sunday brunch (probably opens more during the summer high season?). The room itself is comfortable; like staying at your aunt's house. Our heater was broken, so it was 95° in our room. They responded to our call immediately and just turned the unit off altogether, which turned out fine. Bring eyeshades if you're sensitive to light -- the sun doesn't set until after bedtime. We enjoyed our stay and had a restful night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Soldotna, AK
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I think Palmer is one of the most undervalued cities in Alaska. I pop up there occasionally to take yoga and dance classes and for the fabulous, accessible hiking. I booked a room at the Colony Inn without knowing anything about it and what a wonderful surprise! Charming room full of antiques and within walking distance of Palmer's wonderful restaurants and shops. Also close to the public library if you need internet access.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This was a neat place to stay. It was originally a teachers dorm. Rooms are nice and clean. There is no staff here, they are located in another hotel a few blocks from the Colony Inn. I liked the history of the place. There was a washer and dryer, free of charge, and lots of books on the area in the large sitting room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
20.0 km away
Eagle Hotel
#9 of 12 in Palmer
13.5 km away
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Colony Inn? Share your experiences!