All reviews definitely stay here again fort seward a wonderful stay its charm lynn canal ferry terminal beds were very comfortable front porch great spot other guests yogurt stayed two nights the owner jj ft town linens
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We stayed two nights with our two young children and were thoroughly welcomed and accommodated. The highlights for us were the amazing breakfasts and time spent in the cozy kitchen with the inn keeper, who was kind and accommodating to our kids. The house was clean and well equipped, with very comfortable beds. This is not a modern house, but this is part of its charm and we wouldn't have changed a thing. The location is also quite something; scenic, historic and close to both great hikes and shops. We will definitely be returning to Haines and will make every effort to stay at House No. 1.

Room Tip: Upstairs offers greater privacy. The room adjacent to the kitchen would not be suitable for non-early risers.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The location of House No. 1 cannot be beat. The B&B is one of the original houses of Fort Seward and has a great spot on a hill overlooking the parade grounds and Chilkoot Inlet. The fort complex is a great place to explore by foot, too.

The highlight of my stay was the breakfast. With advance notice, Ali was (and is) able to accommodate pescatarians and vegetarians, and prepared a vegetable omelette in the style of a Spanish omelette but without the potatoes. It was delicious! Additional breakfast items included toast, a homemade pudding dish, baby gold potatoes with herbs, assorted juices, and coffee to boot!

My only regret booking this place was not staying for longer.

Room Tip: Room 4 has the best views in the house.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Ali D, Innkeeper at House No. 1 Fort Seward B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thanks so much for you kind words! Great to know you enjoyed your Haines visit. I'm always happy to accommodate restricted diets at House No.1: it keeps me on my toes in the breakfast kitchen :-) Best Wishes, Ali

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We stayed at the House No. 1 B&B in Haynes, Alaska. The B&B is a historic home on a slight hill overlooking the breathtaking harbor. The area where the B&B is located is very picturesque and probably the best place to stay in Haynes. The owner purchased the home last year and has been renovating it. The home is quite beautiful with high ceilings, large windows and beautiful hardwood floors. We met both the owner and innkeeper. Both were welcoming and helpful with suggestions about where to eat and making sure that all of our needs were met.

I was traveling with my 20-year old son, and my 23 and 27-year-old daughters. We stayed in the two guest rooms on the first floor which have a shared bath. The bedrooms are quite large, one extremely large. The beds were very comfortable with crisp clean linens. The bathroom is recently renovated and spacious. Towels were plentiful.

For breakfast, which is included in the rate, we had a choice of a continental breakfast and/or hot breakfast, which on this date consisted of egg frittata, wonderful breakfast sausages and bacon, as well as toast, Danish, yogurt with fruit, juice and coffee. The table was set beautifully by the way. All of this was prepared by the innkeeper. We were very pleased with everything about the B&B and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I suspect that all rooms are nice in this B&B
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

So happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to hosting you again at House No.1 :-) Ali

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Paddy the host made my visit quite enjoyable and the accommodations and cleanliness were superb. The view from the front porch was breathtaking. My one short day there I was fortunate to see brown bears feeding on salmon nearby. One month of travels in Alaska and I'd have to say Haines is right at the top of my list.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Ali D, Innkeeper at House No. 1 Fort Seward B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Happy to have your vote of confidence for our housekeeping standards. Thank you! Great that you were able to catch a glimpse of the local Bruins out by Chilkoot Lake; they really are fantastic to watch at this time of year :-) Best Regards, Ali

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at this charming B&B. The 1904 house is being restored and renovated to it's glory days. It was the surgeon's house while Ft. Seward was active. Great view of the canal. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The owner & innkeeper are very welcoming and helpful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan A

Thanks Susan! It was a pleasure to host you :-)