“You never know what you will see” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 114 things to do in San Jose
San José
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“You never know what you will see”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

It is a very nice place to take the kids, it has lots of different and interesting cultural and cientific activities. I remember when I was younger that there was a very simple machine that you activated with a lever that went round and round, and with the force of the human arm made electricity. All the kids gathered around in a circle, holding their hands, to feel the electricity run through.

If you are not a kid, there are always very interesting expositions. Once I went to one that was part of the Art City Tour San José. We all started feeling nostalgic about our childhood, and remembered when we had come to the Museum, when we were small. We toured the large galleries. Just after we came inside the art gallery, a sweet lady invited us to see her show, made of "needle and thread and fabric," as she explained. María del Rocío Ajun. Her works were of woven cloth, Latin America and the memories of Tibet and Costa Rica. The materials of her expositions were old clothes, recycled fabric, pieces of furniture lining. It was the famous quilting technique, and she was a master. All those clothes and things had existed for who knows how long and now she returned them to us, turned into an idea, into art. There was a piece about the earthquake in Japan which was very sensitive, and she kindly explained the intellectual and material process of each of the works exposed. She was, for me, the best of the artists I saw that day on the Museum.

Then we went to the gallery of a thin gentleman from abroad, named Luke. Esoteric sculptures made of iron, very interesting (maybe) from a corporate standpoint, but frankly I did not like them. Some of his proposals were interesting from an intellectual point of view, but they suffered from lack of spirit. Furthermore, the fact that all the pieces of his art were giant hulks of industrial steel seemed unbearable.

Then we discovered that there was wine. It was on a table in the center of the galleries, upstairs. We had a drink and suddenly we were looking at some acrylic paintings of astral travel, from one Gordonii guy. And Gordonii (one of those tico painters with a foreign name, but with tico accent) approached us and invited us to try to feel his trip, he challenged us to go inside the world of meditation to get close to his dream of spidery heightened perception. I, sneaking about, emptied the half empty wine glasses I found around, as he told us about how the mollusk he painted had eaten an entire galaxy.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Not a lot of stuff for toddlers and the rest ain't working, needs maintenance

Visited December 2011
Ithaca
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“AWESOME PLACE TO GO WITH KIDS OF ALL AGES”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

This place is huge. It's actually built in an old prison. We did not see it all. It had so much to do. There was actual trapeze in the middle of it and kids could wait to have a turn. There are trains to see, science exhibits, an archaeology dig, and more. The only challenges are limited food options (pizza and junk) and it is hard to get to. We took a taxi, which was good because parking looked pretty crazy.

Visited July 2011
Provo, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a great learning experience and so much fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I originally went here 12 plus years ago with a university group. So I can't help but bring my kids to enjoy the fun. As far as Children's Museums I have been to, I would rate this #2 only slightly falling behind Houston's Children's museum. pretty much everything is hands on. It is an old prison that when Costa Rica disbanded their army they closed it down and made it into a museum for the education of their children. They have a helicopter and planes, tehy have trains and a whole bubble center, They have a recording studio and reptiles and amphibians, they tell the Costa Rican history and much more. Definitely worth your wild even if your just a kid at heart and don't have any children.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank oromia
San Jose, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Muy Bueno Nice place for learning at all ages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Nice place for the family. Has English and Spanish speaking people and events.

Visited October 2010