1,940 results
All reviewsbeautiful hotelgarden suitevictorian mansionrooftop jacuzzione nightcosta ricaboutique hotellast nightopen courtyardan oasisbeautiful roomfamily suitenext morningstandard roomwould highly recommend this hotelsmall hotellong flight
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I think there are no real five star hotels in Costa Rica. Basically big chain hotels can be found like Marriot or Intercontinental, but of course, no flavor can be found in those. Luckily for tourist, Grano de Oro can enhance the experience of San José City. Although San José is the simplest part of magnificent Costa Rica, is a mandatory stop at arrival and for many, at depature. Also, is the best to try local food, as many of the places are flooded with restaurants to please the ones who look for American or Tex-Mex food.
Grano de Oro, then, is a boutique four star hotel with local flavor and attentive staff. Lobby is small but calmed, with computers for guests to use. At arrival we were greeted with a delicious juice fruit. Our room wasn’t ready, but it was more a fault of our tour operator than the hotel. As we had to leave early next day, we requested breakfast the they before and were willing to help us. It was not that early for a box lunch, but early enough to have it ready at 7:05 (restaurant opens at 7:00am). Actually it was delicious.
The room has personality and convenient facilities. I think that the shower could benefit for more water pressure and improve with better amenities. However, a dispenser in the bathroom seems a common practice in Costa Rica. The Bed is comfortable and linens are good. The décor is unique. I suggest checking noise isolation, as sometimes some things from the corridors can be heard. They have Britt coffee (good) for the morning.
When we go back to San José I would like to stay at Grano de Oro again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bbffpp
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The tour company put us up in Hotel Grano our first night and last night in Costa Rica and it was equally beautiful both times. The rooms were elegant, clean, and luxurious. The staff was friendly and informative. The restaurant was expensive and a little pretentious but the food and service was very good. I appreciated that when my boyfriend arrived later than I (different flights into the country), the front desk called me to verify his identity before bringing him to the room. An excellent start and finish for our trip to Costa Rica!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I was planning a trip for my husband and I - and we needed to spend one night in San Jose before starting our vacation at Arenas del Mar in Quepos area...I emailed Grano de Oro and they were so easy to correspond with...and they even helped me with a transfer from the airport to the hotel...when we got off of our flight from the US....and entered the San Jose airport...there was a person holding a sign with our name waiting for us! Very nice to have that all figured out ahead of time! I will say that the one night stay was very pricey - and since we arrived late at night we didn't get a chance to fully explore the hotel. The hotel was beautiful and classy though! We had a really nice room with a patio area...and we did have a late dinner at the restaurant...I would say it was just "good" food...not extraordinary. But the comfort of having the beautiful hotel and that we didn't have to venture out to try and find a late night dinner in a city that we aren't familiar with...made this a great stay. The hotel staff was very nice too...I would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This hotel was our stop flying in and out of Costa Rica. It provided exactly what we wanted. A quiet and clean place to rest. Staff were attentive and friendly. Rooms are comfortable. We did not have time to explore any sites near the hotel but the hotel is small and charming. Good place to try "Tico" breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you wish to simply rest. You will need help carrying your luggage and staff is very willing to assist.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank traveltoexperience
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Great hotel, friendly staff, fantastic food, amazingly clean!!!
The San Jose itself is not the most exciting place i have ever been to, but the hotel is one of the best i have ever stayed at. Very traditional, the restaurant is a little on the expensive side but food well worth the price.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family