Balmoral Hotel
USD 84*
USD 96*
USD 82*
Bookit.com
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
USD 107*
USD 92*
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Cocoon Hotel(San Jose)(Great Value!)
USD 43*
USD 39*
  • Breakfast included
USD 91*
USD 88*
1,479 results
All reviewsel patioroad scholarcosta ricagold museumparking garagecentral locationpedestrian streetnice hotelheart of downtown san josefree callsbreakfast buffetmini barwalking distancefront desk staffsuperior roomnational theatredowntown area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed here in November. We were upgraded at check in and they accommodated us to stay in the same room although our two-night stay was under two different reservations. The location is convenient if you want to walk around and check out the city. The restaurant though is just ok. Room was very clean and nice. Overall, I'd stay there again if I needed to stay downtown San Jose.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I stayed 16 nights at The Balmoral in San Jose on Central Ave., between 7th and 9th St. This is my first time making a comment on TripAdvisor and I must because I enjoyed staying at the hotel so much. Marianella Rodriguez at reservations, Daniel Sanchez the concierge, Marlen Gouzalez my maid and Roy Hernandez in the restaurant were all patient and all worked very hard to satisfy me. Everyone on the staff was professional at the least, and my interactions with them was wonderful even though I don't speak Spanish. The restaurant has been newly remodeled and perhaps has the best ambiance of any in San Jose. The lunch time crowd is an interesting mix of professional Ticos in suits and hotel guests. There is a pedestrian walk outside the hotel that I enjoyed walking at night and it was totally safe, police were walking the crowd and I never saw a commotion, not even a menacing look. It was a great place to people watch and see Ticos eating ice cream and relaxing in their numerous public squares. I am a business traveler so I am critical, this hotel is tops, I can't wait to take a vacation here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mark b
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Balmoral Hotel, San Jose, Costa Rica, La Ciudad de Pura Vida.

Our airport taxi drove close to Avenida Central, in the vibrant city of San Jose, a pedestrian boulevard packed with adults & children eating, drinking, singing & clapping to a local sing-along band, artists sketching, the night dining scene were lines waiting for seats for restaurants. He pulled into the Hotel Balmoral driveway, young well dressed women were entering the lobby clapping.

A sign on the elevator, "Friday Night Live Band", followed the crowd to a standing room only, hip-swiveling Meringue Band in the Bar. Made our way to El Patio del Balmoral, all the seats were taken, a table for two was created for us next to "The Pizza Maker" & Oven, got a complimentary lesson, while sipping our "Guaro", an unrefined clear liquor made from sugar cane, the shot followed a bite into a fresh lime covered with salt and washed down with pineapple juice, while waitng for our Arroz con Pollo and Shrimp Shish Kebab with gallo pinto & bowls of salsa.

Computers in the hallway are complimentary for guest use, clean and comfortable room, staff spoke very good English and accomodated all our request. Breakfast was scrumptious, cereals & fruit juices, croissants & breads with butter and guava jam. Gallo pinto, their black beans & rice with two fried eggs, hash browns & sausages. Fruit slices of watermelon, pineapple, papaya & cafe-con-leche.

San Jose volando, 'La Guia Urbana" has a San Jose Culture & Entertainment Map featuring cultural spaces, museums, galleries, theatres & stages. Coffee shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, shops, sites & monuments.
Casa 927, Avenita 11 at Calle 3, a 1940 white Neoclassical house in Barrio Amon, Latin American Artists showcase their Crafts, an Art Gallery & "Cafe El Patio" a 50 seat cafe, serving local cusine and "Coffee Sanchez".

Gran Hotel Costa Rica, 1930 Patrimonio Historico's open air patio serve lunch, a live Pianist played from 12.30 - 2pm. Chef Special Sea Bass & Shrimp in a cream sauce followed by chocolate cake was delightful. Coffee was served at the table in a "Chorreador de Cafe" http://www.chorreador.com very impressed by this presentation, we headed for the Mercado Central to buy two of them.

Galleria Namu, Avenita 7 between Calles 5 & 7 has quality Arts & high-end Indigenous Works from various Tribes & Artisans that are difficult to resist for our home & office. Roadside stalls at every Calle corner are: "A Cornucopia Postcard of Tropical Fruits".

Room Tip: If all the rooms were like mine, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed here November 19th and November 29th -December 2nd. In both instances they gave us an upgraded room. We loved the morning breakfasts !. Made to order omelets, fresh fruit and juice. The dinner menu was also ample and we had two good evening meals .
We had good interaction with the hotel staff. Only disappointment was the two hotel guess PC's didn't always have internet access.
In summary, we really enjoyed our time here and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Any high room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Oct 25- This hotel is horrible and rude staff. We booked this through a travel company as a package - 2 nights at this hotel and 4 nights in Arenal/Monteverde. We were to be staying at the Balmoral our first and last night of the package. When we arrived to check in- I didn't have my voucher, and that seemed to be an issue- even though I confirmed twice with the hotel directly about our reservation. The staff, not being helpful at all, said we need to get into our email and foward the pdf file with the voucher before we get the room key. While we attemted to get into my email via there wifi, I was having problems accessing it on my phone. We were doing this all while standing at the front counter. My travel companion then accessed my email on his cell phone and we then sent the file to the 4 times. They then printed out the file and showed me the voucher by shoving it in my face. This was completely uncalled for. I knew at that minute, we would NOT stay at this hotel our last night.
Once we got our key, which didn't work and the bellman and to go back to front desk. The heat in the room didn't work. Fire doors were left open- The breakfast was way way below par- even though it was on a steam table, everything was cold.
When we checked out the following morning, the staff was rude and demanded we wait to check and see if we took anything from a minibar! What ?? I couldn't be bothered with them and I left. Warning- Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends