All reviews national museum costa rica recommend this hotel trains start buffet style close to the city center no elevator charming hotel bars and restaurants walking distance light sleeper breakfast was included hot water common areas staying in san jose horn mercado
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I spent 3 weeks in Costa Rica, staying in different hostels, hotels and lodges. Hotel Fleur de Lys was my last stop before going back home. This may not be a perfect place if you care about the noise from the nearby train station as the horn from trains will wake you up in early morning (On Sunday there will not have any train so for Sunday morning it's fine).

It is a wooden, Victorian style building, so there's no elevator but wooden stairs. Don't be scared away, it's not a tall, modern building anyway.

I like the way they named the rooms, not with numbers but with hearty names of flowers that could be seen in Costa Rica.

Room is not big (at least mine was not big), but clean. There was no TV signal in my room ( I didn't ask the hotel people to help checking, as I didn't actually need a TV).

Front desk people were helpful and nice. They spoke fluent Spanish and English.

I like the bar, small but cozy. The bar tender was nice and we had a good chat.

Breakfast was included (I booked via booking.com), you would have continental breakfast or Tico's breakfast (buffet style anyway, so just pick what you want, and I always pick the Pinto during my stay in Costa Rica).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank 6selenel
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Don't ever go to this hotel. You get a closet in stead of a room. There is no window and no fresh air. Avoid this hotel! It is better to sleep outside in the open air. The staff is also unprofessional.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Fleur L, Gerente at Hotel Fleur de Lys, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Guest, unfortunately we don’t have any track of your visit in our hotel and we are afraid you place this comment by mistake since this happened sometimes. All our rooms have windows and fresh air, the most economic standard rooms have a standard hotel room measure of 26 M2. Our staff at the front desk, bar and restaurant speak English and our front desk is at your service 24 hours for any assistance. We are proud to believe, live and being trained in the personalized attentive service, so we feel very disappointed of not having track of your stay, or any guest in the past weeks that has bring to our attention any concern like yours with the service or the room, so we could give you to a room of your satisfaction or clear any situation. But if you stayed here, you didn’t give us any chance, and I am sorry about this. I am the operation manager, myself and the owners look forward to receive a mail from you either is your score our hotel by mistake or to let us know what could possibly be your concern in order to fix it. Best regards

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

I only spent one night in this lovely looking hotel. Friendly and helpful staff and not too bad restaurant. Rooms are small in this all wooden place and there is a fan but no airco. Conveniently located to city centre but too close to railroad. Horn is too loud and you can feel the vibration. Reviews like this kill this place but one should be able to get a night's sleep.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Fleur L, Gerente at Hotel Fleur de Lys, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear guest: thank you . Unfortunately, train service is part of this city and during special events the train can run up to two hours later that usually. I am afraid and sorry during your stay it might be one of those nights. I wish you contacted me to move you to the other side of the hotel that is more quite and we do have available ear plugs for the train service hours that could be from 7 am to 7 pm. We are glad to hear our staff are making a good job. Please contact us to make sure you got a quiet room in your next stay.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

We have a beautiful, spacious room, and the overall ambience of this hotel couldn't be better. There are common areas with couches and beautiful decor around the stairwells and hallways at every level. The staff at the desk in the lobby speak excellent English and are ready to help in every way. The barman was quick with our welcome smoothie. The hotel is within walking distance of every place we wanted to go in town. We love the music from the bar downstairs and from the town that we hear in our room early this evening. It could be noisier than usual because San Jose has an Arts Festival this weekend. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Jose.

Room Tip: I believe any room would be beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear guest: We appreciate every comment but overall comments like yours made with kindness and in such constructive and motivating way, thank you very much. The international Arts Festival, welcomes more that 200 artist and art expressions from all over the world and we are lucky this year that the main location is across our street, we are glad you take the opportunity to enjoy some of this magnificent activities. The management and all the team we put our effort in provide the best service and ambiance for our guest and we are happy and thankfull that you appreciate and enjoy it. We hope to welcome again and we promise keep improving every day.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

This hotel is well located near the artisans market and the National Museum. Service is excellent and the rooms clean.
On the downside, the rooms are Ok but need to be refunished. Furniture is dated and the bathroom sink/shower need to be replaced. Water temperature was random.
There's a tramway line close to the hotel but it's not a big noise problem.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Dear guest: thank you for writing about our hotel, every comment makes us improve every day. We are renovating all our rooms, this process started last year and hopefully will be finish by December 2017, we hope you can come back and enjoy the improvement in a near future. We are glad you enjoy our strategic location right in the cultural hearth of the city of San Jose. We use solar system to heat all our water and normally we never have temperature problems, but we have take note to check this out and couldn’t find anything in any room, so we think it wasn’t enough time to allow the water emerge or a faucet handling issue. Hope to see you on your next trip to Costa Rica.