All reviews costa rica hotel is located place to stay safe area rice and beans spanish downtown curtains
Reviewed 1 April 2017

I was greeted by the owner with the accusation that I didn't make a reservation, even though I did and have a confirmation. He insinuated that I was complaining (though I hadn't) and said I could go elsewhere if I liked. There was no AC, they had left the drapes open to let in the afternoon sun, and the room was stiflingly hot though did cool down in the evening. There was mold in the shower and it drained slowly. I was made to feel unwelcome. El gerente dijo que yo no tuve reservacion, aunque la hici. Me dijo que pudiera salir por otro hotel aunque yo no dije nada de queja. El cuarto fue muy caliente, sin AC. Hubo hongo en la regadera y el agua se cayo muy despacio. There is a bar, but it wasn't in service. I was told I could go to the corner where there were restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room with a window that faces the front since the afternoon sun makes it stiflingly hot and there is no AC.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Hotel Casa C, General Manager at Hotel Casa Cambranes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2017

Ms. Knapp never showed us the confirmation even though she claimed she had a reservation. We receive many reservations from many sources around the world and her name was never in our system. She didn't want to pay for the room at that time because she wanted to wait until the next day so we could search all over the world for somebody who made her reservation through an 800 number supposedly. We told her that we had to charge her if she wanted to stay, like in any other hotel in the world. She then pay. We gave her a single room on the second floor with a window overlooking the mountains. She never said anything bad about the room or it's cleanliness. About the mold that she claims there was in the bathroom, it is not true since we clean and desinfect our bathrooms everyday. TripAdvisor shows very clearly that our rooms don't have air conditioning. The temperature in San Jose is pleasant enough that most of the hotels don't have A/C. When Ms. Knapp was checking out the next morning, she was offered breakfast, but she only wanted coffee because she had to leave very soon. We went to check the room while she was having coffee, as we always do when somebody checks out, and we found out that she had been smoking in the room, which is something against the law (ley 9028) and against our rules (we have signs posted in each one of the rooms as well in the different areas of the hotel indicating this). We told her that she had broken the law and the hotel rules by smoking in the room in what she responded that she had smoked only in the bathroom. She stood up and left immediately when confronted about this issue. She seemed very upset and she said that she would never stayed at this hotel again. Because of the smoking in the room and the bad smell that this coused we had to pull down the courtins and clean the walls and the ceiling of the room to get the smell out since we had to rent the room the next day. This is costing us extra money that she, off course, won't pay. This is the first time that we have had a guest of this kind that, not even having a reservation, comes to our hotel with a bad attitude and not giving us the opportunity to show her our hospitality. We believe that she had a reservation somewhere else and she came to our hotel by mistake because at the beginning, when she first came in, she said that she had never heard of our hotel before. Then, how can she claim she had a reservation with us?

Reviewed 31 March 2017

The hosts at Casa Cambranes are wonderful and made us feel very welcome, even offering their cell phone while in the city. The room was clean and the breakfast delicious. They helped with travel tips and arranged transportation for us when we left. Thank yo Carlos and Naty for making us feel so at home on our first night in Costa Rica.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mosaicpickle
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The managers of the hotel took an interest in being as helpful as possible. Nothing was too much trouble. They suggested ideas of highlights of the city and knew who to call immediately! We were very pleased with the breakfasts each morning, freshly prepared and typical Costa Rican. Exactly what we were looking for. The rooms were clean and spare which worked out well with luggage and all. The shower water had a way of getting out onto the floor, but we handled it after the first time it happened. Overall,we felt comfortable and secure.

Room Tip: I was concerned about the street noise since the windows are open, but there was never any noise that was an impact on being able to sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2017

I traveled to Costa Rica alone for ten days, going way outside my comfort zone. The hotel is very charming, clean, and in a great location..within a 5-10 minute walk of many other stores and restaurants, including the San Pedro Mall. The museums of downtown San Jose are a short bus ride or a 30 minute walk away. I chose Hotel Casa Cambranes mainly due to the glowing reviews of Carlos and Nati, the managers of the property. The reviews were very accurate.

These were two of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. We emailed several times before I even left the U.S. Upon my late night arrival, they gave me a very warm welcome, and took time to get to know me as well as sharing stories about themselves. They took great care of me during my entire stay. I was given a phone to contact them in case I got lost, and enough colones to take the bus before I had a chance to exchange my cash. Carlos even walked me over to the mall to show me where the gym was!

Every single need was met immediately with a great deal of professionalism, charm, and grace. My girlfriend joined me for a few days during my stay, and she was also made to feel very welcome. In fact, my stay felt more like home than anything. "Over and above" does not begin to describe their level of service. Whether you are a family or traveling solo, and whatever your mastery of Spanish is, Carlos and Nati will make you feel very comfortable. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2017

Casa Cambranes is located in the suburb of San Pedro, close to a big mall. While slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown San Jose, it's only 25 minutes walk ti the centre. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Their recommendations (best place to change money, places to eat and shop nearby, etc) were on the spot. I highly recommend this place for visitors who are looking for affordable accommodation in San Jose

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo