All reviews costa rica hotel is located place to stay safe area rice and beans downtown curtains
Reviewed 31 March 2017

The hosts at Casa Cambranes are wonderful and made us feel very welcome, even offering their cell phone while in the city. The room was clean and the breakfast delicious. They helped with travel tips and arranged transportation for us when we left. Thank yo Carlos and Naty for making us feel so at home on our first night in Costa Rica.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mosaicpickle
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The managers of the hotel took an interest in being as helpful as possible. Nothing was too much trouble. They suggested ideas of highlights of the city and knew who to call immediately! We were very pleased with the breakfasts each morning, freshly prepared and typical Costa Rican. Exactly what we were looking for. The rooms were clean and spare which worked out well with luggage and all. The shower water had a way of getting out onto the floor, but we handled it after the first time it happened. Overall,we felt comfortable and secure.

Room Tip: I was concerned about the street noise since the windows are open, but there was never any noise that was an impact on being able to sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2017

I traveled to Costa Rica alone for ten days, going way outside my comfort zone. The hotel is very charming, clean, and in a great location..within a 5-10 minute walk of many other stores and restaurants, including the San Pedro Mall. The museums of downtown San Jose are a short bus ride or a 30 minute walk away. I chose Hotel Casa Cambranes mainly due to the glowing reviews of Carlos and Nati, the managers of the property. The reviews were very accurate.

These were two of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. We emailed several times before I even left the U.S. Upon my late night arrival, they gave me a very warm welcome, and took time to get to know me as well as sharing stories about themselves. They took great care of me during my entire stay. I was given a phone to contact them in case I got lost, and enough colones to take the bus before I had a chance to exchange my cash. Carlos even walked me over to the mall to show me where the gym was!

Every single need was met immediately with a great deal of professionalism, charm, and grace. My girlfriend joined me for a few days during my stay, and she was also made to feel very welcome. In fact, my stay felt more like home than anything. "Over and above" does not begin to describe their level of service. Whether you are a family or traveling solo, and whatever your mastery of Spanish is, Carlos and Nati will make you feel very comfortable. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2017

Casa Cambranes is located in the suburb of San Pedro, close to a big mall. While slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown San Jose, it's only 25 minutes walk ti the centre. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Their recommendations (best place to change money, places to eat and shop nearby, etc) were on the spot. I highly recommend this place for visitors who are looking for affordable accommodation in San Jose

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

On arrival from the airport at the hotel we were immediately met with the warmest of welcomes from the hosts Nathalie and Carlos and of course Marvin the cat! Carlos is a wealth of knowledge about Costa Rica and freely spends his time researching things on your behalf including hunting down the cheapest car hire rates available. The rooms are just fine for their purpose and are clean with nice toiletries. Breakfast is a delight with fresh fruit followed by something cooked. In our case that was tasty omelettes one day and pancakes with sausage and scrambled eggs on the other. Marvin the cat is a source of constant entertainment when in the lobby area. Carlos has insisted we stay in touch if we need during our stay. In terms of location it's a half hours walk from the centre of a five minute bus ride. Uber taxis abound as well. There are local bars and food places too. In summary, a great place to start your stay in Costa Rica with the warmest hosts imaginable. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple