See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 November 2015

There are a lot of reviews on here about how fabulous the upper level rooms and the views are, but I wanted to make sure the four (from what I could tell) interior rooms were represented, because ours was really unsavory. We stayed here on our last night in Costa Rica as we had a morning flight and were coming from the northwest Pacific coast the day before. It was well-located with respect to SJO airport, and was one of the only reasons I would really say you should stay here.

I agree with the other reviewer who said this place looked like a fortress! Between the bizarre steel garage wall and the fact that the lawn hadn’t been mowed in weeks, we drove past it twice. Thankfully we noticed the Taj Mahal restaurant across the street which lead us to conclude that despite having almost no sign (we saw it later at night when it was lit up) yes, this was indeed the place.

I don’t know how they would fit more than two cars in their parking area, so I would suggest that you call ahead and check to see if the parking is expected to be available. They said we could have parked on the lawn, but even that would only have fit one or maybe two other cars.

Our room, which was in the main building where breakfast is served, was just bad. It was dark – SO dark in there! There was only one overhead light and the room was sort of below grade, so it had the look and feel of a basement. It was big, but not very clean. It did not look like it had been swept and was generally dusty (think cobwebs in the corners). The couch, which I think was big enough to pull out or have a third person sleep on, was something I did not even want to put my luggage on. Overall the room had the look of a very bad hot plate hotel.

The bathroom was big, and much better than the room itself, with two sinks, a huge tub, and a large separate shower. It was interestingly designed. You could tell they cut corners (definitely DIY-ed) but it was also creative, which we kind of liked. The sink was literally made of plywood.

Breakfast was ok, but we were not used to having to pick between fruit and eggs. Every other place we stayed at during the week had a buffet and offered both. For that, I have to say this was the worst breakfast my husband and I had all week. Although it was tasty and the woman cooking it was VERY nice (she helped us select the best route the airport during morning traffic, which we really appreciated). We really just wanted both eggs and fruit and couldn’t have that. Boo. :/

As this room was on the expensive side compared to others we stayed in during the week, we would probably not stay here again unless we were desperate and yet again needed a place to stay before a morning flight. If so, we would really push for one of the upper rooms people are raving about!

Room Tip: Do not book a room in the main building unless you are very desperate.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2015

This bed and breakfast has an excellent view of San Jose and everyone there is very friendly. The manager speaks excellent English and will always greet you with a smile! I have stayed there 3 times and plan on going back!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2015

Dear Dswheeler,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Out Of Bounds Hotel. It is always an encouragement to receive such positive feedback and that you enjoyed a hassle free experience. We are happy you like mountain view, customer service here and other important things.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another stay.

Reviewed 27 August 2015

I was in Escazu to visit friends, and chose this hotel based on price and TA reviews. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Registration was simple and quick, the room was clean, comfortable, and with a nice view, and the hotel was very quiet while I was there. The service was very friendly and professional, even when I had to wake him up at 1130 at night to explain the garage door was no longer working. He just let me know he would take care of it, and it was all good! Breakfast was simple but tasty. I appreciated that the internet was great, and the water in the shower was hot.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if available, the views are beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2015

Dear Jim,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location of the hotel was ideal for you. We are very pleased to be in such a lovely part of Escazu, San Jose, that has many attractions and facilities nearby.

It is wonderful that you felt your room was very nice and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Terrace during your stay. Your comment that the staff are attentive is equally most appreciated. I will ensure that this positive feedback is shared with the team as they will be highly grateful.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 20 August 2015

Quite good during the 4th of July Weekend. TIL that the expats in Escazu have had a fireworks display for the past 50 years. The show from the balcony of the Out of Bounds Hotel was a full on blast of explosive colors and booming sounds.
Breakfast is basic but plentiful. More important, the yummy coffee was available at will. Great place to stay. Laundry service is also available. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Not much of a closet but its a small thing. TV works, did not see much of the tube.
Note: The Taj Mahal catty corner to the Out of Bounds Hotel has Amazing fare.

Room Tip: Private limited parking in available inside, off the street if needed, on a first come first served basis.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2015

Dear guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

As a much valued guest I am thrilled that after all this time, you still think about your stay and the wonderful time you enjoyed with us. It is lovely to know that you found the rooms, the city, location Escazu, and breakfast to be perfection.

Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back one day soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 21 July 2015

We dropped in around 4pm on a Sunday and the person working didn't seem to know if they had rooms available and seemed uninterested in helping us until we said we needed two rooms. He showed us the rooms and told us the price and when we agreed he then gave us keys and sent us on up to the rooms. The keys were for a different room than he showed us and it only had one bed when we needed at least two double beds in one of the rooms for two adults and two small children. We went back down and told him, to which he said the larger room wasn't available. The he said it would cost more but still wouldn't commit to it being available. So we collected our group of 6 people up and were going to leave but they decided that we could have the larger room (as well as the regular room) for an additional $10. We agreed and moved back in. The rooms are OK, comfortable beds, good hot shower. The floor was so noisy to walk across that when anyone got up to use the bathroom everyone woke up. The towels smelt musty and unused and the tissue box had just one tissue in it. The coffee creamer was sold old it was solid! The breakfast was average and definitely nothing to get excited about and even lacked a glass of juice. When I went to check out and pay extra for the fruit, the minibar and the $10 extra for the room, the guy in the reception tried to tell me I had to pay more cos they didn't know we had four adults and two kids. I have no idea who he thought was in the second room that we had paid for, seeing that he had seen us the night before with our children and my parents and that was why we had needed one bigger room. The place has gone seriously down hill since the previous owners sold it and has lost its ambience and soul. The whole place looks boring and uninteresting. The only plus side is that it has a great Indian restaurant right across the road and its not expensive for the area.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

We regret that your stay was unfortunate. Especially the confusion about the room and some courtesies offered by the hotel.
Good afternoon,

Our goal is to provide excellent service to all guests attending the concerns immediately, for this reason the front Office manager is living in the Hotel giving solutions to the guest complaints.
More than a hundred good reviews in the last year, demonstrating the satisfaction of our visitors. For this reason when we have a dissatisfied customer and we care immediately to check our services and correct whatever is necessary.
Moreover subjective assessment of the client are not well received, being a product of the same discomfort.
For us it would be a privilege to meet you again, to provide our good services and compensate this negative experience.

Regards,