“Excellent food and service ”

Sofia Restaurante Mediterraneo Arte & Cultura
Price range: USD 6 - USD 48
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Mediterranean is our reason of being, with a wider concept that doesn't only include the food but also the health, the arts, the conversations and the friendships that are born in our table. Our influences come from the culinary and culturally richness of 22 Mediterranean countries.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Can’t beat this Mediterranean restaurant if you’re looking for authentic food and flavors.
Must try the mixed platter, the tortellini, the squid, and the tuna.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

The place is nice and cozy. AC will help to make the stay more pleasant. A complementary salad is a nice touch. The list of wines is limited. We had the stuffed eggplants and the sea food grill. The food was not very tasty. We were not impressed by the management of species. The eggplant does not have basmati rice as the menu indicates. It is pricy for the quality of the food.

The service is ok. A bit slow.

1  Thank MLGG2000
Reviewed 26 February 2018

While on a reasonably long layover in San Jose, we needed to NOT be in an airport. We heard Barrio Escalante, specifically Calle 33 & Avenida Central would be an area that fit the vibe we usually search for.
We stopped at Sofia on a whim, hearing live music and seeing that it was open, took credit cards, and had wine on the menu.
This place was super charming right out of the gate. Our server sensed our hesitant spanish speaking skills (It's SO FAST IN COSTA RICA!) and sent the chef/owner over to us to explain things. While not necessary, as we both read/understand, but it was such a treat. The owner is very warm and truly passionate about food.
We ordered an assortment of lamb dishes for 2, and each prep was great. We loved the braised lamb leg the best, but the meatballs and chops were awesome, as well. The pita bread that they brought out to start was ridiculous, and I could have eaten three more baskets and then skipped dinner.
If you're in the area, I would recommend a stop here. We were treated very well, even with our close to close arrival and our suitcases in hand.

1  Thank AlliejKruse
Reviewed 26 January 2018

I ordered the combination lamb plate. There was so much that I took half home for another meal. I had lamb chops, shoulder and meatballs. I didn't think I'd enjoy the lamb meatballs and I was happy to be wrong. It's hard to find lamb in Costa Rica and this was wonderful!

1  Thank hgsearch
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

We had one of a kind experience at Sofia Mediterraneo. Mr. Mehmet, the owner is a real gem to talk to about food & the philosophy of eating. Their food is to die for. Lamb dish is an epic. Variety of mouth watering mazes & I had a best kefta in my life there. Service is impeccable and the staff are knowledgeable and pleasant. This Amazing family owned restaurant is at a beautiful neighborhood name Barrio Escalante, in SanJosé CostaRica.
You should try this place If you’re in San Jose.
It’s better to get reservation on the weekends.
❤️