All reviews teak house min walk squirrel monkeys anita host jungle kitchen manuel nature treetops cabin troop
Reviewed 14 March 2015

I stayed at Casa Buena Vista for two weeks in the cabin. The cabin was roomy with a large living and dining room, adequate kitchen and a relatively large bedroom. Having traveled extensively in central and South America I am quite aware of what my expectations should be. Nothing is ever perfect, this is not North America and anyone who wants five star accommodations should go to a hotel that charges $250-400 per night not a small B & B that has very reasonable rates.
Anita is a very gracious host who has been in the business for a long time and she knows everything that there is to know about Quepos and Manuel Antonio. The morning breakfasts were delicious and more than adequate, toast with jams, fresh fruit, fresh juice, eggs of your choice and coffee plus some sweet cakes if that is what you like. The conversations with Anita and the other guests at breakfast were always pleasant and a highlight of the day. The common area is perfect for relaxing and to lie in the hammock if it is available.
The Casa is on the Meriposa road so it is within walking distance of the beach, although I would recommend walking down the hill and then taking the bus back as the hill is very steep and rough walking and in the heat can be quite the ordeal.
My only complaint, and it isn’t one, is that the howler monkeys tend to wake you up very early in the morning. For me this isn’t a big issue as I come to Costa Rica for the diversity of nature and to experience that. Some may be turned off by the beautiful bats that make the entrance stairwell their home. However anyone who has any knowledge knows that bats are very beneficial and the old myths are not at all accurate. This is part of the experience of living close to nature and should be embraced.
The bed linens and towels were very good and changed whenever you requested. The WiFi worked from the kitchen table. Overall I would recommend Casa Buena Vista to anyone who wants to stay in a location close to nature at a reasonable price. Coming back to Manuel Antonio this would be my first choice.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank WParks
Labuenanota, Owner at Casa Buena Vista B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Thank you so much for staying with us. You were a great guest and I am looking forward to seeing your log about the rest of your travels. Thanks again. Anita

Reviewed 6 March 2015

You get what you pay for. Starting with positive words. Anita was very gracious. The room had a fab view. The breakfast wonderful. But the fans didn't work well enough and we roasted. I like wildlife but the bats were too much. They wanted to fly just as we wanted to leave for dinner. So they flew overhead as we climbed the stairs. The b&b could use a sprucing up.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2015

Casa Buena Vista is on a quiet small road about 400 mts from the main one. It is a decent walk to nearby restaurants (including Emilio's... my favorite) and a few fun night places. There are wonderful steps and walkways surrounded by lush greenery. It is a nice place to kick back and relax. I found it difficult to extricate myself from the hammock. Anita is a gem! She knows just about all there is to know about Manuel Antonio and Quepos. Her suggestions were always spot on. Chatting with her during breakfast was very enjoyable. The room we stayed in was clean but not opulent. There is secure parking in a gated garage. Wi-Fi only in main area. The rates are very reasonable and the staff is quite pleasant. Casa Buena Vista is a bargain and a treat.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2015

I had a sense about this place when I booked it that something special was going on here. As I write this review packed to depart after three weeks I'm watching a bunch of Titi monkeys moving through the huge tree just outside my screened room. Every day I walked around the area and I've seen wildlife. The beaches are just down the road. Breakfast is always fun with folks from all over the globe. I've met so many here as well as locals. The Ticas are very nice. Anita attends breakfast because she loves the interaction with her guests. You know when breakfast is on because of the laughter. If you don't like hiking around there are taxis. Up the hill you catch a bus to the park or back to Quepos. If you need AA there is a strong contingent nearby. I've met even more great folks there too. I feel a bit empty leaving but I'm going to film those young monkeys cavorting outside. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Rooms below the car port have great views, but closer to the road. Rooms below the teak house may be quieter. At any rate plan on being awake at 5:30. You can already get exercise and see wildlife by breakfast at 07:30. I can hear the tucans down the road now.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Donald W
Reviewed 4 January 2015 via mobile

Property location is wonderful with gorgeous views. We stayed in apartment 1. A little updating like fresh paint, new screens, and new linens would make a huge difference but at $50 a night the value cannot be beat. Anita was nice but demands punctuality so if you are going to be close to 6:00 you may want to choose another location. Anita was not there when we arrived but the lady that came out to greet us was very nice and helpful. She ended up being the chef that prepared a wonderful breakfast for us with fruit salad, eggs, and fresh toast with wonderful jams.

• Stayed: December 2014