“Beautiful Visit”

Osa Wildlife Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Also known as the Santuario Silvestre de Osa . Owned by Carol Crews. $25 admission/donation. All proceeds go into the sanctuary.
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Wonderful opportunity to see animals you may not see in the wild and to learn about them. This is a great place and don't miss the chance to scratch Sweetie, the spider monkey.

Date of experience: February 2018
in 17 reviews
"rehabilitation"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

You have to do this. Unforgettable! The boat ride over was fabulous and the guides were very knowledgeable. We spotted a group of dolphins near the boat and the captain and crew were happy to stop the motor so we could watch the Delfina’s play for awhile. The Sanctuary was very well explained to us and all our questions were answered thoroughly and with great love and knowledge for and of the wildlife in their care. There was a stop for some swimming and even a water slide was erected for our pleasure. The captain and crew also provided healthy snacks and water. Yes! There was a working head (toilet) on the boat. Well worth the cost. I highly recommend this trip to the Osa Wildlife Sanctuary to all.

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 25 October 2017

My wife enjoyed the sanctuary, We were fortunate to share a plane ride with the director. We got the low down on Roses having a baby monkey

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

I agree with the review below in that I wasn't quite sure what to make of the sanctuary or why many of the animals were there.

We were asked at the beginning not to share any photos or sweety the spider monkey interacting with humans on social media as the government does not understand her and would take her away. I can't help feeling that they are aware the interaction is not good for her but that she is also a highlight of the tour for many, and tours are how they make money.

The ocelot was born physically handicapped and would not have survived in the wild. I again agree with the below review in that I'm not sure it is worth keeping her to live her life in a small cage rather than letting nature take its course.

It was interesting to see and learn about the breeding macaws, and I hope they have success inmanaging to release the babies into the wild one day.

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank Hannah M
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 May 2017

This visit was part of our group tour so our cost was $150/person for the boat ride there which was advertised more of a "dolphin boat ride" and the refuge was just an extra. We saw few dolphins so the boat tour was an expensive one. There was a $25 donation required for the refuge centre which I had no problem with as I don't mind donating for a good cause such as saving wildlife. However the trip there left me a bit puzzled. Carol seems dedicated to her animals and although a bit eccentric, it does require an eccentric person to isolate themselves there to care for the animals so thats fine. Few animals we saw there, so I am just assuming there were others but were not accustomed to people. We were told to to post her animals on Facebook but when you are allowed to stand beside an animal, touch and feed it and you are allowed to take a photo with it, it is a bit unreasonable to ask not to use that photo anywhere. And if those animals were to be introduced to the wild at some point why were they allowed to interact with humans or even herself? Although she did say that some of her animals could never be introduced back. The monkeys were roaming free but I still wondered why visitors were allowed to feed those monkeys. Then there was that poor ocelot in cage who was screaming because she was in heat. She explained the ocelot was too injured to get back to the wild. So why not fix her so she doesn't go in heat? In fact, if the ocelot can not survive in the wild I am not sure its better off caged up and alone. Its better off left in the forest and let nature take its course, it would make a meal for a jaguar and that might just be better than a life in a small cage for a wild creature. Then there were the sloths in small cage and people were allowed to go inside their cage. Again not sure why these sloths were made to be accustomed to people, they seemed pretty healthy to me. I guess I should have asked more questions while there. In any case, this refuge is clearly in need of funding if it is to do their job properly and people have to understand they are not there to visit a zoo so they should not even expect to interact with animals, the visit is to learn what is done to help the injured of the forest and determine if Carol is there to offer this help and to donate for this cause if they feel that she's doing a good job for the animals.

Date of experience: April 2017