All reviews beautiful lawn tide pools costa rica palm trees the owner ocean view comfortable chairs private balcony minute walk montezuma falls during low tide first floor mosquito netting in town huevos rancheros air conditioning each morning
Reviewed 9 January 2016

This place was beautiful! We stayed in Casa Luna and it's huge and beautiful. We had all the windows open during the day and enjoyed sitting in the patio having drinks. The sunrise in the morning was beautiful and we had a great video from our patio! The hotel itself is very well kept, clean, and has beautiful views of the ocean. Great find!

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2015

I recently stayed at the Hotel Amor de Mar for 4 days/nights - and I have a few thoughts for you to consider prior to booking a vacation there:

First, I want to make it clear that I won't hold the hotel responsible for things obviously outside their control (the weather, other guests, traffic noise, etc.). If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know I value cleanliness and quiet above everything in a hotel - so much so, that I don't mind paying a premium for these two characteristics. As well, I generally don't write too many negative reviews...I bring problems to the management's attention and give them an opportunity to address deficiencies prior to my posting anything about it.

I found a couple of aspects of my recent stay somewhat off-putting:
1) Primarily, the housekeeping was quite sub-par until, paradoxically, I tipped them. There was a significant colony of termites (and their larvae) very alive and well in our room. I accept this as something of a reality in tropical hotels - but this particular situation was met with utter indifference from the cleaning staff when I brought it to their attention.
2) The rooms are illuminated with the weakest of lighting and cooled by the weakest of air conditioning. If you are seeking to periodically escape the heat or to have some time for privacy, the rooms are not wholly set up for it.
3) From the afternoon onwards, there are no opportunities to purchase food or drinks. A walk to town is necessary for keep your comfort supplies topped-up.

Issues that are not the hotel's fault:
1) The hotel (and Montezuma, in general) is constantly in the drone of muffer-less motorcycles driving by day and night.
2) There is a nearby sports bar that keeps the bass-heavy music going well into the night. Extremely annoying for those who like to head for bed after the sun sets.
3) The hotel doesn't have a beach, per se. It has some beautiful volcanic rocks that extend out into the sea - making for some incredible photographs, but not a place to stand knee-deep in water. Best to keep the children away from these hazards.

Having said the above, I would still solidly recommend the hotel to those who understand the situation and knowingly accept these realities. The hotel itself is intimate, provides great meals, and is hosted by some lovely people. Your experience there can be a function of the other guests, unfortunately.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank ndsci
Reviewed 1 December 2015

Pros:
-Nicely furnished and decorated room. This was the prettiest room we stayed in in Costa Rica.
-Nice views and grounds. Our room had a little terrace with a hammock chair and lounge chairs overlooking a heavily planted area. The ocean and planted grounds leading to it were very nice.
-Friendly, helpful staff.
-Reservations were easy to make online in advance and check in and check out were easy.

Cons:
-This place was WAY overpriced compared to everywhere else we stayed in Costa Rica. We had places that were almost as nice for less than 1/5 the price we paid here. I do not feel like we got anywhere near our money's worth for this place. It is not some super luxurious spa. The rooms are nice and the decorations are pretty, but it's really a pretty standard hotel room at the end of the day.
-They will nickel and dime you like you wouldn't believe. Want coffee in the morning? You have to pay for it. Want to fill up your water bottle outside of your bathroom sink tap? You have to pay for it. Want breakfast? You have to pay for it. This was the only place in all of Costa Rica where we stayed that did not include breakfast.
-It's away from the town center, so be prepared to walk 10 minutes there and back. For some people, that's not an issue, but it is unbelievably hot and humid there so you'll probably be drenched in sweat by the time you arrive. And I say this as someone who has lived in a hot and humid climate all my life--Montezuma's climate was still a shock to me. I wouldn't want to have to walk that far in the heat and humidity if I went to Montezuma again.
-Despite being away from the town center, it's still very noisy. In fact, it was as noisy as a hostel I stayed in in another city. I was on a bottom floor room and the people above me sounded like they were doing a dance routine until midnight a couple of nights. The stairs next to our room were obnoxiously loud, too, and the people going in and out of rooms around ours. I kind of expect that at a hostel, but not someplace charging what Amor de Mar does.
-The "special" breakfast wasn't very good, ESPECIALLY for the outrageous price they charged ($18/person plus fees and taxes!). All I had for that price was some dry bread, standard chopped fruit, coffee, and a piece of processed cheese. Ridiculous. I had better free breakfasts elsewhere, and after that first morning, I walked into town the other mornings to have a much better and cheaper breakfast at one of the restaurants there.
-Even with an A/C unit in our room, it was HOT. This is more to do with Montezuma than Amor de Mar, though. I don't know if any A/C unit could really do much against the horrible heat and humidity in that area. Just be prepared for it if you go.
-We had so many mosquitoes in our room, even with the doors closed, we woke up thinking we had bed bugs. They were biting us through the sheets and these skeeters were no joke. They left us with huge welts. Again, this isn't really Amor de Mar's fault, just something to be aware of if you travel here.
-The wifi didn't work very well. It was slow and it cut out frequently. The friend I traveled with never was able to access it at all the whole four days we were there.
-They didn't warn us not to drink tap water after a heavy rain; we found out when we went into town and someone at a restaurant told us that the city's tap water was compromised that day. A little warning from the hotel staff would have been nice!
-They also didn't tell us that our shuttle service company taking us to Alajuela had called to change our pickup time to an hour earlier than originally scheduled, until my friend happened to go talk to a staff member about something else the night before. If she hadn't gone to talk to them, they might not have remembered to tell us that our shuttle pick up had changed and we could have missed it.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed 27 November 2015

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Amor de Mar. The view is wonderful and the grounds are very pleasant with more hammocks than we could count. There are many nice design touches throughout the property, including candles in a sitting area outside our room. The restaurant is good, though overpriced, and we were surprised that guests had to pay for coffee. The tidepools that the hotel advertises are indeed right on the property, although there weren't any creatures to be found in them.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 26 November 2015 via mobile

The lobby/restaurant had a beautiful view of the ocean and the employees are very welcoming. Unfortunately thats the only good thing I can say about my stay at this hotel. We stayed in a standared room above the reception. The first thing that hit us was the smell of mold when we walked into our room. It also wasn't possible to close the windows all the way and it got so humid that you had to turn on the A/C. Not very eco-friendly...

Trip type: Travelled with friends