2,111 results
All reviews golf cart playitas beach ocean breeze suite tortilla making private beach sustainability tour playitas restaurant halloween crabs premium suite local snacks costa rica cart drivers tico bar tortillas lower pool pura vida main restaurant
Reviewed 2 October 2018

I was referred to this resort by my best friend who had recently visited Costa Rica. I truly cannot say enough about this resort! I did a paper review with the desk prior to checking out, and I plan to do as many reviews online as I possibly can. I typically do not review positive experiences (unfair, I know) but this experience was so beyond just a positive experience that I absolutely had to. From the resort itself, to the staff, to the service, everything was amazing. The place is beautiful, with exquisite views. The rooms are huge and comfy (we had a suite), with gigantic patios (ours had a private jacuzzi which was awesome)! The food is so delicious, I mean absolutely everything we ordered was scrumptious. The service we received from ALL staff members was top notch. From the drivers, to room service, to waitstaff to the front desk, they were all wonderful. Arenas Del Mar also has some pretty awesome amenities. They have a private beach and pools with outstanding views! They offer a tortilla making class free of charge, and its pretty great, lots of fun! They also make booking excursions really easy! If you are considering staying here during your stay in Costa Rica, DO IT!!!!! I promise you will not be disappointed! And for the record, I am not personally affiliated with anyone from Arenas Del Mar, I'm truly just a HIGHLY SATISFIED CUSTOMER. Thanks for an awesome 10 year anniversary Arenas Del Mar! Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissTyffanie
Reviewed 2 October 2018

I stayed here for three days this past weekend and have quite a few good things to say about this hotel. First, I booked a non-refundable room for my stay and subsequently broke my arm and was unable to travel. The hotel graciously offered me a credit for the time period when my arm was to be healed, which was now.

The property itself is beautiful and well maintained. The staff always remembered my name and greeted me using it (which shamed me greatly since I am horrible at remembering names) and everyone is always friendly and offering to do something. They were also quick to point out monkeys or sloths, when they were seen, and as it happened to be whale watching season, they even helped spot whales and dolphins for a few of us one morning.

The restaurants are good - I feel lunch is overpriced, but since you're a bit far out of town, and the service is great, I suppose it's in accordance with what they can charge. Service is great there too.

My largest complaint is that the resort was under construction. It's much needed - the rooms are showing definite signs of age and wear. But, construction starts at 6am (they told me 8am) and goes straight until 6pm. So while you're woken up early, there also isn't time for a nap. I complained the first day - I was there for quiet and wanted to spend most of my time on my balcony, for which the view couldn't be beat. However, there were workers within a stones throw looking at me, and that was weird. They did immediately offer to move me, which I took them up on (service is stellar here), but the new room had the same issues. My balcony was more private so at least I wasn't looked at, and being a building away made it slightly quieter, but I was still woken up in the morning and still unable to nap. I'm not sure what they could have done differently - except maybe warned me and allowed me to come yet another time? Or found a way to seclude the construction away from occupied rooms? I really disliked the disruption in quiet and the fact that even trying to seek out other parts of the resort to sit, you could still hear the pounding and sawing.

I was fortunate??? enough to be moved to a room that was half ocean view and half rain forest (I did prefer my original view but this was nice). You saw more wildlife there, although they were persistent buggers. I had a monkey clawing at my screen one afternoon (see picture), and my first night in the room, the raccoons managed to pick the lock on the outdoor pantry, slide another lever, and completely raid the refrigerator (see picture). When I tried to pound on the door to scare them, one of them had the audacity to actually come up to the door and stare at me.

Hours later, coming out of the bathroom, I found that a raccoon had picked the locks to my door and was entering the room. A minute later and he would have been in the room! My screams definitely scared him out (hence no picture), but I also discovered that had I encountered an ax murder, no one would have heard me :-).

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night, which didn't go well with the early construction and inability to nap in the room. The next night I was extra careful about locking the door, and even put up a blockade, but they managed to bypass it (I was alerted by my blockade). I think the lock was likely broken and had I stayed another night, I probably would have done something about it.

All in all, I came home less rested than intended. But it was a jungle adventure and if it's not under construction, I'd certainly recommend this hotel. Just double check all your locks!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Cayuga S, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Dear Jacqueline144, thank you for your candid feedback. We’re glad you made it down to Arenas del Mar after your arm recovered and enjoyed a full jungle adventure with us. We can only sincerely apologize again for the maintenance work disturbances during your stay – thank you for your understanding and we’re glad you could appreciate the views and our natural paradise from your second room. Seems like you had a close encounter with the sneaky wildlife too! Our apologies on their behalf – they don’t quite know where Manuel Antonio National Park ends and Arenas del Mar begins! We’ll be sure to take a look at the locks of the room for future guests. All in all, thank you for recommending Arenas del Mar - we’d be delighted to welcome you back someday soon! Pura vida!

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming to Manuel Antonio since I was 10 years old ... I simply love it here. The lush vegetation, the rough ocean, the temperature of the water, the proximity to San Jose... all of this plus one of my Fav hotels Arenas del Mar.
I’ve written about it before, but every time I come I feel like sharing how magnificent it is, specially when things improve from one visit to another.
This time we arrived at night and the staff was attentive and so welcoming we felt at home.
The beautiful suite was ready with the beds set for my daughters. This suite layout is so perfect for families since it provides a small second bathroom next to the leaving space.
Amazing terrace with jacuzzi and a zillion dollar view!
The complementary mini bar offers great Costarican munchies!
El Mirador restaurant seems better and better every time we seat there for breakfast or dinner.
Make sure you try to stay at Arenas del Mar when visiting Manuel Antonio!
Great job Alfonso, Cayuga people and everyone involved in making this beautiful place such a heaven on earth!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank CRbyNataly
Cayuga S, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Thanks for your review, CRbyNataly! We’re so happy you’ve made Arenas del Mar your second home :) There’s definitely something about Manuel Antonio that gets into the soul – miles and miles of beautiful beaches, lush untouched nature, all the wildlife… and yes, those zillion dollar views if you stay at Arenas del Mar! We hope you’ll keep visiting with your family for many years to come, and we promise to keep exceeding your expectations. Pura vida!

Reviewed 22 September 2018

Our room and view were beautiful. We especially enjoyed seeing humpback whales, monkeys, sloths, iquanas, butterflies and much more without having to leave the property. The food was fabulous. Most of all, the staff was the friendliest and most accommodating we have ever experienced anywhere we have traveled. We are already making plans to come back soon!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

We started our honeymoon in Arenas del mar and couldn't choose better!
The stuff are so kind and helpful make us feel at home from the first minute.
The rooms are clean and beautiful with cute balconies.
We've got a room with amazing ocean view and even had a visit from a few monkeys one night.
The private beach is so special just to sit and relax in front of the waves.
The food is great and the restaurant is just in front of the see. So beautiful to start the morning with this view.
Beyond our expectations!!! We didn't want to leave. The most amazing hotal we have been in Costa Rica

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Cayuga S, Manager at Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Thanks for choosing Arenas del Mar for your honeymoon, Shavit! We’re honored to have hosted your romantic trip and exceeded your expectations. We’re sure the ocean views had something to do with it – they’re quite spectacular aren’t they! Did you know the view from the infinity pool down the coast to Manuel Antonio National Park is actually one of the official “1000 Places to See Before You Die”? Definitely a beautiful start to your mornings! Hope to welcome you back to Arenas del Mar someday, perhaps for your future anniversaries :) Pura vida!