“Great stay but a couple of things you should know...”

Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 21 March 2008

This is a really neat hotel and the rooms are amazing. It's very quaint and I loved the fact that there are so few suites so it was peaceful and relaxing. We were in #6 so we could stay on our patio and read, or we spent a lot of time by the pool as well. The bath was great and the bed was comfortable. We stayed at Hotel Mandarina for 2 nights and Issimo for 3 nights, which was the perfect mix of price and location. We had great meals at the restaurant (very good steak) and it was reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again but a few things I should point out that might help those in the decision-making phase....

Breakfast got old after the first three days because the menu is limited. But it was good each time and that wasn't really a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. The staff was great but English was not as good as other places so I wasn't sure if they understood our requests all the time (more so w/ the waitstaff than the concierge). We never had issues with the fact that the pool was small and basically has two "good" seats, but the lower deck is not as good as the upper deck (it's more undercover and no view) so I'm glad the upper was always available for us. The location is great because it feels secluded, but keep in mind it's about a mile up a dusty road to get back into town which is about a $6 cab ride each time. We walked most of the time which was fine for us, but you definitely work up a sweat when you walk.

The one thing that brings my rating from a 5 to a 4 was that our air conditioner in our room was extremely LOUD to the point where I really couldn't sleep very well. We tried cranking it up until we went to sleep and then turning it off, but it got hot in the middle of the night so we'd have to turn it on for a bit to cool things down. I never said anything to the staff, until I left I included in my feedback sheet, so maybe there was something wrong with it and it could have been fixed.

In summary, although there were a few quirks I really felt like we were in a luxurious place with the bath, patio and view. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

-Elizabeth

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elizabeth123-TRIP

Reviewed 10 March 2008

My husband and I had a gorgeous, most stress-free wedding organized by the staff of Issimo Suites 3 weeks ago.
Our stay was absolutely perfect. Presidential Suite is huge - 2 storeys and has its own kitchen, 2 giant bathrooms with a jacuzzi, sundeck, terrace and a private pool overlooking the ocean. Rooms and the entire hotel are beautifully decorated and kept spotless. Issimo restaurant is also awesome - that is where we had the reception dinner. Good food and service.
Away from the busy street yet minutes away from Manuel Antonio national park and hundreds of restaurants, Issimo Suites is truly and amazing place. Staff are friendly and extremely helpful and accomodating. There is a small beach about 7min (walk) away from the hotel and there is a shuttle provided for those that would like to go to the manuel antonio beach (10 min drive).
The Spa at Issimo is also a great experience. . most people that were staying at the hotel at the same time as us actually EXTENDED their stay!
We are definitely coming back next year.
BIG thank you to everyone at issimo for planning our wedding and being so patient and accomodating.
See you next year!
Elena and Max

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2008

My wife had extremely high hopes when we stayed at the Issimo Suites (because of the great reviews from Trip Advisor) in early February, but unfortunately, it did not come close to living up to those expectations.
First, the good: There is a fantastic view from every room of the jungle and the ocean. The rooms look exactly like the pictures, they are open with a jacuzzi in the middle of the room. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good, and dinner was great and reasonably priced. Edgar was helpful in arranging different activities for us like a sailboat/snorkeling trip and a canopy zip line tour. I highly recommend doing both activities.
We ate lunch there at about 1:30 the first day we arrived, and we were joined by about 10 monkeys. They left fruit for the monkeys, so they all hung out with us. It was amazing.

We had some major problems though. First, we didn't have any hot water to take a shower the first night we got there. It took a long time to get the hot water to work. After a long day at the beach, my wife and I wanted to relax in the jacuzzi. Once again though, the hot water wasn't working. It literally took us over 2 hours to partially fill up the jacuzzi. They lost our dinner reservation one night, and we had to wait a very long time to eat.

I was able to live with all of those issues, but on our last night things got much worse. Our air conditioner stopped working at around 10:30 at night. I tried to fix it, but couldn't. I went down to the front desk area, and got some people to work on it. We didn't hhave the air conditioner working untill close to 1 AM. We had also requested a wake up for that next morning. We had to catch a flight from Quepos to San Jose, so we really needed to wake up on time. Luckily for us, my wife woke up to go to the bathroom in the morning and noticed that it was 30 mintues later then when we requested the wake up call.

I have never been so angry at a hotel as I was my last day, and for the first time that I ever traveled, I asked to get some money back and complained. Edgar agreed took off $300 from our bill, which I though was fair but my wife still expected more.

I really wanted to love the Issimo Suites. It really could have been a fantastic stay. Judging from everyone else's reviews, we probably just got very unlucky on our stay. We will never stay there again, but I don't think our stay was typical.

Jason and Heather
Westchester, NY

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jasonkl24
Reviewed 6 March 2008

Wished we would have stayed here longer. Our room was on a lower level floor so we did not have the same amazing view others did. Very impressive rooms. Great night of sleep. Well worth it if you have the money.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2008

My wife and I recently had the wonderful experience of staying at Issimo Suites. The trip was a getaway to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary and I wanted it to be special.... Let me tell you, it was amazing! The staff treats you like family. The setting is very tranquil. The food was great. The Spa services were great. We actually hugged the staff goodbye when we left. It was like saying goodbye to friends or family. Get down there the first chance you get, you won't be dissapointed!

Brian & Jennifer Albury