Hotel California is located off the main road in Manuel Antonio. Taxi drivers did traverse the rocky incline (dry season) to get to the hotel. It is nicely situated with the reception area across from where the rooms, pool, and restaurant area is located. WiFi is available from the balcony patio or from the main reception area. You can also get WiFi around the pool area. The view is spectacular over looking lush green vegetation and a wide view of the beach (looking towards Jaco). Although there was a school group of about 20 students, we were the only ones using the pool at the end of the day and we felt the hotel was not crowded.
Rooms - clean, comfortable, enough space for 3 adults, balcony, air conditioning.
Bathroom - nothing fancy but warm water, low water pressure, clean, limited room to put toiletries (but you have a countertop above the fridge - see pictures)
Service - excellent
- we were greeted immediately (10 a.m.); asked if we could get a great view
- while we waited we were offered fresh fruit
- room was ready within 30 min
- Haylin (front reception) helped us book a tour right away
- helped us orient and made suggestions of what we could do
- Gerald helped us call a taxi and made reservations at Ronny's for us
- we were allowed a late late check out
- the restaurant has a variety of choices on their menu
- continental breakfast was good (I'm not a picky eater - toast, cereal, fresh fruit, made-for-you omelette or scramble eggs)
Apparently management has changed recently (the manager is actually on the premises which always makes a difference - although I did not meet the manager)
Taxis from hotel to Manuel Antonio will cost approx. 3000 - 5000 (may be cheaper if you're better at bargaining). You can walk down the hill and catch the bus every 20 minutes for about 250 colones; but sharing a taxi was more feasible for us so we didn't take the bus and spared ourselves the walk up or down the rocky road.
For what we paid, I would highly recommend a couple of nights at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel California, Ocean View hotel !!! Great place to experience the peace of paradise and the thrill of local attractions. Located in beautiful Manuel Antonio with awesome views of the Pacific Ocean from our 12 Deluxe rooms and mountain view from our 15 Standard rooms.Our rooms are very comfortable & spacious with complete privacy, balcony, air conditioning, satellite television, telephones, hot water and mini- refrigerators.The hotel features a variety of services including honeymoon packages, surfing and sport fishing, canopy tours, Estuary Tours, White Water Rafting, Sailing Tours and can arrange for any other activities you might be looking for during your vacation in Costa Rica. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel California reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.