“Magical”

Star Mountain Horse Tours
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Fantastic 2 hour tour through the mountains and onto the beach. Reasonable price and excellent guide. Best activity in Mal Pais.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The Star Mountain Horse Tour was great. My husband and two sons loved the mountain and beach scenery. It was our first time on a horse tour and we would highly recommend this one. The horses were gentle and the tour guide was accommodating to us. We are definitely doing this again when we go back to Costa Rica!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend our honeymoon enjoying the splendor of Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. We were even luckier to have Star Mountain Jungle Lodge as our accommodations. On top of that my wife grew up horseback riding in Montana so she was very excited that Star Mountain offers horse tours. The ride was a lot of fun and the highlight was a group of howler monkeys we came across on our way down to the beach. The tour is the perfect way to head to the empty beaches of Mal Pais as opposed to the more populated (still pretty much to yourself) beaches of Santa Teresa. Getting to ride through some hidden jungle trails and popping out onto a beach where literally the only company was the crashing waves was a real treat. Seeing the town from horseback gives you a perspective you could only appreciate with this unique activity.

The 2 hour ride was the perfect amount for warming-up to riding, particularly when you haven't ridden in years like my wife and I. They do offer longer tours and I know Mal Pais is full of incredible scenery so next time we go we will definitely be going for one of the longer tours.
Highly recommend this tour if you find yourself in either Santa Teresa or Mal Pais!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We were so fortunate to have chosen Star Mountain Horse Tours to take our grandchildren on a horseback riding tour of a lifetime. The jungle, the beach, the animals and the sunset were way more beautiful than we ever expected. Thank you to the owners and the guide. We have pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We read good reviews for this horseback riding and since Star Mountain resort was just down the road from the house in which we stayed, we decided to book the trip. There were 4 of us, myself and 3 teenage sons (17-20). Our guide did not speak any English, so when he kept giving instructions to my sons in Spanish, it was a bit frustrating. We don't speak much Spanish, which we communicated to him. The horses are pleasant and the roads and short ride on the beach are pleasant. We had already driven the dirt roads on which we rode many times, so unfortunately it wasn't any new territory for us. For someone not staying in the immediate area it would be new flora and fauna to see. We did encounter a problem with one of the horses. It simply wanted to walk at a very slow pace the entire ride. When everyone else was galluping it refused to move faster than a slow walk. The guide tried to prod it along, but it simply refused. It may have been an older horse but it was diappointing to my son who was riding that particular horse. We even switched riders to no avail. They really shouldn't take that horse out for the excursion if it isn't capable of keeping up with the others.

Overall, the ride was pleasant, with the above drawbacks.

1  Thank cadehoops