Review Highlights
Peaceful hidden gem

Star Mountain Lodge is a spectacular hidden gem, nestled in a jungle paradise, surrounded my all... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
joelnilv
Las Vegas, Nevada
Great horseback ride to and from the Butterfly Farm

We were staying at Star Mountain and so, 6 of us (they borrowed 2 horses to accomodate the number... read more

Reviewed 13 June 2018
Travelbug33423
Fort Collins, Colorado

All reviews jungle lodge hour ride an experienced rider my husband rafael riders trail gallop scenery populated trotted opposed horses nature guide
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend our honeymoon enjoying the splendor of Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. We were even luckier to have Star Mountain Jungle Lodge as our accommodations. On top of that my wife grew up horseback riding in Montana so she was very excited that Star Mountain offers horse tours. The ride was a lot of fun and the highlight was a group of howler monkeys we came across on our way down to the beach. The tour is the perfect way to head to the empty beaches of Mal Pais as opposed to the more populated (still pretty much to yourself) beaches of Santa Teresa. Getting to ride through some hidden jungle trails and popping out onto a beach where literally the only company was the crashing waves was a real treat. Seeing the town from horseback gives you a perspective you could only appreciate with this unique activity.

The 2 hour ride was the perfect amount for warming-up to riding, particularly when you haven't ridden in years like my wife and I. They do offer longer tours and I know Mal Pais is full of incredible scenery so next time we go we will definitely be going for one of the longer tours.
Highly recommend this tour if you find yourself in either Santa Teresa or Mal Pais!

Date of experience: August 2013
1  Thank JaysonRep
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We were so fortunate to have chosen Star Mountain Horse Tours to take our grandchildren on a horseback riding tour of a lifetime. The jungle, the beach, the animals and the sunset were way more beautiful than we ever expected. Thank you to the owners and the guide. We have pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

Date of experience: January 2014
1  Thank zdwhq
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We read good reviews for this horseback riding and since Star Mountain resort was just down the road from the house in which we stayed, we decided to book the trip. There were 4 of us, myself and 3 teenage sons (17-20). Our guide did not speak any English, so when he kept giving instructions to my sons in Spanish, it was a bit frustrating. We don't speak much Spanish, which we communicated to him. The horses are pleasant and the roads and short ride on the beach are pleasant. We had already driven the dirt roads on which we rode many times, so unfortunately it wasn't any new territory for us. For someone not staying in the immediate area it would be new flora and fauna to see. We did encounter a problem with one of the horses. It simply wanted to walk at a very slow pace the entire ride. When everyone else was galluping it refused to move faster than a slow walk. The guide tried to prod it along, but it simply refused. It may have been an older horse but it was diappointing to my son who was riding that particular horse. We even switched riders to no avail. They really shouldn't take that horse out for the excursion if it isn't capable of keeping up with the others.

Overall, the ride was pleasant, with the above drawbacks.

Date of experience: March 2012
2  Thank cadehoops
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My grown daughter and I had the pleasure of taking this tour last summer. We were the only 2 people with a wonderful father and son guide. The scenery was gorgeous! We saw beautiful hillsides, the jungle with monkeys, and best of all the beach. We really enjoyed the guides' company. We especially enjoyed galloping on the way back! Also, while I was galloping up the hill my camera worked its way out of the holder and fell out. I didn't realize it until I was on my way back to the hotel. I was so upset because it had all of our trip's pictures. Well the young guide found it and was honest and turned it in to the owners. The owner even drove the camera back to a common meeting place. Now that's what I call service! I highly recommend everyone to take this tour!

2  Thank Becky98
Reviewed 22 January 2010

What a wonderful and exciting way to see Costa Rica! Friendly guides, gentle horses, and an exciting ride make for a wonderful experience! It is a MUST do!

2  Thank iheartlkn