“Excellent Italian Food, Great Staff too!”
Review of Amapola

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Amapola
Ranked #105 of 176 Restaurants in Jaco
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 7 August 2015

What a great surprise! One of the best authentic Italian meals I've had outside of Rome. We had caprese, house Chianti, one of the house specialty pizzas, a fish with parm rizotto dish, tiramisu, finished with home made lemonchello. The wait staff was very attentive and social. We had a good time talking to the owner. Nice atmosphere with white linen table cloths and nice dinnerware. We sat outside to enjoy the perfect evening. Don't miss this place!

Reviewed 5 June 2015

I have walked by this place multiple times in the past few weeks. Today since I was in the area I tried it out. Good choice. Servers and owner very friendly and all spoke English (I was on my way to a Spanish lesson). Nice menu with variety and well priced (inclusive 23%). I had the special of the day chicken parm and was offered with spaghetti or salad. Since I watch carbs I did the salad. Excellent! Two huge cutlets served over a nice bed of mixed greens, tomato and onions. There was enough food for two for lunch. They have a wood fired brick oven so I'll definitely go back to sample the extensive pizza menu. Great experience, try it I think you will like it.

Reviewed 10 March 2015

It was a great meal and a good price the very helpfull i do not know spanish but everything worked out well.The chcken parm was the best i have had outside of canada and the spagety w/ bolanyies sauce was off the hook.

Reviewed 20 February 2015

Excellent food and service. I recommend the chicken parmigiana which was exquisite. I'll definitely go back next time I'm in Jac0.

Reviewed 24 January 2015

I stayed in the Amapola hotel for business in Jaco. The hotel was ok as the beds were uncomfortable so I ended up pulling the mattress off of one and putting it on top of the other bed and sleeping that way. When I arrived I received a welcome cocktail which I poured out as I do not take alcohol ever. This was not their fault but perhaps they should have offered a variety of refreshments rather than assume everyone consumes alcohol. The next morning I went for the breakfast that was included with the hotel stay. People were nice and an Italian gentleman approached the table and asked about my room number. The waiter bought over the breakfast plate which consisted of about 6 beans and 12 grains of rice (I am being sarcastic here but the portion was so small it was ridiculous). There was one egg on the plate as well as one half piece of toast and two thinly sliced pieces of ripe plantain. A small cup contained about two tablespoons full of sour cream. After about 3 minutes my breakfast was gone and I could not tell that I had eaten. The Italian gentleman looked over at me and I think he felt bad for a second and said let me get you some more breakfast – “it is only beans and rice” he said. He came to my table with a full plate of food – a nice complete plate. I was shocked as this kind of treatment almost never exists here in Costa Rica. The food was good and the gentleman shook my hand on the way out and reminded me that they had dinner service. I did not go back for dinner as I left that afternoon. I would not recommend paying for the food there and since it was allegedly included in the hotel stay I am sure they only served the minimum just to say “well we gave you breakfast”. I think it is dishonest and they should serve real portions in order to make you want to come back for dinner. The restaurant itself was nice and the people were friendly but one is almost scared to go again because you will enter hungry and leave hungrier.

2  Thank Chris B