All reviews working girls costa rica karaoke night pool bar ocean front public beach laid back central america san jose optional jacuzzi naked iguanas nightlife
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

We had a great time at Copacabana, we met amazing people and made new friends. The room was clean, nice and comfortable. Excellent food with a large menu. Great atmospher at the bar and pool, live music and karaoke during ojr stay. We are going back for halllween week. Friendly and helpfum staff

Date of stay: September 2016
1  Thank solela00
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

Once again we had an amazing experience at the Copa! We arrived at the hotel a few hours before check in but the manager Katia was happy to check us in early. We were there for my fiances birthday and labor day weekend. All of the staff went above and beyond to help me surprise him with a cake and they also sang happy birthday. Every visit we are treated like family and every visit to Costa Rica must include a few nights at the Copa. The food is amazing. Chiliguaro shots are amazing!! Remember this is adults only. Its for the open-minded.

#HomeAwayFromHome

Date of stay: September 2016
3  Thank HunnyBunny326
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Iwas very hard to rate this place. So i will tell you the aspects i love and hate.

First of all I wish I would have taken some pictures of the room. It did not look like that room that they show on here at all. Someone said the rooms are small but to me it's regular hotel size rooms. They are old, very old. To me the beds are hard, but that is personal opinion. They are a good price if you are staying there not under all inclusive rate.

The pool was hit and miss. Some days the water was beautiful, other days green. They had enough chairs for the 6 guets that were there. it's a convenient walk right to the ocean. The ocean that has lots of waves and it's fun to play in.

This is my second stay, the first one all inclusive, but we didn't go that route this time. Main reason because I felt like I missed out on what's in town last time. I'm glad cause in town was great. They have a good menu with a lot of American things on it, which is why I like going into town and trying some of the Costa Rican dishes. The food there is great. The chefs know their way around the kitchen. Our breakfast was included in the room and we ate every lunch there. Our dinners were eaten in town except when we had dinner on the beach. It was a fabulous experience and I recommend it to everyone. Just make sure you know how much it's going to cost before hand.

Dont think this is a wild party hotel with other guests. Last time there were few couples and same this time. The guest make the place but they have no control over that. There was a lot of "friendly" ladies running around and they were nice looking. They didnt bother me but i am very open minded.

The staff is very nice and let me check different rooms out. First one A/C wasn't working well. Second one smelled funny. Third one was ours for the week. Check your credit card when you get home. The charge was mord than he said. They messed up on exchange rate. Im sure easy mistake but it took several emails and phone calls to get it straight, but we eventually did.

The guy I was where was hoping for something a little more fun. Sort of like Temptations or Desires in Cancun. The only activity they had at night was karaoke and only once. They said maybe a band next week. Nights were dead there which is why going into town was more fun. Very easy walk to town. This was more a laid-back restful vacation. It really just depends on what you are looking for and what you can deal with.

Date of stay: April 2016
4  Thank ditraveling7
Reviewed 17 August 2016

This is day eight of eight days at The Copacabana Desire Hotel (Copa) in Jaco, Costa Rica.

I have been too busy doing nothing to write … doing nothing is good sometimes.

I have stayed at Hilton’s, Hyatt’s, Marriott’s, even the Hollywood love nest at Santa Barbara Beach in California, and many other chain hotels at beaches and cities across the globe. The “Copa” is none of those.

If you want the “vibe” and synthetic luxury of the aforementioned big hotel chains … by all means ... stop reading this report and go to the Best Western in Jaco, the Cocal Hotel/Casino a few blocks away, or wait for the JW Marriott being built down the beach.

This place has the ambiance of the old north shore (Hawaii) or the old Florida Keys (before the onslaught of their international corporate hotel chains). I know, I used to live in Hawaii "back in-the-day."

Papa Hemingway, John Steinbeck or even Ann Ryan would have been comfortable here. Gertrude Stein would probably open an art studio and gather her bohemian friends around her … in fact there is a small art studio on-site.

Physically the hotel is a dated-building that appears to be well-kept (even for the Central American tropics).

I arrived at about 10:30 AM. No problems. The nice desk lady let me drop my bags in a regular room while my junior suite was being vacated and later cleaned. No worries mate … parked my bags and headed to the pool for some sun and margaritas.

I (well now …“we”) for the past eight days have been in a junior suite on the third floor with a two person hot tube on the balcony overlooking of the beach. The room walls are white; the tile is reddish brown. The shower is glass-framed with no door necessary. There is a 36” flat- screen TV on the wall and a small hotel-style refrigerator.

The toilet has a door off the sink and shower area. The cooler is stocked with beer, water and soft drinks upon arrival.

There is a small convenience store 1 block away. But why bother? With the all-inclusive package you could drink yourself into a coma (if that is what you prefer). Try the fresh fruit drinks at the hotel bar, or go buy some tropical drinks in plasticbottle at the store … it’s all good.

There are smaller (much smaller) rooms available. I had peeked into the rooms which are good for the budget-minded.

I suspect you are wondering about the well, the ladies … and yes there are plenty of those at the Hotel/Casino Cocal, a 10 minute walk away, or a 3 minute taxi ride away … more like a New York runway fashion show than bar flies. Everybody is different of course, with different tastes.

For me and my lady friend I prefer the palm tree-shrouded beach view complete with an ocean-scented topical breeze.

Ah, you are wondering the lady comment … well gentlemen do not speak of such things … so no comment.

For the folks unrestrained by a tight budget and wishing to partake of “Pura Vida” (you can look that up yourself) … I recommend the junior suite or above with the “all inclusive” package.

The hotel food is pretty darn good … fresh and I reason chemical free … ergo perhaps part of the reason my blood pressure is down.

There are two smaller pools, and two cool bubble tubs (note: that cool water is good here).

Even during the current “rainy season” the tropical heat can persuade even you dedicated “A” types to slow down and adapt “tropical time” or “tico-time” (although I have yet to hear anyone say that here).

Hemingway would have hated the combination of the aforesaid “hear” & “here.” … but alas, I am not Hemmingway.

Ah, you are wondering about “rainy-season.” The rain is only part of each day. The clouds soon part and there is enough Central American sun to satisfy even the most dedicated sun worshiper.

Ok … I am signing off for a bit to have lunch with my “Chica” … I will try and continue this later … if I can draw a sober breath.

Ok … now later much later … and last day … sigh.

Now I am back at the pool. The sun is going down and the pool area is heating up at little.

The staff here tries really hard.

It is just a bit like family, only family would not sanction some of the shenanigans that occur at the pools … “Que Sera, Sera” I suppose … use your imagination.

A staff member came up to us at the pool and informed us of a complaint of a single male customer voicing a grievance that my female companion was videoing or photographing all day … when in fact my “Chica” was watching videos or reading email on her cell phone at the pool. Sigh ... there is always “one” somewhere.

There should be a special hotel for the complainers in every beach town. That way they can make each other miserable. The staff lady handled as best she could I suppose. She was gracious as can be … poor girl.

This last morning I chose an adventure and took a local bus trip (five dollars vs one hundred dollars) trip to the airport in San Jose.

It was a modern bus to the airport vice a van. It was a nice bus … nice ride … two hours (-) with a few passenger road-side pickup ups.

It was a cool early morning ride with the window slightly cracked and the green, green country-side sliding by.

The airport is clean, modern and efficient. There seems to be only airport one bar available to numb the reality of leaving paradise … story of my life.

Well the verdict?

Ah … couples and bachelor heaven …the hotel is laid-back and subdued … well done. Go let the tropical heat sink in … eat, drink, nap, love … be nice.

Even though the hotel is all-inclusive … bring a stack of 5’s & 10’s to hand-out in appreciation to the hotel staff … not required or expected … but let loose a little, it makes everyone happy … including you.

There could possibly be a general hotel guidelines flyer coming in … but other than that no worries amigos.

Damn, it is hard getting back on the airplane plane heading back to North America.

Now I understand only too well what Kipling meant (even though was writing about Burma a century ago):

“There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks o' me; For the wind is in the palm-trees, and the temple-bells they say: "Come you back, you British soldier; come you back to Mandalay!"

“Pura Vida.”

Room tip: Junior Suite with hot tub.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank humanresources33
Reviewed 16 August 2016

The hotel is shabby and in need of many repairs, especially in the common areas. Chipped and broken stair treads, ratty pool deck. There were very few guests. Just us and one single guy one whole day. Other days there were a few guests -- maybe four couples? -- but still very quiet and boring without others to party with.
Our "suite" was renovated, but poorly. It was small. Low quality workmanship and materials. The room safe didn't have batteries so you couldn't use a combination, so they give you the maintenance key. I saw the same safe on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $45. Two lights in the hallway didn't work, and the rest of the hall lights were on a motion detector that only activated from the end furthest from our room, so total darkness walking down the hall until you get there.
Service was good (they had no one but us to wait on). The food was also good. We had all-inclusive. I asked for Captain Morgan rum and was told that it would cost extra -- only the cheap liquor was included.

Room tip: The junior suites aren't any better than the standard rooms
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank OregonTraveller71
john0123, Owner at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

This reviewers first response of 2 stars was removed by TripAdvisor on August 11,2016.Now the reviewers posts us as one star.The reviewer talked to the manager several times,that they had no problems and everything was fine.All guests are given a key for the safe and the safe has batteries,so the guest chooses which way they want to operate the safe. As for lighting in the hallway if there is a problem advise the staff so the issue can be fixed.Do not know where the hotel is in need of many repairs in the common areas,like chipped and broken stair treads,ratty pool deck.
I thank the guest for stating service and food was good.
Guests got to realize that management needs feed back when they are staying with them,not when they return home.When guests state everything is fine and no problems with the hotel yet post a review with problems,which version of the consumers story is true.