“Worth it for the stay in the rainforest”
Review of Pachira Lodge

Pachira Lodge
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is locating on the river, in the rainforest. Rooms are located in cabins and need a bit of an update, but overlook it for the fact you are staying in the forest. It's a bit of an adjustment to be waking up to screaming monkeys and other wildlife. You can also hear everything that's going on in rooms next to you. The pool area is really nice and clean. Food is delicious. Wifi is free at the reception but you have to pay for in-room service. The spa was very good...getting massage outdoor was great!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelNat8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel is based in the middle if the rain forest and the experience is exceptional. This was the best hotel location I stayed in whilst in Costa Rica solely for the experience of being so close to nature.
The hotel is reached by boat alone so you are reliant on the food and drink as there us nowhere else to go but this was not a problem. All food served is buffet style but plenty of options available. There are also a number of water coolers around reception from which you can top your water bottles throughout the day.
The rooms are single storey wooden cabins throughout the resort and are basically equipped to ensure you get the true rain forest experience. Therefore there is no tv or air con. There is a roof fan however and the windows are not glazed but have insect proof mesh instead. As a result you hear the noises of the forest including the morning call around 4am from the howler monkeys. If this is not for you then neither is Costa Rica as the whole country is proud of its natural highlights.
There is free wifi around the bar or you can pay for it in your room if you can't leave the world behind.
This is a good base for the boat safaris during the day where you will see all sorts of wildlife thanks to the highly experienced guides.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank MWH_62
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was a different experience for me but I'm glad I stayed there. I know I'll value this
stay for years to come.

For those who know nothing about this place, it requires a 1+ hour boat ride to there. It
is in the middle of the rainforest and there are monkeys, sloths, iguanas and other animals
on the resort grounds. Other must-knows include that it has no air conditioning and toilet
paper can't be flushed in the toilets. There also isn't hot water in the bathroom sink.
All of these facts are neither good nor bad, they're just facts.

I found my cabin to be very clean and I thought the resort grounds were immaculate. The
staff was friendly and I thought the food was good. I used the spa and I found their
prices to be extremely reasonable. I had read that the shower water was never going to get
hot but I didn't find that to be the case at all. Also, they have an area dedicated to
free WIFI. I had no problems getting a signal.

I did find various creatures in my room (ants, lizards, crickets) but I expected that since
I was in the middle of the rainforest. It was annoying to have to put the toilet paper in
the bathroom trash can but I realize that they probably don't have the best sewer system.
The thing that bothered me the most was that there was no hot water in the sink. I like
washing my hands with hot water after I use the bathroom and I just felt like my hands
were never disinfected, no matter how much soap I used.

It should be noted that the animals to have a tendancy to wake you up in the morning
before you're probably ready to get out of bed, but I was expecting that. What I wasn't
expecting is that I would have to use the comforter on the bed in the evening. I thought
it got down-right chilly in my room. One thing to note is that the room was always damp
so don't expect towels to be dried immediately and you might want to put important papers
in your suitcase or in plastic bags. Also, be sure you don't accidentally take home a swim
or bath towel because you will be charged for it.

All in all, I enjoyed my time here. If someone is up for this kind of adventure, I would
highly recommend it. It just wasn't my thing but I wouldn't discourage anyone from coming
here. I just wanted others to know what to expect while coming here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank citygalSTL
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel is comfortable albeit 'rustic'. The room had a couple of double beds, rocking chairs on the terrace, safe etc. The food is tasty enough although the lack of variety meant a couple of nights was our limit! Bar was nice, although quite quiet when we were there.

The company is very efficient with transfers, timing for tours etc and all the staff and guides were professional and friendly (Ronnie was particularly good). The included nature tours (by boat and on foot) were enjoyable / informative and we also enjoyed wondering around Tortueguo village and beach (tip - the village shop sells drinks and ice cream!)

All in all, I would happily recommend Pachira Lodge. Gets 4 rather than 5 as not really luxurious although doubt any of the lodges in Tortueguo are given setting.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Just sitting in reception waiting for our boat back and making use of their free wifi - in this area and the restaurant the wifi connection is great even when lots of people are using it!

The service here is very friendly... the bar man in particular was very nice and one of the funniest guys we have met so far on this trip - i recommend their planters punch cocktail although they use huge measures of alcohol (not that i am complaining).

The foos is nice but the buffet does not have a huge ammount of variety.

Now to the clincher... its location! we have stayed in jungle accomodation before and this is very comfortable (hot water, 24/7 electric etc). It is set in beautiful grounds which seem tricky to navigate but once you initially find your room its quite easy. There is a lot of wild life here and as well as the magic of being wokwn up by howler monkeys at 5:00am we saw;

Snail eating snake
leaf cutter ants
iguanas
raccoons
and loads more.

This really is an animal lovers paradise and i cant fault it (even down to the refreshing turtle shaped swimming pool). I would recommend a torch because even though the paths are lit well you dont want to miss the treasures perched on the plants surrounding you (9:30 pm was a good time for seeing reptiles and amphibians)

• Stayed: November 2013