“Food ok, service unfriendly, prizes to high”
Review of De Gustibus Bakery

De Gustibus Bakery
Price range: USD 1 - USD 10
Description: De Gustibus Bakery is situated at the southern end of the village, where delicious American and Mediterranean breakfasts are served. Seat on one of our couches and enjoy our products with a cup of Italian coffee or a smoothie. At noon we’ll serve a variety of dishes made by our Italian cooks. We also offer many GlutenFree options making the "De Gustibus Bakery" a reality to discover day by day.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Most of the offered foods are something between ok and good.

The service quality at the tables is ok, as long one ist served by one of the guys. But especially the one girl serving at the tables usually, is highly arrogant and giving the (male?) guests a feeling of not being welcome. Apparently never ever somebody explained her, that smiling from time to time could be an option.
Similar behaviour behind the counter: especially during the main breakfast times the staff is apparently to much under pressure to remember and apply normal customer-friendly behaviour.

The prizes are clearly to high, for a good breakfast you have to invest the amount similar to an expensive full dinner.

The above described experiences with this place are based on several visits during a two-month stay. I understand the lack of customer-friendly behaviour as a business principal - even vIs-a-vis regular customers. This place is definitely one I will not visit again.

1  Thank Jürg S

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I only stopped in to by a chocolate croissant, which was scrumptious. I liked the ambiance, the coziness, the friendliness of the staff, all observed from the few times I had dropped in just to browse. When I return to Puerto Viejo, I will definitely lunch there.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We stopped here for lunch and returned the next day. My husband loved their pizza, it was huge and delicious. Service was always great and friendly. We picked up pastries for breakfast. Loved the gluten free zucchini bread.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

This was by far our favourite spot in Puerto Viejo. The food is absolutely delicious and the staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was very laid back and comfortable! My favourite part was one of the waitresses there was always singing along to the song playing in the bakery...the perfect pura vida atmosphere! Highly recommend!

1  Thank Alexa C
Reviewed 18 March 2018

You have to get here early or be prepared to wait for a table. Egg rancheros was my favourite, but do a mean ham and cheese omelette too.Lovely cakes and breads also.

Date of visit: February 2018