“Great location, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cariblue Hotel

Cariblue Hotel
Nanoose Bay, Canada
“Great location, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Beautiful grounds, great location directly across from Playa Cocles and a short 2 minute drive into Puerto Viejo. Staff were not very helpful, (except one staff member at the front desk and the bar staff), every time we went to the front desk I had to wait for service (even though a staff member was right there and knew I was waiting for service) and then was greeted as if I was a nuisance. Many occasions I was being helped by the girl at the front desk and then another guest or staff member came up and was helped immediately while I was "put on hold". Very rude! The restaurant is much overpriced (compared to many other eating options). Even was charged US$4 for a small tin (4 oz) of tomatoe juice!! Ridiculous!
A/C in the upgraded rooms only. Enjoyed the hammocks outside the rooms.
Thought that renting bikes for the day would be nice, $US6/day, but the chain on my wife's wasn't working quite right and eventually came off, resulting in us having to walk back to the hotel. The bikes are completed rusted out, the baskets on the front are so badly rusted I was afraid the entire time that parts of it were going to fall off and into my front tire. Considering the condition of the bikes, they should be free. If they are going to charge for bike rental, then the hotel should maintain the bikes. They looked as if they were picked up off of the beach. When we returned to the hotel and informed the girl at the front desk that my wife's chain had come off and we had to walk back, I was expecting an apology on behalf of the hotel, perhaps even for her to say they were not going to charge us. But we were once again hardly given notice and were shrugged off.
Another specific incident happened with us and I thought the manager would accomodate us out of good will and for positive customer relations, but no such thing.
This place has the "big hotel" attitude but forgets it's a small fishing town of Puerto Viejo, and the service and amenities don't warrant the attitude.
We would never return.

Room Tip: If you want A/C, get upgraded room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ironman2003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Hebrew first
Essington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Let me start by saying my boyfriend and I are extensive travelers, so I write this with experience. If you are looking for luxury, you will not find it here - go to Papaguyo. If you are looking for a base to sleep and eat while you are enjoying beautiful Costa Rica, then you will love it. Yes, there are bugs, but you are in COSTA RICA! The staff was always friendly and helpful (at all hours by the way). The beach is right across the street, and the town is a short cab ride, bike, or walk away. (literally a two minute cab ride, maybe about a 1.3 mile walk). For the price and location, this is one of the best deals in Puerto Viejo. Also, if you are thinking of doing any excursions, book through Gecko Trail Adventures. They have an office at Banana Azul, and one in town. I can't say enough about how friendly, fun, and professional they are. You can also book your transportation to and from the airport with them as well. By the way, it will be a year ago in March that we stayed here, and I still think about this place all the time. One of the best vacations I've ever been on. The ONLY thing about the hotel I didn't like were the beds, they were really hard, but we didn't stay anywhere else in Costa Rica, so that may be the way they are everywhere.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
cormacbr2, Gerente at Cariblue Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thanks a lot for your support. it is very encouraging to receive your comments. About the beds, this year we are remodeling some rooms and the beds will be King Size made in concret... much better and very nice. You would have to come back and try new beds, ja ja ja. Actually, you will be welcome any time you want to come back at Totem.
Best regards,
Mariela Pérez
Manager
Deinze, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel is situated about 2 km for the centre of Puerto Viejo. During the day you can do it by bike (they rent out bikes in the hotel), at night it's advisable to do it by taxi.

The rooms are nice and spacious. They're situated in the middle of the jungle, and still you hear the ocean. The pool with poolbar is really nice, warm and clean.

Reception staff are really helpfull.

We never ate in the hotel restaurant since it's a lot more expensive than the great restaurants in the neighbourhood. (Stashu's, Amimodo (on the beach), Koki beach, ....)

When leaving the hotel you just cross the road and are on playa cocles. You must know that the waves are huge and there are heavy rip currents, so you can't swim here... You should go up to puerto viejo to go swimming!

We would come back here next time we visit Costa Rica.

We booked a manzanillo - gandoca trip in our hotel, and that was really beautifull. We were picked up at the hotel, and went to Manzanillo, an extremely beautifull beach and piece of jungle only 15 km from Puerto Viejo. We got lucky and were the only ones taking the tour that day, so we had our personal guide, Carlos. If you go there, ask for Carlos... He explains and tells everything with so much love for nature that you want to buy a piece of jungle just to preserve it.... The hike was rather hard (high humidity and slippery) but really worth it... We saw sloths, parrots, a viper, howler monkeys, red frogs, ...

The day after we went to Cahuita by bike (22 km) and walked through the natural park. We saw lots and lots of animals... howler monkey, capucinmonkeys, racoons, iguanas, parrots, .... You don't need a guide for this park... It's a long stretch next to the beach... Make sure you bring a lot of water, your bathingsuit and a towel....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SSVO
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We are a group of 4 middle aged couples who travel together a lot, and just returned from Costa Rica and spent 5 days at Cariblue. Being our first trip to the Caribbean side, we were very pleased with the area overall, and exceptionally pleased with Cariblue. I reserved through their website, and when we arrived, our rooms were waiting, and were as we reserved. The resort is beautiful, well maintained,and had all that we wanted. Buffet breakfast was expansive and tasty.
Dinner was also very good. I recommend eating there, but you miss part of the experience by missing out on other restaurants in the area. We booked air-conditioned rooms, but turned it on only one night. Only negative is that our TV went out a couple of times, but you do not go there to watch TV. All in all, a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend Cariblue.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Don W
Middle Village, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

(I was unable to select the correct dates of my visit, I stayed in July of 2009) I stayed at the Cariblue Hotel during my second visit to Puerto Viejo and loved it. The room was large and clean. The bathroom was very nice with a large shower.
The pool was a very nice addition to the property and the grounds were lovely. We had monkey up in the trees right by the pool which made for great pictures.
The restaurant was ok, breakfast was the normal eggs, fruit etc. I would suggest going into town for meals.
this was the only issue... I wouldn't recommend walking the road into or from town at night. A cab isn't very expensive at all and it definitely a must.
the beach is across from the entrance to the hotel.

Room Tip: I would pick a room with a balcony